In Search of the Bright Side - Have You Seen it?

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
I lived in SD from 2002-2008...been gone six years. I'm back for my annual summer pilgrimage visiting wife's family. Previous summer trips over the past six years have always worked like this:

Step 1: I get off the plane and am immediately hit by an initial wave of happiness and nostalgia. It's nice to be back.:)

Step 2: Flash forward just a couple of days and I'm dying to get back to my home in Massachusetts.:mad:

There is no single reason for this. Lets call it the cumulative impact of things (traffic, ignorance, electricity issues, etc.) and the overall lack of visible progress. Here's the thing though - I used to get ****ed at people who came here for short visits and thought they actually knew the country and I don't want to be "that guy." Six years is a long time to be gone.

So, if you've been here for a while and have seen visible/tangible progress on a particular front please point it out to me. I am genuinely interested.

Thanks,

RHM (AKA the artist formerly known as Scandall:pirate:)

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Hi Frank,

Yeah, I couldn't help but notice you can't swing a dead cat these days without hitting a new mall. And they have everything but paying customers.

RHM

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I guess it's a matter of personal perspective. When I go down there I get depressed as heck when I have to leave and know I have to come back to work and (most times) to frigid weather in The US. Nobody understand this world...some of us want to be there, others can't wait to leave...

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
The new highway to Punta Cana is finished. You can get there a lot quicker. Rent (or borrow) a fast car, it is great fun. See if you can get one of those AMET pickups tp come out after you : )

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
@ RHM; Regarding traffic, ignorance, and electricity / water outages, things are pretty much the same. Add to that widespread corruption and the issues with extreme poverty and there you have it. The Caribbean.

"On the bright side", there have been some advances with increased tourism in part of the country including Punta Cana, Juan Dolio, and Casa de Campo. Some big changes with manufacturing companies building in Santiago and some updated roads and a new highway outside La Capital.
. Positive yes, but just doesn't change much other than adding a ray of hope that things are a little better at least for some here. Too bad this change is not much and slow to reach those that need it most.

Ya know, reading your post about getting here and being happy for a couple of days before missing your home in the states. I'm just the opposite in that when I vacation in the states, I'm happy to be there, but after a few days I can't wait to leave there and come home.

Welcome back, and I enjoyed your post.

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
jstarrebel: "I'm just the opposite in that when I vacation in the states, I'm happy to be there, but after a few days I can't wait to leave there and come home."

I felt the exact same way for six years - that's why I stayed so long. But once that started to change I knew it was time to move on. Thanks for the thoughtful reply to my question. I appreciate it.

RHM

Feb 7, 2007
The new highway to Punta Cana is finished. You can get there a lot quicker. Rent (or borrow) a fast car, it is great fun. See if you can get one of those AMET pickups tp come out after you : )

They are not AMET they are MOPC. And they are not to chase speeding drivers but help with flat tires. I am not kidding.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
They are not AMET they are MOPC. And they are not to chase speeding drivers but help with flat tires. I am not kidding.

Just showing my ignorance. This is great info. I always wondered why they were just sitting there. And now that I think about it, I did notice the letters on the trucks are different. I will have to look closer at the other ones I see, they have their lights on flashing a lot. Learn something every day. Thanks.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I lived in SD from 2002-2008...been gone six years. I'm back for my annual summer pilgrimage visiting wife's family. Previous summer trips over the past six years have always worked like this:

Step 1: I get off the plane and am immediately hit by an initial wave of happiness and nostalgia. It's nice to be back.:)

Step 2: Flash forward just a couple of days and I'm dying to get back to my home in Massachusetts.:mad:

There is no single reason for this. Lets call it the cumulative impact of things (traffic, ignorance, electricity issues, etc.) and the overall lack of visible progress. Here's the thing though - I used to get ****ed at people who came here for short visits and thought they actually knew the country and I don't want to be "that guy." Six years is a long time to be gone.

So, if you've been here for a while and have seen visible/tangible progress on a particular front please point it out to me. I am genuinely interested.

Thanks,

You might not be saying the same thing if your summer pilgrimage was changed to a winter pilgrimage.

There is nothing like going to DR while your hometown is buried in 12 inches of snow. On the way back to Mass, you might think different. lol

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR

Thanks,

I don't know if it's the water, the air, or the food..............
But it seems like the women get more beautiful here every single year..........
And...........Santiago has the most beautiful on the island...........
Now that's progress.........

B in Santiago

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
there is some progress. schools, roads, aqueducts, hospitals and other public utility infrastructure is being built. the government is giving help to the poorest in the form of solidaridad cards and re-construction of barrios. various institutions and entities offer multitude of becas to the best students. there is no more charge in public hospitals, there are free vaccinations and basic health insurance has better coverage. in SD the metro, new tunnels and new elevados have been constructed. in POP the government opened funeraria municipal and funded anfiteatro (still in construction). danilo offered low rate prestamos to the agriculture producers and those who want to start their small business.

the issue is that despite all this progress and improvements DR remains royally f**ked. violence, feminicidios, drug smuggling and robberies are more visible than ever and seguridad ciudadania have become of the most important issues plaguing DR. add to this political mess, more money being borrowed to pay off previous debts, chikungunya, drought, haitian-dominican tension and latin short temper and you will have front page news consisting solely of murder, rape, robbery and whatever other f**kery people commit. i read newspapers every day and i struggle to find anything positive.

sometimes i think the only way to live in DR is "splendid isolation". when i do stuff with friends and family i forget what a hellhole of daily annoyance DR is. at home i am sheltered, there is water, power and a feeling of certain well-being. as soon as i stick my head out of this world i am slapped in the face with noise, stupidity, aggression and other stuff that i do not want or need.

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
sometimes i think the only way to live in DR is "splendid isolation". when i do stuff with friends and family i forget what a hellhole of daily annoyance DR is. at home i am sheltered, there is water, power and a feeling of certain well-being. as soon as i stick my head out of this world i am slapped in the face with noise, stupidity, aggression and other stuff that i do not want or need.

I can relate. Back in the day I couldn't sit still and was always out and about. Now I just cocoon in place and venture out when I have to.

RHM

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
I, too, live in Mass. with family in Santo Domingo. I am fortunate to be able to travel at a discounted retiree rate and go back and forth frequently. I find about two weeks in one country is as long as I can go without wishing I was in the other. Bronxboys suggestion of moving your visit to the winter would likely lengthen your appreciation of the island. As regards any improvements, they are not glaringly obvious. I think the roads (mostly highway type) have been improved. My impression is that corruption, as a way of life, is now more out in the open which is a first baby step at maybe, possibly making an attempt to possibly start to do something about it. Maybe. Also, I don't think I am being accosted quite as much as I used to be to buy sex and drugs and etc. Maybe because I'm older and the pimps don't see me as such a mark any more.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
After 20 years living here, most things are worse.
But you get to pay MORE for them!!!!!!
You called it "Cocooning", I call it "Circling The Wagons"!!!!!!!!!
As luck would have it, I moved here after living in MASS. for 25 years, worked at the MGH.
I really enjoy my visits to Mass!
My sister lives on the Cape, how clean is route 6?
Immaculate!
My son lives in Littleton, perfect!
"Yankee Go Home",.....and take me with you!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC