Water Crisis

luvvinit

Sep 2, 2013
I love the fact that the country has a water crisis and idiots like the International School in Sosua are using sprinklers to water the football pitch.................... READ THE PAPERS...........
My grass is brown, my plants are not liking this very much, but I choose to live here and understand there is a water shortage. Get a grip people, STOP watering your grass and washing your cars, think of the poor here who are having to pay a fortune RD500 for water.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I love the fact that the country has a water crisis and idiots like the International School in Sosua are using sprinklers to water the football pitch.................... READ THE PAPERS...........
My grass is brown, my plants are not liking this very much, but I choose to live here and understand there is a water shortage. Get a grip people, STOP watering your grass and washing your cars, think of the poor here who are having to pay a fortune RD500 for water.

Most of the poor are not paying for water and when they do it's about 200 pesos per months. If even 10% of them shut off their hoses when they weren't using them you would have enough water to water ten gold courses. The water wasted here is incredible.

luvvinit

Sep 2, 2013
I agree, but it doesn't give gringos the right to abuse this water crisis. It is like saying, "I got robbed by a Dominican" so that makes ALL Dominicans bad............

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
Here in Santiago 2500 gals will set you back $1500 (pesos) - not cheap when you consider that my normal bill from Corassan is $900 ((pesos)

Most of the poor are not paying for water and when they do it's about 200 pesos per months. If even 10% of them shut off their hoses when they weren't using them you would have enough water to water ten gold courses. The water wasted here is incredible.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Here in Santiago 2500 gals will set you back $1500 (pesos) - not cheap when you consider that my normal bill from Coraasan is $900 ((pesos)

2500 gallons is a lot for a month.........
Figuring you meant a month because you compared with a monthly water bill of 900.........

B in Santiago

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
2500 gallons is a lot for a month.........
Figuring you meant a month because you compared with a monthly water bill of 900.........

B in Santiago

We use a lot more than that, I guess because we have so many things growing that need water/irrigation. We refill our cistern every couple of days, and the 550 gallon tinaco only seems to last 2-3 days [washing dishes, showers, laundry mostly]. Thank God we have a well.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
The poor pay 200/month? I don't consider myself poor, we pay 400 pesos per month for all the water we want....are there people paying more?

luvvinit

Sep 2, 2013
i pay for my water and i will use it as i see fit. don't tell me what to do.

Well you obviously don't give a damn about anyone else but yourself........... So good to see that you care so much about the beautiful country that has allowed you to stay............. BRAVO

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
i pay for my water and i will use it as i see fit. don't tell me what to do.

Exactly this. Specially that its not purified water, if i pay for it im gonna use it as i wish.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

luvvinit

Sep 2, 2013
Why am I so shocked that some ignorant gringos feel like this? If we were in our own country and there was a water shortage, if you are caught washing your car or watering your lawn, you would be paying a huge fine or worse.........

Viajero

Bronze
Dec 16, 2011
http://dr1.com/forums/north-coast/144560-re-water-situation-sosua.html

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Well you obviously don't give a damn about anyone else but yourself........... So good to see that you care so much about the beautiful country that has allowed you to stay............. BRAVO

if you want to give away all your belonging to the poor and needy - please, go ahead. but keep away from my wallet, this is my business.

The idea is to use it sparingly so it doesn't stop coming out, whether you pay for it or not.

my cistern is full. i use the water how i want and need to use it. i do not waste it by leaving the tap open.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Here in Santiago 2500 gals will set you back $1500 (pesos) - not cheap when you consider that my normal bill from Corassan is $900 ((pesos)

My mother-in-law pays 250 pesos a month, we pay 2500 for each school building, the same for the apartment building, so we are paying 7750 per month for water. I think for that price I'll water the plants enough to keep them green. Thankfully I live in Jarabacoa where it's dry but not as dry as the rest of the country.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
if you want to give away all your belonging to the poor and needy - please, go ahead. but keep away from my wallet, this is my business.

my cistern is full. i use the water how i want and need to use it. i do not waste it by leaving the tap open.

I don't think it has anything to do with your wallet. If there is a water shortage, it affects everyone. We just all need to be a little more careful than usual to make sure there is enough for all of this precious commodity.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
listen, i have my own cistern of water i paid for. i think i am allowed to use it?

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
I mean theres never any reason to waste. I dont waste water spraying my grass when theres rain that can do it, but im not gonna stop washing my car or my driveway that is dirty to not waste any undrinkable water.

Common sense, no need to waste it, but wont go crazy not flushing my toilet after I **** to "save" water in dr.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Why am I so shocked that some ignorant gringos feel like this? If we were in our own country and there was a water shortage, if you are caught washing your car or watering your lawn, you would be paying a huge fine or worse.........

I dont no where ure "own country" is but back in mine ( France ), when there is a water shortage, they may issue a directive not to wash cars, water gardens........ BUT they do NOT cut off the water supply......
Oh but wait a minute, when there is no water shortage in the dr, u only get a couple of hours of water a day anyway, so.....

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
When theres a water shortage in DR, I pay 1400pesos a truck to fill my cisterna, thats the reality, on top of the monthly fee i get charge on, for water i sometime dont get at all.