Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What does the Z licence plate mean?

I've seen some vehicles with Z prefix licence plates for sale on Supercarros and they seem to be cheaper than vehicles with regular plates.

Why?

Here's an example

Mercedes-Benz Clase ML 2008 En Venta en República Dominicana @SuperCarros.com - #380265
    Mercedes-Benz Clase ML 2008 En Venta en República Dominicana @SuperCarros.com - #377728

Two almost identical cars for sale with over $6,000 difference in price

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Z plates

"Z" plates are one of several kinds of "placas exoneradas," or "tax exempt" registrations. They plates are for vehicles that were imported without the owner having to pay import duty. Diputados and other government officials are the most frequent beneficiaries. NGOs and Diplomats are entitled to other kinds of tax exempt import registrations. I'm not sure why the resale prices you are seeing are lower than others. I guess it's possible the import duty cost relief might be getting passed through to the next buyer but I don't really know.

Another license plate type you see frequently is the "G" plate. It corresponds to four wheel drive vehicles.

Happy motoring, and congratulations for being in the market for large Mercedes-Benz cars.

Quote Originally Posted by beeza View Post
    I've seen some vehicles with Z prefix licence plates for sale on Supercarros and they seem to be cheaper than vehicles with regular plates.

Why?

Here's an example

Mercedes-Benz Clase ML 2008 En Venta en República Dominicana @SuperCarros.com - #380265
    Mercedes-Benz Clase ML 2008 En Venta en República Dominicana @SuperCarros.com - #377728

Two almost identical cars for sale with over $6,000 difference in price

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

G is the Jeepeta class , I thought -- 2 wheel drive or 4

sort of a 'non sedan' classification

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

For those 'Exonerados' I may be wrong, but I believe they're supposed to have to wait a number of years before title can be transferred to someone else...

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

cars brought in w/ residency have a 3 yr hiatus on selling..... or 5.... 3 I think

but they don't carry "Z" plates

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

5 years before they can be sold without paying a tax or penalty, regardless last time I checked, it cost RD$50,000.00 to transfer it out of the original importers name.

UPS brings us their old trucks every 5 years or so, we charge them a small fee to totally destroy them.

g'luck

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

So looking back at these Mercs with are 2008, I'm guessing the exoneration period is over.

What is required to re-register it to a "G" plate?

RD$50,000 and what else?

I'm guessing that if it was easy, then the dealer would do this and benefit on the elevated price. So my question is, "why hasn't he done it?" Dominicans will do anything for a quick easy buck....why hasn't this dealer?????

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post
    cars brought in w/ residency have a 3 yr hiatus on selling..... or 5.... 3 I think

but they don't carry "Z" plates
    Yes we brought ours in last January. It's marked right on the matricula that it can't be sold for three years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Administrator
    DR1.com