anti tetanico and dogs???

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Long story.......
2 of my dogs got into a fight...... I had to restrain them, cos I had workers round and didnt want a bloodshed.......
In the blue corner we had the rottie, rex ( big, big dog...), in the red corner a smaller dog, remedio. As a comparaison, rex is a boxer, remedio a cage fighter ( mean, mean mothrf@#$er....)
Anyway I stepped in between them armed with my flipflops and my boxer shorts ( yeah stupid, I know....).

So remedio flips round and sinks his teeth into the side of my knee/calf......and I mean sinks...... I can count his teeth on my leg....
Thankfully only one of the "frontdagger teeth" pierced the skin...... the others just left big bruises......
Anyway he severed something important cos blood was pulsating out of the wound......
That got me yelling and kicking........ all 4 dogs lay down at my feet, ears and tails tucked in.

So, got the wound compressed, stopped the bleeding and cleaned. Have now got a fresh garlic paste applied to it......

First question. Why would people tell me to get an anti tetanic shot ??? Of course my dogs are vaccinated against rabbies.

Second question. What would u do with the dog ?? My first thought implied a shotgun and a machete......
To be truthfull, it was kind of in the heat of the action..... but even so.

Thanks all.

P.s. nearly cured of CKV, now a dog bite....... and it hurts and stings.....

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
You should get a tetanus shot asap.

The tetanus shot is protection against tetanus, one of the symptoms being lock jaw. You step on a nail, you should get a tetanus shot. You don't know what was on the tooth that punctured your skin. The fact it bled a lot is a plus, hopefully cleaned the wound.

But whether or not your dog is vaccinated against rabies has nothing to do with it. Tetanus is caused by a bacteria that can poison your blood.

As far as the dog is concerned, I would get rid of it. You can't trust a dog that will bite its owner, even in the heat of the moment.

PapiGonzalez

Banned
Jul 21, 2014
You get a tet shot to boost your system, your dogs are vaccinated against rabies, you are not vaccinated against tetanus, well you should be, but you need to be boosted, especially here, it is normal practice.
What to do? Well I do not think suicide is the answer and so put the shotgun down. Just do not be so stupid as to put yourself between two fighting dogs in future (that was dumb as they come), dogs fight, as do we humans, thankfully we are not given the death sentence for it.

Put a hole in the top of a soda bottle, buy some chilly flakes, fill it with warm water and add a few table spoons of chilli flakes and dried mustard and peper. Next time they fight, squrit it in their faces, they will soon lose interest in each other.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Put the dog down. i agree. Yes, never get between two fighting dogs. Best not to even have two un neutered males. But to know that you have a mean dog who will fight with another dog in his own pack and bite his owner ,, means that he is not safe around children or others.

And get to the doctor ASAP

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
What to do? Well I do not think suicide is the answer and so put the shotgun down. Just do not be so stupid as to put yourself between two fighting dogs in future (that was dumb as they come), dogs fight, as do we humans, thankfully we are not given the death sentence for it.

Put a hole in the top of a soda bottle, buy some chilly flakes, fill it with warm water and add a few table spoons of chilli flakes and dried mustard and peper. Next time they fight, squrit it in their faces, they will soon lose interest in each other.

So what is he supposed to do, walk around all day with a bottle of your mixture in his hand?

Keep the dog and you are asking for trouble. I've seen too many reports on the TV and internet about owners that had a similar situation but rationalized the incident and kept the kept the dog, only to regret later they had done so.

PapiGonzalez

Banned
Jul 21, 2014
Not walk around all day, but have a few accessible if they must keep dogs they can not control, or do not understand.

I have stopped dogs fighting before and when the dog is in full fighting mode he often will just bite without thinking. Just as we humans have a reaction when adrenaline os flowing. He did not mean to bite the owner, he was fighting the other dog, if he wanted to attack the owner then he would, this is the owners fault entirely. If you are not prepared to accept that dogs fight, then have only one dog. If you expect unneutered dogs not to fight then you do not know sufficient about dogs to even own one dog. This si not the dogs fault, why should he suffer for the ignorance or stupidity of his owner (not saying the owner is an idiot, just that was a stupid move, they accept that, they stated that). He didn't ask to be put in a household as such. Find homes for the dogs you can not take care of, I think a solo companion is maybe the solution for you.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I did the same once and got in the middle had no injections and was fine. Hurt like hell and still have the scars to this day. Was remedio the puppy you had from me?

Matilda

malko

Jan 12, 2013
Okkkk....... thanks for the advice....... for info I dont have 2 un neutred male dogs....... I have 4..........
I DO understand my dogs, but I was thinking of the safety of the 2 construction workers above all...... silly me.

As for my dogs been unsafe for children, that is an understatement......... but that is also their purpose ( nobody worry, I do love my dogs dearly....).

Anyway, saw Kens and Papis post and went down to local public hospital...... No shot, have to wait to see a doctor in the morning.
They cleaned out the wound ( while making comments about how serious the wound look, and only then realised I spoke spanish.....) and were very kind.
Prescribed painkillers Ketomax 10, but I think I might give them a miss.

Now that I am cool, calm and collective again, I dont have the heart to get rid of the dog...... so he lives and he stays......

Thanks all.

malko

Jan 12, 2013
I did the same once and got in the middle had no injections and was fine. Hurt like hell and still have the scars to this day. Was remedio the puppy you had from me?

