Best place for good cheap baby items.

Jesse Hales

Jul 22, 2014
We are moving to the DR around the middle of September and our son will me 11 months old at that time. We will also be adding a newborn to the mix at the end of January. We will be needing to buy baby items when we get there. Any suggestions of the best place to shop for those things in the SD area? Thank you.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Nothing is 'cheap' in SD. I did most of my shopping for baby stuff for my grandson at La Sirena and Jumbo.

texan

Apr 1, 2014
I am here in Puerto Plata with a young one. We bought Graco products from Pricesmart in Santigo. I don't think you can get Graco products in Puerto Plata. We have the baby stroller/ car seat combo. The playpen we can easily move up and down stairs. A little indoor chair that swings back and forth. Diapers, baby lotion, baby oil, etc are all cheaper in Pricesmart.

I brought a lot of stuff from the US. We have a very nice baby crib with an attached changing table. We bought that in Santiago.

A lot of this depends where you will be in the DR and also where you are coming from.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
If you are talking about "Porta Cribs", and "Strollers" try and bring them with you.
They are VERY expensive here, ESPECIALLY American brands.
If you want US name brand clothes bring those too.
Other than that do what "AE" says.
There is a nice sized "Baby Store" here in SD, called "Prin".
I bought a lot of things there.
Hopefully you won't need "Formula",like "Similac", it's a killer in price here, "Pampers" too!
They even put those "Theft Prevention" devices on the baby formula cans!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Jesse Hales

Jul 22, 2014
If you are talking about "Porta Cribs", and "Strollers" try and bring them with you.
They are VERY expensive here, ESPECIALLY American brands.
If you want US name brand clothes bring those too.
Other than that do what "AE" says.
There is a nice sized "Baby Store" here in SD, called "Prin".
I bought a lot of things there.
Hopefully you won't need "Formula",like "Similac", it's a killer in price here, "Pampers" too!
They even put those "Theft Prevention" devices on the baby formula cans!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Is Prin on the east side of town? Just making sure I found the right thing on the map. Thanks

Makinater

May 4, 2013
I think we paid 795 for a 52 pack of Pampers last time at La Sirena, and when I say "Pampers" I actually mean the brand, which is not necessarily what people mean over here. Usually, we buy like 32 or 38 for 595 I believe (confused about the number, since they are always different depending), also at la Sirena. Jumbo have the same prices, as far as I know. There are other brands too, of course, but we only go for Huggies and Pampers. Not sure if there are any Dominican made diapers out on the market, but if there are, I have my doubts regarding their capability to keep the little one's present contained where they should be.

Both diapers and baby wipes should be bought at Pricemart, in my opinion, since it is very hard to beat their prices (especially when it comes to wipes). You can find it on Charles Sumner close to Churchill con Kennedy. And I think there is one or two more at other places.

Prin is in Santo Domingo Este, yes. Right on the traffic hell hole Carretera Mella, next to El Cumbre (big green building) and not too far from Megacentro, which is the best landmark. If you go from Megacentro towards Charles De Gaulle, you have it on your left side. It is not too far from where we live. Want us to go there to check something out for you? We could probably find a thing or two for our little one as well, so it wouldn't be much of a sacrifice. Never been there myself, so I have no opinion about it.

El mundo de juguete and Juget?n are two other places to check out.

I can recommend Novia de Villa as well. Not saying that they only have top notch toys, few things are top notch in this country, as you probably already know (or will learn fast). But we always find nice stuff for our boy. They have one store in Megacentro, but you would want to go to the principal on Roberto Pastoriza, casi esq Lincoln, if you really want to see everything they sell.

One thing I would buy in your country before I left, is a proper infant seat for your kid to sit in when you go for a drive. You wouldn't believe how hard it was for us to find one, given that few Dominicans even know what they are, let alone care about them. There are some front facing car seats for infants, which I know lots of people use in the developed world as well, although they are in fact not very safe for small kids fragile necks. But, if you want a rear facing car seat, you will have to search and search. It took us many weeks to find one that was good enough to be used, although it could never match the quality the hold in our country (and it just cost us a tenth of the price as well, of course).

If I remember, I can check some prices for formula the next time I go to Jumbo or La Sirena, but we never used them for our kiddo so I have no idea as to what brands that can be recommended.

Anyway, PM any questions and I will see if I can answer.

Take care!

texan

Apr 1, 2014
Are you flying American Airlines? You get one 50 lb bag to check in for free but if you upgrade to first class you can bring three 70 lb bags to check in. Depending on where you are coming from first class might be around $150 extra for the one way. Then you can bring a lot of stuff. I brought a lot of the Dr. Browns stuff from the USA. Friends from the US gave me a lot of toys so I brought a lot of toys. You can call the airline about the stroller and car seat. Maybe they just put that at the front of the plane and don't charge you.

Of course the smaller more expensive items make the most since. You can bring a lot of small items. I am guessing you already have a lot of stuff with the 11 month old. If you are going to be in Santo Domingo that makes the shopping a lot easier.

If you are having the baby here I am sure you will have more questions about that. We are doing the US citizenship and passport right now. We got the birth certificate here and it was half a page. We had to go back and get the birth certificate that is a full page then we have to have them sign the back. I don't think normally it would of been that bad but with a lot of people needing birth certificates to get their new Cedula so it took 2 1/2 hours yesterday in Puerto Plata to get the long birth certificate. Then at least in Puerto Plata we have to go back to get it signed. If I would of known or asked here it might have been less trips. But this is going to take 3 or 4 trips.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The "Prin" I used to shop at,was on Duarte, near Plaza Lama, downtown SD.
Maybe they moved, maybe there is more than one????
"La Novia de Villa" has top shelf stuff, and "Top Shelf" prices to boot!
BUT, if you want the latest "Doll", or Toy, you get it there.
In te "Plaza Naco" on Tiradentes, they have two "Toy Stores", "Jugeton",....and "Mundo de Jugetes" they have a LOT of "Baby Stuff", cribs, furniture,strollers, walkers,as well!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
You might ask on te DR1 "Swap Meet Section, of the "Living Forum"" for the things you need.
It's all free stuff, if anyone can help you.

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
We are moving to the DR around the middle of September and our son will me 11 months old at that time. We will also be adding a newborn to the mix at the end of January. We will be needing to buy baby items when we get there. Any suggestions of the best place to shop for those things in the SD area? Thank you.
You didn't state where you will be. If its the north coast there are thrift shops with new & slightly used clothing. Mundo2 is a great micro loan project for Dominican women to learn how to write a business plan, run a retail shop etc. Several locations to check out in Cabarete & Sosua.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
You didn't state where you will be. If its the north coast there are thrift shops with new & slightly used clothing. Mundo2 is a great micro loan project for Dominican women to learn how to write a business plan, run a retail shop etc. Several locations to check out in Cabarete & Sosua.

Abuela, she's asking about the SD area.