Avoiding The Dreaded Chick V....Mosquito Coils

BarAndGrillGuy

Jul 23, 2014
I just picked up a pack of 10 mosquito coils at Janets for 22 pesos. I've never used them before. Does anyone have any feedback on them ? ? ?.....I thought they might come in handy in the bedroom just in case as a backup. I have screens on all my windows and no AC so I do keep the door open a little each evening before I crash. I do a mosquito check before I hit the hay...but you never know where they may be hiding prior to them entering "Attack mode".

Toxic ?.
Waste of $$$
Effective?.
A Dream Come True for 22 pesos

You now the old saying....."ounce of prevention = lb of cure"...blah..blah..blah

W...............

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
very low range. i place a burning coil under the table when using computer. if you have a small bedroom you may use two of those but the smell may be noticeable.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Yes, coils will work for an hour or so as they burn. They are good for under a table etc. They do smell and I am sure they are toxic. But...

Probably a fan on you as you sleep, on high, will work best for sleeping. The mosquitos usually cannot fly against the strong current of air.

But remember these are daytime biters... so do not forget the bug spray and carry it with you,

I am sure that the young guys who wash windows and shine shoes will soon start businesses of spraying tourists with bug spray for 20 pesos..

or they should.

not much money in shoe shining flip flops.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Our house has screens on all the windows. We also use Magic Mesh on the front and back doors, but the one on the back door sometimes doesn't close completely because it's a little wider, and they sneak in. [Bringing down more Magic Mesh next trip, planning to put two on the back door, or build a wood frame around the metal frame, to make the opening smaller]. About 1/2 hour before we go to bed, we light up a coil in the bedroom, if there are any in there they leave [our room is small, if yours are large, use 2]. When we go to bed, we move the coil to right outside our door. We use a floor fan that oscillates across our bed, and sometimes turn on the ceiling fan too. Rarely got bit in 4 months, never even bothered using the mosquitero.

I also light one when I sit outside with my computer, under the table.

I found incense works well too, I bought about 30 packages of incense sticks at a yard sale for $3 [total, not each!].

May 12, 2005
61436_824163474274534_8763255415115240315_n.jpg

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i bought this avon skin so soft bath oil, as recommended by few posters. i am too lazy to purchase spray bottle so i just put some of the stuff directly on my skin. i am not happy with the smell but it works as a repelente. so for now i look and smell like a greased up senior citizen on meth. but no mosquitoes.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
The coils are for when no one is home and you don't have the fans or a/c on. Put one in the bathroom and shut the door, it will smoke the room out for the evening, same in bedroom, living room etc, shut the doors and allow them to smoke to room when you are out.
Under the bed seems to be a daily hiding place for the mosquitos and so one under there is a good idea.

No use for actual active defense as when you turn on the fan all the work they have done becomes void and heads for the doors and windows.

May 29, 2006
Spray the underside of your bed with Pyrethrum base bug sprays and the walls in the house entrance rooms. Mosquitoes are inactive most of the time and will make contact with the surface while they are resting. It looks like that is the main active ingredient in the coils, but I think I'd burn them when I'm not in the house. I always make sure they're on a pie plate or other no flammable surface.

Last edited:

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
window and door screens!

Window and door screens are not especially expensive or difficult to deploy. They are very effective and widely used around the world - - except in the Dominican Republic. Apologies to the moderators if this should be moved to another thread. I suspect the national disinclination is related to "costumbres folkl?ricas" like not placing a handbag on the floor to avoid financial problems, rubbing a malfunctioning electrical appliance to encourage it to work again, and applying Vick's VapoRub to anything that looks, feels, or smells bad.

On the other hand, the reason might be simpler. More than once, I've had occasion to visit places where I used to live and noticed window and door screens I installed had been removed. As all of you know, dust from outside and cooking oil vapor from inside build up on all surfaces over a period of weeks. The screens have to be maintained or they will eventually turn into a matted mess. Sponging them off with lightly soapy water does the trick fairly easily. It's maintenance, which is an abstract concept to some household help (and automotive mechanics, but that really is for another thread). They know what the word means but don't practice it without frequent encouragement and close supervision. With a dirty window screen, the path of least resistance is to rip it out.

The simplest explanation of all may be what a friend once told me. After installing window screens at his mother-in-law's house in Duverg?, and finding them gone during a later visit, when he asked after the screens the mother-in-law told him she had them removed because she did not want mosquitos trapped in the house.

Our house has screens on all the windows. We also use Magic Mesh on the front and back doors, but the one on the back door sometimes doesn't close completely because it's a little wider, and they sneak in. [Bringing down more Magic Mesh next trip, planning to put two on the back door, or build a wood frame around the metal frame, to make the opening smaller]. About 1/2 hour before we go to bed, we light up a coil in the bedroom, if there are any in there they leave [our room is small, if yours are large, use 2]. When we go to bed, we move the coil to right outside our door. We use a floor fan that oscillates across our bed, and sometimes turn on the ceiling fan too. Rarely got bit in 4 months, never even bothered using the mosquitero.

