Sanity check my budget?

WheeledOne

May 28, 2014
Hello, everyone.

I've been working on an estimated budget for my possible move to the DR.

- My goal is to live well, but not luxuriously.
- I need 3 bedrooms, one for me, one for guests, and an office.
- I will use AC, but I like it warm, so only a little.
- I am online a lot, so I want the fastest Internet I can get.
- I'm in a wheelchair and will be paying caregivers.
- I eat very little, and don't drink much.

So, here are my estimates. I made them with Santo Domingo in mind, since it would be the most expensive option.

Rent (3br, 2ba)$1,000/mo.
Groceries for 2$300/mo.
Dining (1-2 nights a week)$180/mo.
Cable TV$10/mo.?
Phone$15/mo.?
Mobile$30/mo.
Internet$100/mo.
Electricity$200/mo.?
Caregivers (2 shifts a day)$400/mo.
Maid??
Health Insurance$70/mo.
Med. Evac. Insurance$43.75/mo.
Clothing$50/mo.
Total$2,398.75/mo.

Beyond those monthly expenses, I'll need 3-5 months rent as a deposit, right? And an emergency fund would be prudent, but I'm not sure exactly how much... $10,000 feels safe-ish? Plus an "eject" ticket back to the US if **** goes haywire?

Of course, I left off the biggest expense: my novia and her extended family. I won't be able to budget that one until I'm over there, though. My level is whipped-ness has yet to be determined.:ermm:

So, how wrong am I? ;)

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
You shouldn't have any problem with the amount of 2400 a month..........
Now, the extended family is a whole other matter.........

B in Santiago

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i would make it:
rent: 500-750 dollars. it is still a lot more than many pay here but you need ground floor, no stairs, easy access, full furnishings and so on.
groceries: 500 dollars. it includes basics such as soaps, shampoo, washing powder and so on. mix of local and imported foods.
cable+phone+internet: from 30 to 200 dollars (depending on what's included). this can be bought as a package (depending on a location). note that sometimes high speed internet does not work as well as you'd think because the service can be patchy. lower down the speed and all is well.
caregivers: 500 dollars. i assume this is for 2 people, 250 dollars each? less if the shifts are shorter and/or you are only employing one person.
maid: 200 dollars. don't get talked into paying more.

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Normally house phone, TV, and Internet come as a pkg price.............
He's figuring a combined total of $125 U.S. per month = RD 5400 per month more or less........
This should get him a pretty good pkg with very fast downloading.........

B in Santiago

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
What numbers would you put for those, AE?

Thanks for the feedback!

We have a lower package with SKY for cable TV, cost is just under 1100 pesos a month. We went for the cheapest one because it is an 18 month contract and we're only in DR 4-5 months a year.

Fish is right, if you live where they offer the triple packages for phone/TV/internet, it may be less than you're budgeting. Where we live there is no wired anything.

Food isn't cheap in DR. You may not eat much, but if you're going to have help in the house - caregivers, maid, etc. - it's normal to feed them. We're 2 people, but we feed the maid and caretaker at least one [usually two] meals a day. We aren't extravagant, but I'd say we spend about $800 a month there. We don't eat out much, mostly because there aren't many restaurants near us except the beach places, but when we eat out in SD it's not cheap. I can't see you eating out 6-8 times a month for $180.

texan

Apr 1, 2014
His cable, internet, phone is $125 when you combine it. You should be able to get a package for those three. Do you want a data plan on your cell phone or just buy prepaid minutes. Incoming calls are free (cell) you just pay for outgoing.

Depends on what kind of food you eat. Do you buy name brand or generic ? Food at the grocery store can be more expensive here depending on what you are buying.

How about transportation to and from going out to eat and other places? Do you plan on renting a furnished apartment or unfurnished ?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
In Santo Domingo $1,000 and up would be a good estimate for a 3BR-2Bath. If you need an easily accessible apartment, in an apartment building, that may require a lot of searching. A lot of the apartment buildings in SD D.N. the ground level is parking and quite a few of them there are obstacles in accessing the elevator.

