Papi, Im pregnant, what are the mother's rights then

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
hola, if the chica is pregnant and it happens that papi is the clearly identified father, what happens then, what are the woman's right before the child is born and after he is born?
That brings a lot of questions...
Is the child automaticly dominican and citizen of the country of his father? Does he get both passports?
What about the mother? Does she get the citizenship of the father as well?
and so on...

PapiGonzalez

Banned
Jul 21, 2014
Different for the UK. The child does get both nationalities once the father goes through all the BS, and there is no need to prove an income etc. Born to a British subject, you are rightfully British. I think the thing that puts many off is the amount of documents and hoops to overcome and the government and passport office are hopeless as far as assistance goes.
The mother has no rights, she can stay in DR.

Any man that has an inclination to take his sexy new chic to his native country to live is an idiot anyway. In DR you are special, in your home country you are just another face, an ugly one and there are many many good looking young chaps sitting waiting for a sexy young chic wih broken accent and willing to open her box of chocolates to anyone a little slimmer, better looking, more her age and slightly more interesting than you. Oh, and probably with more cash, keep em in the DR if you're intelligent. Paying for a visa for another guy to take her away is stupid, yet inevitable.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
It will help if you identify the country of the father for us.

Here are the laws for the US Acquisition of U.S. Citizenship by a Child Born Abroad

As you will see, if the couple is NOT married, the baby will have US citizenship ONLY if the father agrees to support her until she is 18.

As for the mother, I do not believe that having a child of an American brings her any special rights unless the father brings her over as a wife, supports her, etc. OR the child does when she can support her after 18.

The child has to be acknowledged by the father and registered at the US Embassy here

Acquisition of U.S. Citizenship by a Child Born Abroad

Birth Abroad to One Citizen and One Alien Parent in Wedlock
A child born abroad to one U.S. citizen parent and one alien parent acquires U.S. citizenship at birth under Section 301(g) of the INA provided the U.S. citizen parent was physically present in the United States or one of its outlying possessions for the time period required by the law applicable at the time of the child's birth. (For birth on or after November 14, 1986, a period of five years physical presence, two after the age of fourteen, is required. For birth between December 24, 1952 and November 13, 1986, a period of ten years, five after the age of fourteen, is required for physical presence in the United States or one of its outlying possessions to transmit U.S. citizenship to the child.) The U.S. citizen parent must be the genetic or the gestational parent and the legal parent of the child under local law at the time and place of the child?s birth to transmit U.S. citizenship.

Birth Abroad Out-of-Wedlock to a U.S. Citizen Father ? ?New? Section 309(a)
A person born abroad out-of-wedlock to a U.S. citizen father may acquire U.S. citizenship under Section 301(g) of the INA, as made applicable by the ?new? Section 309(a) of the INA provided:

A blood relationship between the person and the father is established by clear and convincing evidence;
The father had the nationality of the United States at the time of the person?s birth;
The father was physically present in the United States or its outlying possessions prior to the child?s birth for five years, at least two of which were after reaching the age of 14.
The father (unless deceased) has agreed in writing to provide financial support for the person until the person reaches the age of 18 years, and
While the person is under the age of 18 years --
the person is legitimated under the law of his/her residence or domicile,
the father acknowledges paternity of the person in writing under oath, or
the paternity of the person is established by adjudication of a competent court.

Birth Abroad Out-of-Wedlock to a U.S. Citizen Father ? ?Old? Section 309(a) of the INA- A child born out-of-wedlock to a U.S. citizen father may acquire U.S. citizenship under the former Section 301(a)(7) of the INA as made applicable by the ?old? Section 309(a) of the INA if the U.S. citizen father, prior to the child?s birth, had been physically present in the United States or one of its outlying possessions for ten years, five of which were after the age of 14, and if the paternity of the child had been established by legitimation prior to the child reaching the age of 21. The ?old? Section 309(a) of the INA is applicable to individuals who were 18 on November 14, 1986 and to individuals whose paternity had been established by legitimation prior to that date. Individuals who were at least 15 on November 14, 1986, but under the age of 18, could opt to have their claim determined in accordance with the provisions of either the ?old? or the ?new? Section 309(a).

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
I m just wondering in general. If I understand right, the child can get the citizenship of the father and some rights.
The mother gets no rights and nothing changes for her
:)

PapiGonzalez

Banned
Jul 21, 2014
Correct!

