Claro to Orange text messages arriving "empty" ????

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Maybe somebody have an explanation what could be the cause.

I sent text messages from my iPhone 5s with a Claro contract to another person with an iPhone 4 prepaid from Orange.

Almost all, not all (longer) messages arrive as an empty bubble w/out any text while I have no problems receiving them.

Any idea what could cause this?

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
MMS or SMS? iOS devices didn't get MMS for a while, does the iP4 send/receive them properly?

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Err... it is the green "messages" app, not the facebook one or another. (The one that comes pre-installed). Now you mention it receiving messages sent to me from the iPhone 4 the foreign character letters are replaced by a question mark...

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
I know what you mean; Larger SMS messages get converted to MMS messages (on other devices) but iOS devices didn't get MMS for a while. I don't remember which version is was, but I do remember having the "Welcome to the 90s" discussion with my one friend about his iPhone over that "upgrade."

ps - Do a Google search; the problem is probably with your friend's phone APN config, but yours could be a little out of whack too. Evidently it's common enough that Google auto-completed the search for me.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Not sure I understand the conversion part. MMS is the "normal" format for Claro i. e.? Or SMS? And how this issue could be solved on the iPhone 4? Any idea?

My guess is best is getting a plan for the iPhone 4 and using whatsapp...

I know what you mean; Larger SMS messages get converted to MMS messages (on other devices) but iOS devices didn't get MMS for a while. I don't remember which version is was, but I do remember having the "Welcome to the 90s" discussion with my one friend about his iPhone over that "upgrade."

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
SMS is kinda like Twitter; only messages of a certain length or under. MMS can handle longer messages, so most phone convert long SMS messages to MMS. It's an automatic thing; happens by itself normally.

Because Apple didn't do MMS for a while, either yours or your friends (if not both) may not be configured right for MMS messaging. Do the Google search and you'll get some pointers on how to resolve.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
Maybe somebody have an explanation what could be the cause.

I sent text messages from my iPhone 5s with a Claro contract to another person with an iPhone 4 prepaid from Orange.

Almost all, not all (longer) messages arrive as an empty bubble w/out any text while I have no problems receiving them.

Any idea what could cause this?

It's pretty common in DR: cross-provider texts arrive empty or late by hours, especially in busy times. Use whatsapp or something.