Short power outage

texan

Apr 1, 2014
Our power will go out but normally for 30 minutes or less. I do not own the house so I am not going to buy a large back up system. I did bring a surge protector with battery back up and have my wifi plugged into that. So far if the power goes out I have had wifi the whole time and the unit only cost $50.

For the television and cable box I think I would need a larger unit but I can buy one. How hard would it be to have a system for one AC unit or maybe just a ceiling fan. Those KDK fans are great (we have 4 or them) and I see them everywhere. It would be a pretty cool design for KDK to have a ceiling fan with a built in battery back up for 30 minutes or more. I don't think a fan pulls a lot of power so I think the battery back up could be pretty small. I would think they would sell well in countries with power outages.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
A battery backed up system would require an inverter/charger to charge and then to take the battery power which is DC to AC to power the fans. Fans are about 60 to 100 Watts depending upon the exact fan and the speed setting. Probably double or triple the cost of such fans and add the maintenance item of having to repair the inverter and replace the batteries.

The solution you might need is a small inverter charger and two or four deep cycle batteries if you do not run AC. It is not recommended that you run AC ever with inverters because of the power they draw.