Matilda

No, remedio is my first dog, the oldest one. Simba, is the one I got from you....... he is now HUGE ( as big as rex the rottweiler ), he is also adorable, gets on with the rottie like a brother, and even the mean one ( remedio ) loves him....... a bit depressed right now because the pool is emptied for repairs :).
I confirm, it hurts.......

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
dogs are pack animals and in situation like this the instinct takes over. keep the dog and kick yourself in the ass for breaking a fight this way. next time use a bucket of water :)

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
malko, we have a big male rottie. Do you know how we got him? A DR1er was taking care of him after his owners left the country, and since he didn't get along with their big mastiff, they had him separate. When she brought him his food, he turned and snapped at her and bit her badly on the hand - she thought maybe she surprised him while he was napping, but wasn't sure. We were there the next morning for a visit, and we took the dog back with us. I was apprehensive.

He is a wonderful dog, we've had him well over 2 years now, and he has never bitten anyone else. He's gotten into a couple of terrible fights with the female rottie though, but even that has passed, it was only the first 2 months that we brought her onto the property.

So I'm glad you're giving your boy a reprieve.

Get the tetanus shot though!!!

Sep 4, 2012
Okkkk....... thanks for the advice....... for info I dont have 2 un neutred male dogs....... I have 4..........
I DO understand my dogs, but I was thinking of the safety of the 2 construction workers above all...... silly me.

As for my dogs been unsafe for children, that is an understatement......... but that is also their purpose ( nobody worry, I do love my dogs dearly....).

Now that I am cool, calm and collective again, I dont have the heart to get rid of the dog...... so he lives and he stays......

Thanks all.

Good call, it shows you are a responsible owner whom take care of the animals as you should. Irresponsible ones would blame the animal which had done nothing more than react as what it actually is, an animal.

Kudos to you and take care of that wound.

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
I tend to err on the side of not putting the dig down nor get rid of it.

I have had dogs all my life - 2 of which have bit me a time or too. One because I almost stepped on him sleeping and the other liked a couple of particular spots in the house and if moved, he would go psyco - he would also try to attack my sisters dog when he came in the house. This was actually resolved by having an experienced trainer come into the house and work with our family and the dog. He didnt start as a puppy either - he was a rescue who was more than 4 years old with established habits. The training worked and he was actually the best dog I ever had - he would have gave his life for me.

I have loved every dog I have had with my whole heart and do not believe that a dog who bites his owner, especially in the instance described should be doomed to hell. If there are two who can not live together without fighting and you dont have the ability or motivation to seperate them - or to bring in a trainer, one may need another home.

Does the one who bit need another home? I dont know... Does the one who bit you fight with all the dogs or just the one? Have any of the others bit you? Do they all like to fight. I think there is alot more to think about than to jump to the conclusion to put him down as may be easy to do in the heat of the moment. He sounds like a great dog to have if an intruder breaks in.

How is his behaviour regularly? Was this one or a has it happened in the past?

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
Good point - a hose works - I did that with mine in the past when he went after my sisters dog.

dogs are pack animals and in situation like this the instinct takes over. keep the dog and kick yourself in the ass for breaking a fight this way. next time use a bucket of water :)

malko

Jan 12, 2013
I tend to err on the side of not putting the dig down nor get rid of it.

I have had dogs all my life - 2 of which have bit me a time or too. One because I almost stepped on him sleeping and the other liked a couple of particular spots in the house and if moved, he would go psyco - he would also try to attack my sisters dog when he came in the house. This was actually resolved by having an experienced trainer come into the house and work with our family and the dog. He didnt start as a puppy either - he was a rescue who was more than 4 years old with established habits. The training worked and he was actually the best dog I ever had - he would have gave his life for me.

I have loved every dog I have had with my whole heart and do not believe that a dog who bites his owner, especially in the instance described should be doomed to hell. If there are two who can not live together without fighting and you dont have the ability or motivation to seperate them - or to bring in a trainer, one may need another home.

Does the one who bit need another home? I dont know... Does the one who bit you fight with all the dogs or just the one? Have any of the others bit you? Do they all like to fight. I think there is alot more to think about than to jump to the conclusion to put him down as may be easy to do in the heat of the moment. He sounds like a great dog to have if an intruder breaks in.

How is his behaviour regularly? Was this one or a has it happened in the past?

Thanks. Remedio ( the one who bit me :) ) has always been a difficult dog. But real loving and caring ( with me at least, and my wife, any5hing else 4hat breathes and has a pulse, well..... ). He must be going on 8 years....
He fights occasionaly with the rottie and never with the other 2...... all in all the 4 dogs get along well......
And, well yeah, remedio has the kind of character u need on ure side if an intruder breaks in........

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
yea, ok. I spoke too soon, really, Thinking with my American mind because you really do want a dog who will attack here.. and also really you did get into the middle of a fight. I have only had neutered pets and never two males at once, only two females and a male. My cousin worked with the humane society and was also a breeder of champion shepards and made sure that I was trained when she gave me one of her pups all my dogs were rescue dogs.

I really only have experience with one rescue dog which did turn and bite me. And the vet told me that I had to tell the shelter and return him to be euthanized as he was not adoptable.

So I am glad the dog lives especially since he has been with you a long time. And glad you at least had the wound cleaned and have the pain meds.

Wow, we sounded like the Roman Circus.. he lives, he dies..!!

malko

Jan 12, 2013
Especially with the "thumbs up", "thumbs down" bit.......