Spanish translation

L

Lee

Does anyone know of a software program to translate English to Spanish for e mail use or a site to download any information that would be of help.

C

Capt. Rob

Any that I have used in the past aren't very good. But of course things change. Remember here we speak DOMINICAN not Spanish. Many words are different and have different meanings.

U

US Expat

I use Systran. It is fair. Translation is not exact but retains meaning.

Also, go to www.altavista.com. There is a translation button to use on webpages or you can type in your own message and it will translate. It is driven by an advanced version of Systran.

H

hlywud

Here is the best I have found, it is still not 100% correct due to different dialects in different regions

D

Doug

I've punched thosed words into altavisa and they come up the same in english as spanish....so he needs someone who speaks fluent spanish

P

pascal

I have also used Systran and found it usefull as a starting point. A system translation needs editing anyway , just like the spelling check device on a mobile phone. It takes as much knowledge of a language it is a little faster as you only deal with the exceptions. A foreign language is not just a code , it is about the culture it conveys and its specificities. Have you ever asked your way to a local in the DR ? or agree a time when you will meet with someone ? It'll tell you what is important to people and where their focus is or lack of focus is. I Don't mean to teach or demonstrate anything , ethnology is just a matter of interest to me and there is no short cut to proper communication.