Also partly why it is more usual for the mother to release the child to the father after the age of 5, once it has sunk in she is going nowhere with this.

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
ok but then there was a thread about dominicanas trying to get pregnant from gringos. what is their interest then?

PapiGonzalez

Banned
Jul 21, 2014
ah ok no more than 200?
And who decides that?

In reality you decide. As long as you do not put yourself in any kind of a situation where you are forced to accept what she is asking for then you can pretty much control the situation in court, she won't usaually accept at the prelim.
They will rarely ask you to pay more than Rd5 or 6,000 p/m if you have never had a family home and are unmarried. If you end up in a messy separation then stay away and never be alone for a long time. Women here will report you for physical abuse and have you locked up until you sign away your everything. For the last two years this is how women are milking men, ex pats and Doms alike, they were given an unhealthy amount of power in the combat against domestic violence and have turned it on its head and now use it to abuse men at every instance.
A pension is not worked out like it is in other worlds, it's a bit of a free for all if all you have in relation is a child. Never keep finances in DR that you are not prepared to lose I say.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
Getting USA citizenship is possible if the daddy is American. But one has to jump thru all the hoops. He has to have a n income enuff to prove to Immigration that he can support her and baby in the USA etc... But if he does folllow thru on the requirements the child and mother both have rights to USA citizenship.
Not true about the wife being in tilted to American citizenship. A green card is much more feasible, provided you can prove a family unit.
I know this from personal experience.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
I just pulled that number out of the air. Most beginning jobs here are for about that amount and I'd guess that if a man offered that the lady would agree.
Thank goodness the layers here don't know they can file in the D.R. providing they know where the father lives, and have child support in forced by American counties with the Dominican Republic having jurisdictions. All because America and the D.R. signed a treaty in the Haig dealing with international child support. Again talking from experience.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Not true about the wife being in tilted to American citizenship. A green card is much more feasible, provided you can prove a family unit.
I know this from personal experience.

Exactly true - after we were married 5 years, Mr. AE applied for US citizenship. I presume that timeline is still the same [it was well over 30 years ago]. And not only prove a family unit, you have to prove you can support the person to the US government's satisfaction in order to get a green card.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
I m just wondering in general. If I understand right, the child can get the citizenship of the father and some rights.
The mother gets no rights and nothing changes for her
:)

But the child, once he/she turns 18, can begin the process of requesting the mother. (In the US case.) It's where the term "anchor baby" comes from. The benefit of having a child born with US citizenship, is for all the family members that can legally follow (parents, children, siblings).

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
Exactly true - after we were married 5 years, Mr. AE applied for US citizenship. I presume that timeline is still the same [it was well over 30 years ago]. And not only prove a family unit, you have to prove you can support the person to the US government's satisfaction in order to get a green card.

I think it's changed to being able to file after the spouse has had the green card for three years. Still have to prove support, based on some percentage above "poverty".

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
I concede the point. Yes getting residency is step #1 and many don't go further. I married a total of 3 Latinas 2 of which got residency and the third went all the way thru the process and got her citizenship.
Der Fish

I'm assuming, in your cases, that you were helping? I think part of the OP's question, in part, involves what the mother could do in theory on her own.

Not to hijack, but did it ever get harder for you? As in, here I come with #3?

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
seems she has none :)
Then I dont really understand why so many want to get pregnant
Ok to get child support but is it that interesting????

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com

It is a great advantage to the child to have US or another foreign citizenship at birth. Think about it. Most of the Dominicans simply cannot ever get off this island. They will never qualify for a visa. But if the child is registered as a US or a European of some sort, they will have an automatic passage OUT of here. No worries about bank accounts, student visas, illegal migration, None of that. They will be Americans. Or British. Or whatever. That is a HUGE advantage.

Lots of the men here talk about the women here as if they are only interested in themselves.. ok. maybe that is true by their experience. But it is also the tradition here that the children will support the mother in her old age. That is the mother's old age insurance. So if the child can be working in a foreign country, the odds of his having a good job are far greater than here.

Curacaoleno

Bronze
Apr 26, 2013

Well a Dominican 'daddy' probably wont pay a penny! and the gringo may pay child support.. He may even be stupid to pay for her and the child. They know that many gringos may have some guild feeling and want the best for their children even if the mommy is a prozzie.. and who knows may the gringo take her to Europe or USA. The Dominican man will dissapear when he has injected his seed in her box..