Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Those Damn Ants....Whats the Secret To A Good Nights Rest ? ?

I've been here in the DR for extended stays and have always stayed on upper floors with weekly maid service. As we all know, Ants are everywhere and usually congregate in the kitchen/kitchen sink areas if/when they do. I keep my place spotless but don't mop the floors daily.

I don't care when I see them as they are a fact of life here. However......does anyone have any home grown secrets to ensuring those little buggers don't crawl into bed with you at night ?. Personally I spray the four bedposts and bed frame with a little bug killer and hope that forms a consistant "perimeter" that will keep them away. My sheets are laundered twice a week.

I;ve woken up in the am with a few bites only over the course of the last few weeks. However a 100% or close to it, safeguard would be welcomed.

Cheers....

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

the ants have a nest outside thats home base. They only come looking for food and once they find any they come back. In order to stop them you have to find the nest and get rid of it. Takes some detective work and a smart exterminator. Killing them in the kitchen will not stop them as you are only killing the advance party and the scouts. Follow the trails backwards to find out where the nest is located. Trees, voids in concrete etc. are frequent spots.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Arsenic powder is effective once you find the nest. Not the little bottles of ant killer paste.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

We put aspartame (splendor) with a little honey by the side to attract them. They take the crystals back to the nest and no more ants for a while.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Available over the counter from the veterinario 'Carbamato Carbaril' insecticide powder. Sprinkle it on their pathways and the ants take it back to the nest on their feet. Takes out the whole colony, not just those out and about in the house.

6. Likes retiree liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

There is a chalk that is sold.. or maybe more or a crayon? Ask for it at the hardware or colmado "contra hormigos". When I was visiting a Peace Corps worker in Pedernales, who lived without a fridge, she used to hang her cheese in a plastic bag on the wall and draw a circle around it to prevent the ants from getting in.

But are you sure those are ant bites and not mosquitos?

If the ants are in bed with you I would think that you would have a lot more bites.

I took up my own "housekeeping" in Las Terrenas and was sitting at the table and started to suddenly burn all over. I looked down on the floor and saw a swarm of ants about as big as a baseball.. they were fire ants.. WOW.. The BEST thing for them is Clorox.

But you should be able to follow the trail and get the nest,

Scary that aspartame kills them.. Pouring Clorox on the nest will do it to.

More Cloro..

8. Likes PeterInBrat liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Move the bed away from the walls. It, or the sheets, can not touch any wall.
    Then you only have to worry about the legs.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thx for all the great info......any more?

Bar Guy

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

In Canada I use a mixture of Icing Sugar and Baking Soda (Google it).

I tried it in Cuba. It worked for part of a day, then the humidity made the Baking Soda react, thus losing it's benefit.

12. Likes N/A liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aname4me View Post
    Move the bed away from the walls. It, or the sheets, can not touch any wall.
    Then you only have to worry about the legs.
    Put some Vaseline around each leg of your bed frame. They can't cross it. Shower before bed and keep any street clothes off of it.

I suspect one reason Dominican are such vigorous house cleaners is to prevent ants.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast