Hi All! Pleasure to meet you...

Hi there! I'm a chef and yoga teacher from New York, have been here for 2 months now, first in Cabarete, now living in the Zone. It's not my first time on the country. I've stayed several times for 1 or 2 months but am now considering staying here long-term. I love this silly country for some crazy reason in spite of all of it's many discontents. I was overworked and disenchanted in the US and the slow pace here and distance from the increasingly insane politics and cognitive dissonance - this is exactly what I need now. That and a great tan!

I live and work in a yoga center here. It's a lovely, restored private home with a small studio. Teaching yoga is wonderful, but hardly pays the bills so I'm looking for some suggestions:

The yoga studio caters mainly to Doninicans - which is great. Everyone could use a little yoga in their life and we charge only what they can afford - which is basically half of what 1 class would cost in NY - they pay that per month. I'm looking to expand our clientele - more expats, perhaps going to larger companies here and seeing if we could secure contracts where they give yoga instruction, meditation, stress management classes as a benefit to their employees. Any thoughts?

Also, I am a chef. I had a very successful artisan food business some years ago and then decided to train more formally in kitchens large and small in New York and Virginia. I was hired as a chef almost immediately when I arrived in Cabarete, but I chose not to stay for several reasons - the main one being that I was a <gasp> White woman, from NY coming in to try to straighten things out in the kitchen. This did not compute with the locals. It was not a good fit.... I love being in the kitchen. Food is my passion. Any ideas about private chef work or small-scale catering for the expat or upper class Dominican community? My Spanish is ok, getting better. I understand everything and can read fluently... I am also totally fluent in French.

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions sincerely appreciated!

Kind regards,

Yogini

Apr 13, 2011
I don't know - maybe ship in a bunch of decent workout clothes, sneakers, etc from the US and offer it for sale to your yoga clientele to supplement some income (though you will need the money to buy it first and then resell).

CarpeDReam

Feb 17, 2006
Welcome yogini. I'd suggest you speak to the nicer gyms and maybe even country clubs in the capital (you said you live in the zone meaning zona colonial right?) ...sell them the idea that you are offering them an opportunity to boast an additional service...perhaps they'll put you on their payroll or if it's pay per person you can give the owner a percent in exchange for their space and existing members. You may even want to try universities or even international high schools (for the students, teachers, or parents).

Long shot: perhaps speak to therapists and tell them about your services...though I can't imagine too many people going to therapy due to stress in the DR (not sure what other benefits yoga has so excuse my ignorance).

Suerte!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Welcome yogini. I'd suggest you speak to the nicer gyms and maybe even country clubs in the capital (you said you live in the zone meaning zona colonial right?) ...sell them the idea that you are offering them an opportunity to boast an additional service...perhaps they'll put you on their payroll or if it's pay per person you can give the owner a percent in exchange for their space and existing members. You may even want to try universities or even international high schools (for the students, teachers, or parents).

Long shot: perhaps speak to therapists and tell them about your services...though I can't imagine too many people going to therapy due to stress in the DR (not sure what other benefits yoga has so excuse my ignorance).

Suerte!

These are good ideas - yogini, you might also want to consider the International Women's Club [I think that's the name] in Santo Domingo - for contacts and clients.

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
retired English teacher (30 years)
Welcome to dr1 forums. You have job in your body and brain--no equipment needed--that you can take anywhere in the world.
Cool. What is the name of the type of yoga you practice? Would you mind a plug for your business -- is this OK mods?? -- I'd like to stop by and try a lesson. This is one thing that I've always been interested in but never done.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Welcome to dr1 forums. You have job in your body and brain--no equipment needed--that you can take anywhere in the world.
Cool. What is the name of the type of yoga you practice? Would you mind a plug for your business -- is this OK mods?? -- I'd like to stop by and try a lesson. This is one thing that I've always been interested in but never done.

Click on her name and send her an e-mail, she cannot promote her business here.

BarAndGrillGuy

Jul 23, 2014
Hi there! I'm a chef and yoga teacher from New York, have been here for 2 months now, first in Cabarete, now living in the Zone. It's not my first time on the country. I've stayed several times for 1 or 2 months but am now considering staying here long-term. I love this silly country for some crazy reason in spite of all of it's many discontents. I was overworked and disenchanted in the US and the slow pace here and distance from the increasingly insane politics and cognitive dissonance - this is exactly what I need now. That and a great tan!

I live and work in a yoga center here. It's a lovely, restored private home with a small studio. Teaching yoga is wonderful, but hardly pays the bills so I'm looking for some suggestions:

The yoga studio caters mainly to Doninicans - which is great. Everyone could use a little yoga in their life and we charge only what they can afford - which is basically half of what 1 class would cost in NY - they pay that per month. I'm looking to expand our clientele - more expats, perhaps going to larger companies here and seeing if we could secure contracts where they give yoga instruction, meditation, stress management classes as a benefit to their employees. Any thoughts?

Also, I am a chef. I had a very successful artisan food business some years ago and then decided to train more formally in kitchens large and small in New York and Virginia. I was hired as a chef almost immediately when I arrived in Cabarete, but I chose not to stay for several reasons - the main one being that I was a <gasp> White woman, from NY coming in to try to straighten things out in the kitchen. This did not compute with the locals. It was not a good fit.... I love being in the kitchen. Food is my passion. Any ideas about private chef work or small-scale catering for the expat or upper class Dominican community? My Spanish is ok, getting better. I understand everything and can read fluently... I am also totally fluent in French.

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions sincerely appreciated!

Kind regards,

Yogini

Hi there Yogini........I had a pretty successful bar on the NC a few years back but my partners wanted a quick in and out to make some good $$$$.....We all did quite well...!!!
Would you consider getting back into it at all if the circumstances were right?

Cheers,
W.......