looking for a stove

texan

Apr 1, 2014
Our stove is old and needs some work. I am considering just buying a new stove. At La Sierena I saw a Whirlpool WF5150D for 25,495 pesos and a Whirpool LW550S 28,595 pesos. The stove is used 2 to 3 times a day. I only looked yesterday and almost everything was closed so we only looked at La Sierena. I can look at the furniture stores today and some other places.

Let me know if anyone has seen a sale for one in the Puerto Plata area. Of course I am more familiar with the brand whirlpool then compared to the brands here you don't see in the US. I don't mind saving money but I don't want to save money now and end up needing to fix it sooner.

I didn't find much online about those model because I do not think they sell them in the US. A lot of stuff might be similar but have different model numbers.

Jan 9, 2004
Our stove is old and needs some work. I am considering just buying a new stove. At La Sierena I saw a Whirlpool WF5150D for 25,495 pesos and a Whirpool LW550S 28,595 pesos. The stove is used 2 to 3 times a day. I only looked yesterday and almost everything was closed so we only looked at La Sierena. I can look at the furniture stores today and some other places.

Let me know if anyone has seen a sale for one in the Puerto Plata area. Of course I am more familiar with the brand whirlpool then compared to the brands here you don't see in the US. I don't mind saving money but I don't want to save money now and end up needing to fix it sooner.

I didn't find much online about those model because I do not think they sell them in the US. A lot of stuff might be similar but have different model numbers.

Stoves made for the Dominican market and elsewhere are not the same as those made for the US. That is probably why you cannot cross reference the model number.

My Dominican clients prefer shipping a stove from the US, either new or used, as opposed to buying it there. I often wondered about the logic of that and discovered that....stoves are different in the DR....made for different price points and of lower quality.

The biggest difference is the gauge of the metal used throughout. I have noticed stoves in the DR just plain rusting out....and I had never seen such a thing in the US....this has to do with the thickeness/quality of the metal used.

Just sent a new Kenmore for slightly less (purchase and shipping) than you are being quoted for the more expensive Whirlpool in your post.

Note that any stove you send from the states needs to be slightly modified (inexpensive) to use propane from nat gas.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
.....Just sent a new Kenmore for slightly less (purchase and shipping) than you are being quoted for the more expensive Whirlpool in your post.

Note that any stove you send from the states needs to be slightly modified (inexpensive) to use propane from nat gas.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

More detail please. What about shipping a frig and stove from USA? Can all this be done online?

texan

Apr 1, 2014
More detail please. What about shipping a frig and stove from USA? Can all this be done online?

I would like more information also. I am in Puerto Plata. It would be a lot easier to just buy it here but I would consider buying it online. Did the store you bought it from ship it for you ?

Jan 9, 2004

Possibly. Here is how I do it.

I have used the same shipper for many years....so I have a trusted relationship.

If I purchase online from one of the majors, Sears, Home Depot, Best Buy, Walmart, I simply call my shipper who either receives the item at his warehouse, or in other cases of site to store shipping, goes and picks it up at the local store.

He then handles all the details and ships door to door. In the case of my stove, I bought it online ($399.00) with free shipping. He picked it up and shipped it to the DR, door to door, for an additional $250 which included shipping, aduana, delivery.

Got exactly what I needed without going from store to store in the DR. This may not work for everyone...but it sure works for me.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Many big store chains offer free shipping on appliances - the thing to do is find one that does, and then have them ship it directly to a mundanza [which you would have to have a relationship or account with] who would have it delivered to your door in the DR. Their shipping price would include any aduana fees. No surprises when it arrives in DR.

Check ahead of time if the mundanza will accept a credit card and be sure there is no extra charge if they do - we normally pay in cash but one time we had a large shipment and used a card, and they hit us with a 5% surcharge on the total cost.

Bob Boyd

Feb 3, 2004
Check Pricesmart online. My neighbor just purchased several large American made items, not on the floor in Santiago and Pricesmart brings them in and clears customs.

Jan 9, 2004
Check Pricesmart online. My neighbor just purchased several large American made items, not on the floor in Santiago and Pricesmart brings them in and clears customs.

A viable alternative.

Priced them out against bringing in my own stove. About a $250-300 increase in price using Pricesmart...not sure if they offer free delivery to the house....but, the stove I priced out with them was made for the US market...and thus of better quality than can be found in LaSirena etc.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

texan

Apr 1, 2014

I am looking at Pricesmart. I see a Fridgeaire model number FFGF3049LS for 37,000 pesos about $860 dollars. I checked home depot in the US and it is $629. About a $230 difference. If pricesmart has what you want it doesn't seem like a bad deal. I was looking more in the $600 range.

Would the one from pricesmart be ready to go or would it still need the conversion ? It has an electronic time also and not sure if the power surges and outages would hurt that. I could be a surge protector on it of course. But I would want everything to function without electricity.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
If the pilot is a spark ignitor, then power being out might cause the stove to not work at all. US-made stoves have a safety that turns the gas off if the burner is off. This may be disabled on US-made for RD, or the propane kit may bypass the shut-off completely and rely on the stove knobs.

Apr 10, 2006
I bought a brand new stove from Home Depot. Had it shipped directly to New York shippers office. It should be here in the next day or two. They charged me $200. to ship it door to door (to my house in Santiago).

I've done the same with my Fridge (Here is costs $3000). I bought it for $1400. Shipped for $350... came out way less than what it costs here.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
A stove made for the US will have a safety lockout on the oven if the power is off then the oven will not light!!! Have a neighbor that will vouch for this. has to plug the gas stove electronics into the inverter if she needs to use the oven an the luz is gone. top burners will normally work but the oven NO

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we have shipped some home appliances with a local mudancero in POP. arrived promptly and in a great shape.

a note in regards to non-functioning oven. we have a candy oven and it works even without power but both automatic ignition and a fan inside do not work when luz is out (it's not connected to the inversor). that makes temperature inside a bit unstable for baking.