First World Problem = "Con Con"

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
retired English teacher (30 years)

In the U.S. if you scorch your rice, that's a problem! That pot will need a good soak before it can be cleaned.
In the D.R., that same "burnt rice at the bottom of the pan" is scraped out and eaten with great alacrity.

Now, it may not be just a matter of "waste not, want not." There may be a "method to the madness." Rice is rather bland. However, slightly burned rice has a crunchy consistency and wakes up the taste buds. By definition, you would not eat a bowl of "con con" because it is the residue. It's more like a garnish that some people enjoy.

It goes without saying that you will never find "con con" on a menu and if you ask for it in a tourist restaurant you will get a laugh and a denial. Possibly a mesero(a) will do you a favor and take a look in the kitchen . . .

Where, then, do you find con con? First, in the home. Second, where you take a "Plata del Dia" for locals you will often find it available on the side. You request it. It's free. It's not an entree. It's a garnish.

What's your take on con con?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
yes, but here that burnt rice is just sorta toasted, not burnt.. certainly not the way I burn! I do love it and thanks for telling me I might find it at a comedor. I am not a big rice fan but you remind me that a friend who came who from Vietnam cooked rice by first frying the uncooked rice in oil for a bit with garlic, then boiling, and it was always great. Maybe I will try that.

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
Not burned or scorched. Crisp bottom, yes. It's a touch for how to/how long to cook rice. It is a treat "pero se nesesita muela" (you need good molars).

Also, a quality "caldero," (cauldron - I don't think you get con con from a pressure cooker) preferably w/tight glass lid so you can monitor cook w/o uncovering, is important.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
yes, but here that burnt rice is just sorta toasted, not burnt.. certainly not the way I burn! I do love it and thanks for telling me I might find it at a comedor. I am not a big rice fan but you remind me that a friend who came who from Vietnam cooked rice by first frying the uncooked rice in oil for a bit with garlic, then boiling, and it was always great. Maybe I will try that.

Many Italians also fry the rice in hot oil with finely chopped garlic before adding the water. Some Dominicans add some olive oil to the rice pot, they believe it will make the con-con crispier and tastier. And don't forget to salt the water.

And you're right - con-con is toasted NOT burned. The secret is a tight seal and low heat. I could live without it, my husband and kids bee-line for it every time though.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Dominican restaurants in NY keep some on the side for customers. :)

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I love it too!!! The best is when it comes out whole in the shape of the pan.....

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Oh, I love it! Sometimes that is what I will eat instead of the rice, with beans on top and chicken (guisado):)

Viajero

Bronze
Dec 16, 2011

In the U.S. if you scorch your rice, that's a problem!

What's your take on con con?

Not true, we eat it all the time in NYC. Some people call it pegao

1510735_10152571987579815_1178109152_n.jpg

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The first time Mr. AE went to Puerto Rico, back in the late 60s, someone asked him if he wanted pegao. He said he didn't know what it was, so they showed him. He said "Con-Con!", and they all laughed at him. :)

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
The pan has to be just the right temperature to provide the best "con-con".
It is neither burnt, nor scorched.......
It is a beautiful toast.
It is appreciated much in the same way that slightly charred cheese on a pizza or atop a baked spaghetti would be.
Yum.
Just another way to say NO to the bland.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
The first time Mr. AE went to Puerto Rico, back in the late 60s, someone asked him if he wanted pegao. He said he didn't know what it was, so they showed him. He said "Con-Con!", and they all laughed at him. :)

Si como camina cocina, guardame el pegao. lol

Meems

May 1, 2013
Well, you know there's a saying here that goes something like, "If you cook like you walk, honey, I'll take the con-con."

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Its even better if the rice is cooked with a black plastic bag under the lid.

May 29, 2006
There is an old bachata song about con con that refers to a woman that is not too light and not too dark. It's all about the Maillard reaction.. Toasted, but not burnt.