isla soana

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
i am planning on taking a short trip to santo domingo from 12 august till the 21st
i have never made the trip to isla soana before and would like to do it this time...i donot want to do it on a tour boat with a load of other people
is it possible to hire a boat and captain to do the trip for two people ...any idea on cost or any recommendations on where to find someone
i will also stay in a hotel the night before ...so we can be up early the next morning...any recmmendations for this
thanks in advance

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Yes, you can hire a small boat and captain from Bayahibe, we've always done it that way. Haggle hard for the price, and bear in mind that it will cost more to go as far as Mano Juan, the village on the island. Otherwise they will just take you to the nearest beach which is not as interesting. Trip should always include the 'piscina natural' and the mangroves. We spoke to a fisherman known as Mesye who fixed us up with a friend with a better boat. I can't remember the exact price but 7000 pesos rings a bell!
The Hotel Bayahibe is perfect for the night before.

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
If you go from Bayahibe the boat will hug the coastline along a national preserve park (forgot the name) before shooting out to the island. The water along this route is shallow and crystal clear. If you swim, ask Cappy to stop at "la Picina Natural" (Natural Pool) for a dip.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The national park is Parque Nacional del Este. Saona island is part of the park.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
thanks for all the info...this is my first trip to d.r. in august ...normally I go February or march