trip to SD for a new cedula

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
just a quick update on the situation. i went today to SD to change my cedula. the whole process took 25 minutes. no copies of your documents necessary, they take copies on the spot. you need passport, valid residency and old cedula. everything is super quick and efficient. ladies need to wear tops with sleeves and to remove jewelry for the picture. the new expiry date corresponds with the residency card. easy peasy.

i was glad to see no queues and JCE working at their usual speed. it's a good time to go.

it kinda felt guilty to travel to SD for so many hours just to spend 25 minutes in the government office so after lunch in pat'e palo i felt obliged to walk around zona colonial. lots of work being done. a lot more work needed.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Where in SD did you go? Surprised you had to come all the way to SD for that. I noticed at SDQ airport they have a place set up where you can exchange your cedula. It is located on the departure level. Why couldn't they do the same throughout the country?

Oh well, another one of the joys of living in SD.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
JCE on gregorio luperon. foreigners can only renew their cedulas in SD.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
JCE on gregorio luperon. foreigners can only renew their cedulas in SD.

They have not yet figured out how to network computers in the DR so that this can be done in any JCE office near where you live.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
just a quick update on the situation. i went today to SD to change my cedula. the whole process took 25 minutes. no copies of your documents necessary, they take copies on the spot. you need passport, valid residency and old cedula. everything is super quick and efficient. ladies need to wear tops with sleeves and to remove jewelry for the picture. the new expiry date corresponds with the residency card. easy peasy.

i was glad to see no queues and JCE working at their usual speed. it's a good time to go.

it kinda felt guilty to travel to SD for so many hours just to spend 25 minutes in the government office so after lunch in pat'e palo i felt obliged to walk around zona colonial. lots of work being done. a lot more work needed.

That's interesting! I once went to the JCE to get a copy of my birth certificate and it took me about the same time. I couldn't believe how fast I was out. It was also cheaper. In my hometown, I had been trying to get it for almost two weeks, and every time I went there was "no system".