Is it me.....Or the power here in Cabarete has been haywire for 2 days now ?

BarAndGrillGuy

Jul 23, 2014
Seems that most of today and all last night the power was out ?....The inverter is taking a beating and down to its last few drops of electricity.

Am I imagining things or........ ??

W.........

jmnorr

Nov 22, 2012
We just got ours back on minutes ago in La Mulata, there are a lot of ednorte and delancer trucks on the roads.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
POP was also affected yesterday. as if father's day was not confusing enough to dominicans...

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
Not sure if related but where I am in Santiago has been having power outages more than usual the past couple of days.

texan

Apr 1, 2014
We have been having problems in El Doral (POP) also. We normally have pretty good power but it has been acting up the past couple of days. It was off again today.

BarAndGrillGuy

Jul 23, 2014
Thx for the update.."Im here at Kahunas and thank god for the 3pm happy hour start...lol
I've been happy hour chasing all day praying for the power gods to arrive...haha
BTW you guys sounded great last week when you were here. I'm assuming you were the one on the keyboards ?

W................

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Thx for the update.."Im here at Kahunas and thank god for the 3pm happy hour start...lol
I've been happy hour chasing all day praying for the power gods to arrive...haha
BTW you guys sounded great last week when you were here. I'm assuming you were the one on the keyboards ?

W................

Yes, that was me and thank you for the kind words. Looks like they fixed the power problem for now.

BarAndGrillGuy

Jul 23, 2014
Let me know the next time you or your wife is playing some where.....I went to that surf bar on that Friday night......It was entertaining as well. I live close to Gorditos...So it was a great.

W.............

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
Here in Bavaro the power never is out but then again we are paying outrageous fees. 35cents a kilowatt.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Contango can you give me a "rough" idea of the monthly electric in Bavaro. Say with ceiling fans, basic appliances, more than likely a/c at night. Figure a 2 bedroom possible 3 bedroom. My brother is still interested in buying there but was wondering about the electric. The place he was looking at had central a/c (or ability to have) I am pretty sure, just can't remember the name of it. So any type of "rough" estimate would be appreciated. Sorry didn't mean to hijack the thread......

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
Contango can you give me a "rough" idea of the monthly electric in Bavaro. Say with ceiling fans, basic appliances, more than likely a/c at night. Figure a 2 bedroom possible 3 bedroom. My brother is still interested in buying there but was wondering about the electric. The place he was looking at had central a/c (or ability to have) I am pretty sure, just can't remember the name of it. So any type of "rough" estimate would be appreciated. Sorry didn't mean to hijack the thread......

My guess would be $350 a month. If he runs AC 24/7 closer to $500 to $600. Some areas of B?varo are slightly more or slightly less meaning some complexes control the main flow from CPM ( the electric Company ) and ad surcharges. But the good news is the power is always on.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
My guess would be $350 a month. If he runs AC 24/7 closer to $500 to $600. Some areas of B?varo are slightly more or slightly less meaning some complexes control the main flow from CPM ( the electric Company ) and ad surcharges. But the good news is the power is always on.

Not cheap I see. I appreciate your reply. I didn't realize how expensive Bavaro can be electricity wise. Like you said good news almost 24/7.

DRdreaming

Jul 29, 2014
I have a 3 bedroom condo in Bavaro. I have split ac units, only in the bedrooms. My bill can go from $75/month when it is only two people, to $225/month when all 3 bedrooms are occupied. We only turn the water heater on when needed.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
This is getting ridiculous...the power in Cabarete/Encuentro...supposedly a 24 hour circuit has been out every day this week, most days from 6-12 hours. It wouldn't surprise me one bit to find out it's due to the construction of the sidewalk on the highway between Charamicos and El Batey (idiots cutting the line every time they dig)...but whatever the reason it's really starting to PI$$ me off!!

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
DavidZ,
The power cables are overhead in the area you mention but a translation of the DV* 's article shows we believe are the real reasons.

Here is a bing translation :

SANTIAGO.-EDENORTE Dominican unveiled energy suspensions occurring since last weekend in several sectors of Puerto Plata, originate in, always in different lines of transmission property of the company Dominicana (ETED power transmission).

The company reported that those events have led to unexpected departures of the energy services, affecting customers and users in a part of the mentioned province in the North of the country.

He said EDENORTE Dominican that last Saturday afternoon there were breakdowns in bar 69 kV substation Puerto Plata and Puerto Plata I-San Marcos, and Puerto Plata I-Playa Golden lines, on Saturday afternoon and Sunday night.

He reiterated that those were the main reasons for the departure of service in all the urban area of the municipality of Puerto Plata last weekend.

In addition to these faults, since recorded plenty of shots of the beach Dorada-Aeropuerto line, which has affected the service of the communities of Montellano, the aviation, Sosua, Cabarete, Sabaneta and Gaspar Hern?ndez.

These shots have also affected the operations of the substation from the Gregorio Luperon international airport, in addition to the substation of Madre Vieja, belonging to Corporation of the aqueduct y Alcantarillado de Puerto Plata (CORAAPLATA) by which the entire water supply has also been affected.

EDENORTE Dominican expressed, along with Dominican power transmission company of company technicians, working in the solution of such problems, and that he expects to solve them in the shortest possible time.

##########################################

It would appear they had multiple Sub-Station faults as well as some Transmission Faults .

This all suggests to the Electrical Engineer in the Team of overloading of the Transformers on the 69kV Substations. This problem is not going to go away if the Transformers are damaged.

It is an interesting problem and as David you say getting rediculous.

Even those with invertors have been stuggleling to keep the batteries charged.

Back to the bad old days!

Olly and the Team

Last edited:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
From the above article at least they have not been lying to me when I call to find out what is happening.