business and work permit

Eyes

Apr 30, 2012
question on business residency with a conviction of supply marijuana in my home country around 18 years ago is it not possible to obtain a business or working visa now in 2014? find this quite confusing I have 3 dependants living in Dominican republic, is it impossible now for me to run a business and legally pay taxes here?

RESIDENCY IN THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC UNDER THE NEW IMMIGRATION REGULATIONS Beginning June 1, 2012, residency status in the Dominican Republic is governed by Immigration Law No. 285-04 and Immigration Regulation No. 631-11. Foreign nationals are prohibited by statute from entering the Dominican Republic for residency purposes in the following cases: 1) Contagious illness threatening to public health, except, under certain requirements, when sponsored by relatives living in the DR. 2) Mental illness or physical disabilities, with certain exceptions. 3) Conviction for a crime (drugs, human trafficking, prostitution, terrorism, and other serious 4)

PapiGonzalez

Banned
Jul 21, 2014
I expect it depends if it was serious enough for you to have done time. If everyone who had convictions for drug related offenses couldn't get residency in DR then there would be issues. I believe it is not unusual for people to have had a run in with the law for usage (I had and had no issues at all, and know many other the same), but supplying might be a little different. You do know that supplying drugs is frowned upon in the DR:rolleyes: no one does it.:paranoid: and the government strives to keep its good international record and reputation with regards to the success on its fight to keep the country clean and free of such crime.:tired:

Hire a lawyer to jump the hoops for you, if you didn't do time then I see no issue, 18 years ago as well.

Good luck!

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
I expect it depends if it was serious enough for you to have done time. If everyone who had convictions for drug related offenses couldn't get residency in DR then there would be issues. I believe it is not unusual for people to have had a run in with the law for usage (I had and had no issues at all, and know many other the same), but supplying might be a little different. You do know that supplying drugs is frowned upon in the DR:rolleyes: no one does it.:paranoid: and the government strives to keep its good international record and reputation with regards to the success on its fight to keep the country clean and free of such crime.:tired:

Hire a lawyer to jump the hoops for you, if you didn't do time then I see no issue, 18 years ago as well.

Good luck!

Conviction "supply of marijuana" translates to drug dealer.
The lawyer will charge him a bundle...........of cash that is.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Conviction "supply of marijuana" translates to drug dealer.
The lawyer will charge him a bundle...........of cash that is.

I doubt it, you might be surprised the amount of expats with drugs convictions that have little to no problem getting residency. As long as you are not active and have not just come out of a 10 year sentence I see little problem. And did he mention 18years ago?.................This isn't the US, people are human and allowed a few mistakes in life.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You think they will know about THAT?
They have no info from then.
Do you plan to tell them???
"Come On Down" and stop worrying!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
"I'm Here"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::cheeky:

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
I doubt it, you might be surprised the amount of expats with drugs convictions that have little to no problem getting residency. As long as you are not active and have not just come out of a 10 year sentence I see little problem. And did he mention 18years ago?.................This isn't the US, people are human and allowed a few mistakes in life.

Hug, I guess that's one way to look at a conviction for being a drug dealer, a "mistake".