PUCMM?

C

catherine

hey does anyone know if this is true. I was told that if you attend pucmm here in santiago that you can use that diploma like anywhere for example NY. So that you can start a career here for example like law and then just take that diploma to NY, specialize there in NY in a specific law compartment and then work in NY. Is that for real?

T

Tgf

While PUCMM is a fine university with solid credentials, law, medicine, and other professional degrees are not interchangeable from country to country or even state to state. You need to pass the state licensing examinations to practice. I imagine you would be taught about Dominican law and not U.S. legal practices, so you would probably be deficient in the legal knowledge to pass state Bar exams. You would have to pass the Bar in N.Y. in order to practice law in that state.

I think what you heard was that comparable undergraduate and graduate degrees in such fields of Liberal Arts and Sciences will be credited as equal to comparable degrees in U.S. institutions. And they will, in just about all cases. Forinstance, if you have a degree in history from PUCMM and apply to graduate school in the U.S., you should be credited with having completed a full undergraduate degree. Then, once accepted into a program, the program advisors may or may not advise you to take a few additional courses to make up for any deficiencies in your undergraduate program (just like they would for any other student from any other institution in the U.S. coming into their program.

Hope this helps.

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

Re: Man gets 30 yrs.for kidnapping

I mentioned in a post several days ago that crimes against women, of any type, will be punished severely by Dominican Courts. Well, yesterday a Dominican York drug dealer Victor Echavarria was sentenced to 30 years in jail for kidnapping the 62yr. old mother of a fellow drug dealer because her son took US$80 thousand from a drug deal. Apparently the Dominican York dealer thought it was proper to punish another criminal using this tactic, which is pretty common between Dominican drug dealers. A word to the wise:Law 24-97 for the protection of women and children goes very far and very wide and crimes that are otherwise trivial to lawmakers will become serious enough if perpetrated on women and children.

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

Re: On the other hand..sex won't help

On the other hand, even women can get in deep trouble in DR if they think they can get away with something because of their sex. Also yesterday, an American female teacher from a famous top American school in Santo Domingo was shot in her arm by a policeman for an apparent theft attempt. The story goes that the teacher went to have a computer repaired and was not satisfied with the repair job and when she wanted her money back and was rejected, she went to the cash register and took some money. She fled the place and a policeman took chase and a shot. She has been fired by the school and an investigation is in the works by police. Shes was hospitalized.

H

hillbilly

Basically, tgf is right.

The degrees from the PUCMM are recognized anywhere in the world.
However, degrees such as law, medicine, dentistry, and arquitects are obliged to pass local boards or bars.

This is logical. Arquitects are bound by building codes that in the states are part of the curriculum. Lawyers must know the local codes and in the case of Dominican-formed lawyers the entire system is different (British Common Law vs. Napoleonic Code).

In any case, degrees in Business, engineering, physical therapy, education and nursing have been accepted for graduate studies with no problems. The success rate for first time pass grades on the new medical boards for foreign students is near 90%, and arquitects can have their degrees validated and homologized at local universities which offer the degree. It is expensive and time consuming but it can be done. The same with dentists.

HB

C

ChicacagoChris

Re: Basically, tgf is right.

Other than I believe the State of California, in order to sit for a bar exam and become licensed to practice law by passing that bar exam, the candidate is required to have a four year college degree along with graduating from a law school accredited by the American Bar Association. PUCMM is not accredited by the ABA and by virtue of that fact one could not sit for a bar exam in at least 49 states here in the U.S. I would also have serious doubts as to whether California would allow a PUCMM law school graduate to sit for its bar exam.

H

hillbilly

Jeez, CC that is what I said! They are

incompatable law systems...I think Louisiana uses the napoleonic Code but even they require a US law degree to sit for the bar.

Lot different from 150 years ago, huh Chris??

HB

I

ivan

Re: Jeez, CC that is what I said! They are

I went to La Ucamaima when it was not "Pontificia" and met a lot of american students who were studying medicine. I subsequently moved to The US and ran into people who had aced their exams and were practicing stateside. I was fortunate enough to be able to "transfer" my skills after a few rigorous months of certification exams and got a teaching job. (I am a dominican, I am proud to say.) Engineering is another field in which The DR has lost a lot of young talent to The US. Law is a different story for obvious reasons. The sad part of the story is that of those students in my education classes, most left the field to do something else with their degrees. Others were able to get teaching jobs in mostly urban school systems on the easter seaboard of The US. Now, after 20 years, it pains me that not much has changed for schools, children and teachers in The DR.

C

criss colon

Re: Jeez, CC that is what I said! They are

I knew that you and Chicago Chris were "old",but I didn,t know you went back 150 years! Wow! I,m impressed! Criss

C

ChicacagoChris

Re: Dude! The devil knows because he's old!

I'm older than dirt.

J

JohnM

Re: Law Career in U.S.

In regards to the legal profession, it is true that you must pass a state (Board) Bar Exam in order to be licensed. Usually, your license is not transferrable from state to state. (Some Exceptions)

Also, every state but California requires that you obtain a degree from an ABA approved Law School, prior to taking the Bar Exam.