Do you think this is a good deal?

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
I was thinking to buy a new car here but economical. I saw a 2014 Nissan Mark at the dealership in POP for $8900 USD - 0 kms with 3 years warranty which is pretty much my speed in terms of size, cost and gas expense.

Then a friend of mine has a friend who is selling a 2008 BMW 3 series, 145,000kms with leather interior, super excellent condition and diesel for $18k.

First off this is double what I was looking to spend but am wondering in terms of people living on the NC if this is a good deal? It got me thinking because a friend in Toronto has a Jetta that is Diesel and uses very little gas.

Also, I may take a pass on it but thought I would post in case it is a good deal then maybe someone else can benefit...

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
I was thinking to buy a new car here but economical. I saw a 2014 Nissan Mark at the dealership in POP for $8900 USD - 0 kms with 3 years warranty which is pretty much my speed in terms of size, cost and gas expense.

Then a friend of mine has a friend who is selling a 2008 BMW 3 series, 145,000kms with leather interior, super excellent condition and diesel for $18k.

First off this is double what I was looking to spend but am wondering in terms of people living on the NC if this is a good deal? It got me thinking because a friend in Toronto has a Jetta that is Diesel and uses very little gas.

Also, I may take a pass on it but thought I would post in case it is a good deal then maybe someone else can benefit...

Nissan parts and mechanics able to fix them: Cheap and lots of them!

BMW parts and mechanics able to fix them: Very, very expensive and about two or three in the whole island...

Hope that helps you decide for which to lean towards to!

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Driving a luxury brand automobile draws unnecessary attention to oneself. Stick with the Nissan.

(Don't you mean a Nissan March? And I suspect the price is $18,900. No new car in the DR is that cheap.)

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
If you're just going to putt around town, it will be ok. But I wouldn't put a lot of cross-island miles on it. These size of cars just aren't made for a lot of wear and tear.

Nissan-MarchK13.jpg

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
Why? Perhaps it would helpful, or not, to explain the reasoning behind your statement.
I wouldn't because the locals have no respect for others property. I would save the money on a over priced new card and buy a used car from a gringo who is leaving the country. That's what I would do.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Little Coffin

In this country you want a pickup (with a sturdy chassis) or a bigger SUV (with a good crumple zone) in order to survive. Not one of those little coffins.

donP

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I wouldn't because the locals have no respect for others property. I would save the money on a over priced new card and buy a used car from a gringo who is leaving the country. That's what I would do.

And while u are at it, I would go for a bigger, much bigger car...... SUV, crossover.....
Unless it is only for driving around town......

No Place Like Home

Jul 9, 2013
Go to Moca and look around, lots to choose from. Yea USED is the only way to go. Honda CRV RAV4 are the best. Any amller and the bumps will wear you and the car out.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
And while u are at it, I would go for a bigger, much bigger car...... SUV, crossover.....
Unless it is only for driving around town......
Yes. Absolutely! I like the small diesel pickups.
Well good luck to the O.P. , I hope she finds what works best for her in her price range.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i had honda capa for years. cheap and cheerful. great car. but not very safe. perfect to drive (and especially park) in the city but not best for traveling anywhere else. for you i would suggest a bit bigger car. since you want to open a business it is better to have a vehicle that can carry supplies. some things you will probably have to buy in POP, santiago or even SD. how about a used pickup? nissan frontier? toyota tacoma? you will be able to get something fairy decent for 10k dollars.

Jan 9, 2004

The Nissan March is also known/badged as the Nissan Micra. It is a city car...meaning it is not designed to comfortably be driven long distances, or on rough pavement/dirt roads etc. Short distance city driving is ok.

It is not a car I would consider to traverse the DR.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
1) odometers are all reset by everyone
2) you can't leave a pickup truck with something in the bed — makes "one stop shopping" a must.
3) RAV 4 from the American auction lots with good VIN# research on the internet first.
4) For a good car less than six years old, canvass the import dealers in Santiago (Estrella Sadhala or the Moca road), and buy only Japanese cars, made IN Japan, for the American market, direct from the U.S. auction lots. Google the VIN numbers for mileage before leaving the States, repair history, owners, etc., and spreadsheet a dozen or more before buying.

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
I like the Nissan too. I swear the guy said $8,900 USD as the Nissan on the auto pista in POP. I was there twice last month. Assumed the price was right because it is a tiny little dinky car.

Re: the BMW - $18k is out of my price range but the car looks really nice so I thought I would share in case it was a good deal that anyone else liked - My sister sent me a pic of the car and the front has the phone number so if someone wants it I can post it.

Driving a luxury brand automobile draws unnecessary attention to oneself. Stick with the Nissan.

(Don't you mean a Nissan March? And I suspect the price is $18,900. No new car in the DR is that cheap.)

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
I had a BMW in the states and it was outlandishly expensive to have anything fixed, and that was in the USA, imagine down here.

Wiper nozzle (what sprays windshield washer fluid) was about $50 and that was with my discount (I worked in auto parts). A mechanic needs a lot of special tools to fix a BMW as well, that will be hard to come by here in DR.

My advice, a BMW is very nice, stylish, luxurious, and turns heads. The Nissan is practical, maintainable, economical, and a steal if that price is correct.

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
Ok thanks a million and great tips everyone.

The vehicle is mainly to use getting to and from the grocery store, around town, to POP, Santiago and Rio San Juan the once or twice per/mo that I go.

I have been renting these dinky cars so often from Thrifty and have probable spent almost the price of this car in the past year on rentals.

As far as SUV's - I am scared of the gas. I had a Hyndai cross over rental that just burned through a tank of gas so fast and it was $2500 RD to fill. Dinky cars - the gas seems to last almost twice as long and are just under $2000 to fill. I bought an eco friendly Subaru SUV in Toronto brand new. Everyone in my family said - oh its so economical for an SUV, of its so safe. After 4 years and 80kms I have had to fix so many things on that bloddy vehicle, a fill right now at 1.35per/L is about $70 to fill, burns gas like crazy.

I am going to head back to re-check the price. I want to stay under $10k and I want the bumper to bumper 3 year warranty - with that I think I will be happy. I think the BMW was a momentary fantasy LOL.