I also light one when I sit outside with my computer, under the table.

I found incense works well too, I bought about 30 packages of incense sticks at a yard sale for $3 [total, not each!].

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Window and door screens are not especially expensive or difficult to deploy. They are very effective and widely used around the world - - except in the Dominican Republic. Apologies to the moderators if this should be moved to another thread. I suspect the national disinclination is related to "costumbres folkl?ricas" like not placing a handbag on the floor to avoid financial problems, rubbing a malfunctioning electrical appliance to encourage it to work again, and applying Vick's VapoRub to anything that looks, feels, or smells bad.

On the other hand, the reason might be simpler. More than once, I've had occasion to visit places where I used to live and noticed window and door screens I installed had been removed. As all of you know, dust from outside and cooking oil vapor from inside build up on all surfaces over a period of weeks. The screens have to be maintained or they will eventually turn into a matted mess. Sponging them off with lightly soapy water does the trick fairly easily. It's maintenance, which is an abstract concept to some household help (and automotive mechanics, but that really is for another thread). They know what the word means but don't practice it without frequent encouragement and close supervision. With a dirty window screen, the path of least resistance is to rip it out.

The simplest explanation of all may be what a friend once told me. After installing window screens at his mother-in-law's house in Duverg?, and finding them gone during a later visit, when he asked after the screens the mother-in-law told him she had them removed because she did not want mosquitos trapped in the house.

Everyone who lives or works in our house or on our property knows not to touch our screens. Someone once cut a 3" diameter hole in one of them to run an extension cord outside because they were too lazy to run it the right way - believe me, that never happened again.

Before we come down each trip, the screens are all removed and hosed down to clean.

I don't believe I've ever seen a screen door in DR. They all think that screens "block the breeze", which might have some validity, but I'll take a slightly weaker breeze over a houseful of mosquitoes. Especially now.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
When I bought my house 18 years ago,I had screens made for all windows, AND doors!
"Screens & Dominicans can NOT coexist!!!!!!!
The "Screens" LOST!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Arturo.. Thanks for letting me know why waiters and Dominicans always pull up a chair for my purse if I put it on the floor! They seemed so concerned for it. I have thought about screens for the rented apartment here in SD but judging by the dust and dirt that is on my fans, i figured that screens on the windows would be just FILLED in a week. And since there are bars on the windows, I also figured that cleaning the screens would be hell. Plus, since all the other metal that I have here has rusted, I also figured that washing them would cause them to rust.

Some neighbors have put on a sort of cloth material that looks like it would be easier..

Although I really would hate to loose the view of the flamboyant trees. The bars are bad enough.

(And I had this sorta fatalistic thinking about dengue, figuring that if I get it, I get it. Now, after the Chiky, I am not so sure I want to take the chance)

jbars

Jul 6, 2007
Here's a recent email I got

How to Kill Mosquitoes
It’s certainly worth giving it a try

You may be aware of this, How to Kill Mosquitoes
cid:6E6D475F9B0D456C8D67B1E7A15AF174@GarryLaptop
I was at a deck party awhile back, and the bugs were having a ball biting everyone. A man at the party sprayed the lawn and deck floor with Listerine, and the little demons disappeared. The next year I filled a 4-ounce spray bottle and used it around my seat whenever I saw mosquitoes. And voila! That worked as well.. It worked at a picnic where we sprayed the area around the food table, the children's swing area, and the standing water nearby. During the summer, I don't leave home without it....Pass it on.
cid:EAFF580535D449A59B3DFFA811A59967@GarryLaptop
OUR FRIEND'S COMMENTS: I tried this on my deck and around all of my doors.
It works - in fact, it killed them instantly. I bought my bottle from Target and it cost me $1.89. It really doesn't take much, and it is a big bottle, too; so it is not as expensive to use as the can of Bug-spray you buy that doesn't last 30 minutes.
So, try this, please. It will last a couple of days. Don't spray directly on a wood door (like your front door), but spray around the frame. Spray around the window frames, and even inside the dog house.
Now these are Good Mosquitoes!!!
cid:C519E76EFCE5413C916E279DB0F655EA@GarryLaptop
EARTH FRIENDLY TOO???
cid:58353B8A02D940F0BCA883D986D6F91F@GarryLaptop
Ain't tried it myownself yet.

Derfish, sorry that's a myth/legend:

Does Listerine Bug Spray Really Work? - Myths.Answers.com

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
that will not bother Derf.......

he has socks and socks a re natural mosquito repellent ---- even clean ones;)

couldn't resist, Derf.....