It might be helpful if you use a rental agency to do the hunting for you.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
To the OP: $2400 is a fortune here and I don't spend that much by far and we are 2 adults and 3 kids in private schools. My advice is to not depend on gringo retirees who eat out 5 times a week and drink more than your average Dominican. I will be glad to give you real numbers if you want.

WheeledOne

May 28, 2014
To the OP: $2400 is a fortune here and I don't spend that much by far and we are 2 adults and 3 kids in private schools. My advice is to not depend on gringo retirees who eat out 5 times a week and drink more than your average Dominican. I will be glad to give you real numbers if you want.

I would definitely appreciate your input, either publicly or privately, whichever you prefer.

Thanks!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I would definitely appreciate your input, either publicly or privately, whichever you prefer.

Thanks!

You can send me a pm if you'd like. The fact is if you can make a few adjustments you can make it here in the DR on a lot less money that the States as long as it isn't in SD. I am referring to not eating out at nice restaurants frequently, buying mostly "comfort food" and living w/o ac for the most part. I have been living like this for the last 8 years btw.

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
Put tv/phone/internet (20mb fiber optic) at 200$/mo total

And yeah groceries for 2 4-500$/mo seems more reasonable, unless you only eat cheap stuff ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
WOW..............
I'm downloading at 8mb, and that's fast................

B in Santiago

if he really wants fast internet, like i do, 20mb is perfect.

I work at home with my computer and sometimes i wish i had more then 20mb, but in DR its too expensive.

I use to have 40mb in Canada for same price as i pay 20mb here, i miss that.

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Jean, If you don't mind me asking, what company do you have service with?
I wouldn't mind 20mb complete for 200..........
Do you get the full 20, or a little less or more.........
I have a new contract with Claro, and I was under the impression that for home use, 10mb was the max.......
Please correct me if I am wrong.........

B in Santiago

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
Jean, If you don't mind me asking, what company do you have service with?
I wouldn't mind 20mb complete for 200..........
Do you get the full 20, or a little less or more.........
I have a new contract with Claro, and I was under the impression that for home use, 10mb was the max.......
Please correct me if I am wrong.........

B in Santiago

I am with Claro also.

You have to opt in for fiber optic, and its for my house also, I know they dont have fiber optic everywhere tho.

My plan is 8k pesos (either little bit more or less) for HD TV, phone with 700 minutes local or international and unlimited 20mb/2mb down/up, i get full 20 and actually close to 23-24 sometimes, cant complain about the speed.

I had the 10mb plan at first and had it change a few months after, they dont charge nothing to switch your plan to a better plan and for the installation for the fiber optic.

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
I just double checked, and yes 6000rd / month plus 28% taxes.

They include a PVR for the Cable / HDTV.

I think you have to take the whole plan to have it, you cant mix a regular tv plan with the 20mb, or maybe you can but it will get to the same price.

Descripción
Multiplan Fibra Optica 20MB
Valor (RD$) 5,995.00
Total renta Multiplan Fibra Optica 20MB $ 5,995.00
El Multiplan Fibra Optica 20MB incluye:
1300 Minutos libres, (700 Minutos a EUA, Pto. Rico, México, Colombia, Venezuela, Canadá y Europa, 500 de Larga Dist. Nac. y 100 a Cel. Claro), Buzón Mensajes, Cancelación Llamada en Espera, Claro TV Avanzado, Conferencia, Conoce Quien Llama Plus, Contrato Mantenimiento, Desvío Llamada, Internet Flash 20MB/2MB, Pqte. HD Avanzado y MovieCity, Llamada en Espera, Marcado Abreviado, Marcado Aut. Número Ocupado, Privacidad Total, Retorno Ultima Llamada, Suite Seguridad, Todos los Minutos Locales Libre

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
OK, so that's why...........
As yet no fiber optics in my area......
I am paying for 6mb, but I am receiving 8mb...........
They jump from 6mb to 10mb skipping 8...........
No sense in paying for the increase to 10 when I am receiving 2mb extra for free..........
Maybe someday FO will be available on my street........
Enjoy that 20.........I know I would...........I'm jealous........lol

B in Santiago