Equivilant to Bread Flour

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
Can someone please tell me what the equivilant to bread flour is in Dominican Republic? Both Playero and La Sirena only have All Purpose flour which is not working with some recipies I sent down. It would be really helpful if someone knows what it is called in Spanish and where it can be purchased.

Thank you.

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
Halijuah - thank the baby jesus!! I just checked the thread and I think we didnt find it 1) because I sent someone else and dont think I made it clear enough what I needed 2) it is in a different section that where I told the person to look. The comments on that thread are recent. I am sending a Canadian friend of mine tomorrow to do what Tom Meyers did and buy as much as possible!!! Thank you again.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
please note that la sirena in POP has mainly fancy flours and no regular bread flour (white). we buy that in SD...

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
Saw purity BREAD flour in Bravo in Santiago last week. Imported , so expensive! Careful, tho, last purity flour I got might have been on shelf for awhile as it had black weevils in it. RD flour never has weevils,- they shun it!!! As do I!!!

May 29, 2006
Add an egg to your recipe to increase the protein and it should help.

You can optimize the protein in your dough by doing a wet stage. Start with equal volume water and flour with the yeast and mix vigorously, then let it sit for 10-15 minutes before adding in the rest of the flour. This will fully hydrate the initial flour. I've done this overnight in the fridge on a daily basis when I've made 20-30 loaves a day for a camp I baked for. Make sure the container is big enough to allow for the mix to double in volume. A good rule of thumb is one cup of water will make one pound of bread.

Many bakers keep adding flour while kneading until the dough isn't sticky. Kneed for a couple minutes, then let the dough rest for 5-10 before kneading again. Just like a dry sponge, it takes time for the flour to soak up water. Too much flour in the dough will prevent proper "oven spring" and give you over-dense bread.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
If you EVER ate bread, you already know!!!!!!!!!
They come with the flour, they don't burrow into the bags.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Rye + Wheat

Can someone please tell me what the equivilant to bread flour is in Dominican Republic?

Well, "bread flour" is a very vague term. :ermm:

You can make bread from various types of flour, depending on the the type of the cereal (wheat, rye, corn, rice, sorghum, tapioca, etc.) and how it was ground. The latter would determine its texture and contents.

As said, I use 70% rye ('centeno') and 30% wheat ('trigo'); as pure as I can get these flours.
I do not use bread mixes or flour blends, they usually have chemicals in them (read the label...).

donP

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Protein Enriched Flour

They come with the flour, they don't burrow into the bags.

Hmm, but the flour/pantry moth somehow gets into the bags.
Then their larvae/caterpillars can be found when sifting the flour.

Maybe this is where the term "Protein Enriched Flour"comes from.... :cheeky:

donP

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
Ewwwwwwww.....

Hmm, but the flour/pantry moth somehow gets into the bags.
Then their larvae/caterpillars can be found when sifting the flour.

Maybe this is where the term "Protein Enriched Flour"comes from.... :cheeky:

donP