For the Bikers out there

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Two reasons NOT to have one here in the DR.
1., Too easy to steal!
2., Life expectancy of a "Biker" is only 20 minutes!
How many people do you see riding a "Bike"?????
They're all DEAD!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

texan

Apr 1, 2014
I see groups of people riding mountain bikes in Puerto Plata. There might be more of them here but mountain bikes cost more here then in the US and most people make a lot less money here. That is one thing I don't like about the DR it is not friendly for bicycles. If I started to ride more I think I would load my bicycle in my car and drive to the dirt roads / trails. I don't think I would ride on the main road to get there. Luckily I get tired before I can get out of my barrio so I don't worry about the main road. We can ride around El Doral without any problems.

It would be great if the main highway over here would bypass Puerto Plata, Sosua, Cabarete. Only local traffic coming into the main road over the city. The main street on Cabarete would be great if you didn't have some many vehicles driving fast and crazy up and down the street. Cabarete could be a bicycle friendly location.

The malecon (puerto plata) on the weekends they could close down have the street and make the open half a one way. They do this in Copacabana in Rio on sundays. They close have the street and that part is only open for walking, bicycles, skateboards. They could have charity 5k runs /walk.

Pattaya has a bed race once a year in Thailand. Something like that would be nice on the malecon. I know it would take a lot of police here to coordinate. But on the holiday weekends here they seem to have a lot of police and other people helping out. They would want to not do it on a holiday weekend. But I think they have enough police, paramedics and corporate sponsorship. A the local business could sponsor have a bed to race and the larger companies could have their normal booths.

Billp

Feb 2, 2013
There is GREAT mountain biking up in the hills behind Sosua. Everything from easy dirt track to technical mad man stuff! And the best part - everyone you meet out there says Hi and is friendly.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Two reasons NOT to have one here in the DR.
1., Too easy to steal!
2., Life expectancy of a "Biker" is only 20 minutes!
They're all DEAD!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Consider me posting from the grave, then; I bike almost every morning here in Bavaro.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
LT Mountain-Biking

Here in Las Terrenas there is a group of some hardy mountain-bikers.
They do their excursions on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays (different levels of difficulty).
Their leader, a Swiss guy (Louis), is a bicycle mechanic by trade and also runs a shop in town.

donP

Viajero

Bronze
Dec 16, 2011
More interested in something like this

[video=youtube;A4VRhIQPrtg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4VRhIQPrtg[/video]

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
Hey Don
I met Luis at his shop a year or so ago when i needed a repair whilst in LT for a weekend.
However, when i went back a few months ago his shop was closed....does this mean he just moved to a different location?

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Real Bike Shop in LT

Louis' Shop is now about 50 m south of Plaza Colonial on Calle Carmen.

donP

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
ha bike parts, replacements items you need when you break down same with the million motorbikes...all parts are :mostly: inferior. the owner says :good quality: crap to owner/users...maybe he could not make any money by fixing bikes ... foreigners should know the difference in quality parts . but where can we go to buy good stuff...no where...all geared to the low income mkt.. who is going to buy a better built brake system when for 14$us u get one installed that hopefully will last a couple months...so what if they dont put a lock washer on...thats an expensive part and u dont need it...d.r. mechanic to customer...