Rental car company advice

C

Cdman1674

I've read the warnings on driving in Dominican Republic I'm still thinking of getting a rental car can someone share any advice they have been renting a car in the Puerto plata area. Thanks in advance

texan

Apr 1, 2014
I've read the warnings on driving in Dominican Republic I'm still thinking of getting a rental car can someone share any advice they have been renting a car in the Puerto plata area. Thanks in advance

I use Kayak and check the prices. The first choice is a car or an SUV. I am in a Kia Rio right now and it is fine. Gas is $6 a gallon or more and this gets good gas mileage. A SUV is nicer but cost more per and get worse MPG. I have gone over a lot of the island in a Kia Rio or a Hyundai Accent. Of course I stay on the paved roads but have been to Santo Domingo, Las Terranas, Punta Cana, Jaraboca, Santiago. I am in Puerto Plata and my most common trips are the malecon, sosua,and cabarete. I was in a SUV when I went to Barahona.

I would check with your credit card company to see what they offer for insurance. The rental places always try to sell you additional insurances. Then they will tell you what your credit card doesn't cover but I don't think they know. Mine said Hyundai Accent or similar then they give me the Kia Rio. Not a big difference but I like the Accent better and I do not think they over the Accent anymore.

I used Avis several times, Europe car and a local in Puerto Plata. I had a flat once in Santo Domingo at out hotel and Avis came out in changed it. So I think if you travel a lot the chains are nice if you are going to travel away from Puerto Plata.

When you exit customs in Puerto Plata airport you walk past the car rental places before you exit the airport. You can get a better price checking online then in person. Walking to the counter they give you their higher price. If you do reserve online make sure you print it out of can see the email confirmation on your phone.

Driving is different here. But it isn't that big of a deal. Watch our for all the mopeds. Some don't have lights. They pass on both sides, drive the wrong, etc. When people pass the come into your lane head on and you yield to them. The will pass on blind curves.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
I use Alamo for over 100 rentals. Book on-line for best rates. Take out full insurance.

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
...........I would check with your credit card company to see what they offer for insurance. The rental places always try to sell you additional insurances. Then they will tell you what your credit card doesn't cover but I don't think they know.................... .

Make sure you read the fine print on your credit card rental car insurance coverage. Many credit cards that provide rental car coverage only do so domestically. Mine does provide coverage outside the USA, but has a list of countries EXCLUDED from coverage. Mine does NOT provide coverage in Isreal, Northern Ireland, Afganistan, and the DOM REP.

texan

Apr 1, 2014
Make sure you read the fine print on your credit card rental car insurance coverage. Many credit cards that provide rental car coverage only do so domestically. Mine does provide coverage outside the USA, but has a list of countries EXCLUDED from coverage. Mine does NOT provide coverage in Isreal, Northern Ireland, Afganistan, and the DOM REP.

Yes you have to read the fine print. A lot of people have Amex or some type of credit card that offers benefits. It is best to read the fine print and I also call and explain to them what I am doing. No need to double pay if you do have coverage. A lot of it depends on how long you are on vacation and if you are splitting the cost. For shorter vacations and or traveling with someone else and splitting the cost it is easier to upgrade cars.

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
I have rented vehicles from Thrifty's in POP airport 6x this year alone. For a compact car for about a week with all taxes and fees, basic liability insurance = $260-$280 for 1 week. I reserve through Thrifty.com. Check your credit card because after the first time paying full insurance I was surprised to learn that many credit cards including both my RBC visa and BMO mastercard --- include the collission and theft insurance. I recommend checking your credit card to confirm your insurance.

Also be prepared to have a hold on your credit card of $500-$1000 regardless of the company - this is why I prefer a franchise of a company I recognize from home. Walk around the car and make them mark every nick - also check under the front and rear bumper - lots of potholes here so there are many cars with the bumpers and other parts cracked underneath.

Now I personally have never had a problem here and continue to rent cars and drive here but if you do rent you better have 18 eyes because there are guys on scooters and motor bikes everywhere. At night many dont have lights. The last thing you want to do is have an accident with one of these guys because the way the judicial system works here is the family can ask you for alot of money and if you cant or dont want to pay a huge nightmare can ensue.

Recommendations:
- Dont drive at night
- Avoid big cities and towns - many beaches are not in the middle of big cities and towns and up and down the highway is usually a quick whip.

C

Cdman1674

Thanks for all the good advice, i have read to be sure and buy the "Casa de Conductore". I wonder if it's possible to just buy that coverage and have my credit card cover the rest of the rental car insurance? Has anyone had experience with this situation?

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
The potential problem with having your credit card company cover any damage that happens to the rental car is that you may have to pay for the damage to the rental company at the time it happens and your credit card company will reimburse you This could take some time and cost you much money at the time of damage. If nothing happens to the car, nothing to worry about. But if something happens, potential problems.

I read in the Avis contract where it says you have to have a letter from your credit card company that says you have coverage if you want to do it this way. This is in the fine print of course, I don't know if they ask for it. I do not know about other companies, I got the letter from my credit card company, no problem.

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
If your credit card has collision and theft - you only need liability. Thrifty, Hertz and National all are $9 per/day liability - others can be upwards of $20-$25 per/day. If you buy full coverage with the rental agency the price will increase as well if you want a lower deductable. If using your credit card, know that you will have to pay the cost of repairs on your credit card and then claim to the insurance company associated to the credit card - thats why they have you sign a blank credit card chit. If something were to pass - just cancel the card before reporting and they will only get the deposit and you can negotiate on repairs. The biggest thing to be concerned with is liability because if you hit someone that will be some big time drama here.

Thanks for all the good advice, i have read to be sure and buy the "Casa de Conductore". I wonder if it's possible to just buy that coverage and have my credit card cover the rest of the rental car insurance? Has anyone had experience with this situation?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I have rented with both EuroCar and Dollar. Both cars have broken on the road.. now, I have ridden them hard.. up and down the Haitian border so ok.. But EuroCar sent me a mechanic who took all day and arrived as a passenger in someone else;s car with only a wrench for a tool and swilling on a bottle of rum.. YIKES..

When I got back I was furious.. because I could never start the car. THEN they explained that you had to hold the key next to the light or something on the ignition for a minute or something.. Hey, I am sure I did everything. Just could never be sure that the car would ever start again when I turned it off. Never again.

Dollar on the other hand sent a team up in record time, with every possible tool and fixed an entire engine which had dropped out. Ok I should NOT have tried to cross that pasture. I really could have SEEN that it was not really a road, right? The cows would have been a clue.

I have always rented with them since. Always used my Amex. Never ever a problem Always great cars. (From then on they only gave me new ones). And I stick to the paved roads now.