24000 split AC unit

texan

Apr 1, 2014
I asked about AC units before and did not end up buying one at that time. I got some great advice and just decided to buy later which would be now. I have a CIAC 12000 BTU unit and it work in our old house great. It would cool down out room fast and we didn't need to run it for long. Now I have a larger room with a ceiling that is much higher and vaulted on top of that. We have a door to the bathroom, closet, exit and balcony. We have two sets of windows and the sun hits on those windows. There is not an overhang over those windows.

We have curtains and add the block out material on the curtains. I am in Puerto Plata so it is easiest for me to buy in these area. I have decided on a 24,000 BTU with an inverter. Corripio has a Panasonic 24,000 BTU with an inverter and the model number is CS-YS24PKV and the outside unit is CS-YS23PKV it is installed for 59,000 pesos.

I think the EER number is 10 which is not that high but it does have an inverter. I don't mind paying more for something that is more energy efficient. I also want to be able to cool the room pretty fast. I read that if an AC unit is too big that it won't get the humanity out of the room. I don't think that will be a problem here.

When I had our current AC unit look at both of the AC guys stated I should get a 24,000 BTU. I looked last time and I have looked again. Of course there aren't a ton of places to look at in Puerto Plata. We have an AC store close to our house, La Sierena, Corripio and some of the furniture stores have them.

I am leaning towards this Panasonic I just want to be sure before I buy it.

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
You do realize that "Corripio has a Panasonic 24,000 BTU with an inverter" has absolutely nothing to do with the Inverters that we use to get A/C current with batteries when the electric is off, right?

Unless, I'm wrong of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS: Pricesmart has that same 24,000 BTU Panasonic....

We have two sets of windows and the sun hits on those windows.

If it is your house, why not build awnings over the windows, I made homemade ones for my house.

Last edited:

texan

Apr 1, 2014
You do realize that "Corripio has a Panasonic 24,000 BTU with an inverter" has absolutely noting to do with the Inverters that we use to get A/C current with batteries when the electric is off, right?

Unless, I'm wrong of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes you are right. I am told they run more efficient. I am hoping to pay a little more upfront and save some on the electricity bill later.

texan

Apr 1, 2014
Do you really want to get the "humanity" out of the room? Haha

Use an online calculator to check what is needed.

I have look at the calculators. It is hard to figure in the high vaulted ceiling. The room is rectangle shape but then it has a hallway. If we didn't have the hallway, the windows had balconies or something blocking more sun and a ceiling that was 8 or 10 feet and not vaulted I think 18000 BTU would be fine.

bhale

Mar 1, 2004
12,000 BTU is noted in the US as 1 ton, so 24,000 is a 2 ton unit. Each tone should theoretically cool 750 sq ft.

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
The "NEWER" Air Conditioners use R410, instead of R22 which has been discontinued since around 2010. Of course here it does not matter yet.

Yes, the Inverter type are more energy efficient.

Last edited:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
At DR1, we have a downstairs office that has a 12,000 BTU (Samsung) and it works great and is very economical to run as it has been sized correctly. I sized it out myself, using one of the many online calculators. Some allow you to input exact dimensions, window area, curtains, appliances that generate heat etc to give you correct sizing.

The local "expert" from a very well known AC firm told me I needed 24,000 BTU in the same space. When I asked why, he said that's what he usually advices clients for similar sizes offices. Needless to say he was ejected, quickly! :)

Do it yourself, read up online and pretty much ignore what the local installers tell you, unless you know 100% they are on top of their game.

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
I have an LG 18,000 BTU split unit and a very large bedroom, with hallway, and walk in closet space, and the computer room and it would cool down almost instantly. The blower motor on the inside unit broke and after months of non-use (Or the chickens getting to the outside unit) the R22 coolant leaked out.

I was going to have it fixed, but then after thinking about all the hassles of the unit (Luz goes off, need to restart the unit manually), maintenance every 6 months or so, because of so much pollution in the air, I decided to get a Danby 14,000 BTU Portable unit( $28,000 pesos). Two of them would be $56,000 pesos and I would have 28,000 BTU. The Danby unit will re-start by itself after 3 minutes.

That I can maintain myself and take better care of it. It's on wheels so I can take it outside and give it a good cleaning now and then.

I have only tested the unit so far, need to put a 6 inch hole in the wall for the exhaust. Will be using 6 inch Schedule 40 PVC to run through the wall, with a coupling on the outside to add a piece of screening to prevent bugs crawling into the unit.

When I temporarily ran the exhaust out the window using their window kit, the exhaust was reaching up to around 123? F. The room was cooling, but, with a 6 foot vinyl exhaust pipe stretching to the window, there was a lot of extra heat in the room from the tubing. It will take me awhile to properly vent the unit. Once I finish the hole in the wall, the vent tubing will be about 6 inches and I will put insulation around it for extra heat shielding.

texan

Apr 1, 2014
At DR1, we have a downstairs office that has a 12,000 BTU (Samsung) and it works great and is very economical to run as it has been sized correctly. I sized it out myself, using one of the many online calculators. Some allow you to input exact dimensions, window area, curtains, appliances that generate heat etc to give you correct sizing.

The local "expert" from a very well known AC firm told me I needed 24,000 BTU in the same space. When I asked why, he said that's what he usually advices clients for similar sizes offices. Needless to say he was ejected, quickly! :)

Do it yourself, read up online and pretty much ignore what the local installers tell you, unless you know 100% they are on top of their game.

I have a 12000 BTU now. It worked great in our old bedroom. 12000 BTU in our new room will not cool it down in the day and not in the night until very late. In the old house it would cool down the room in 30 minutes and we turned it off in an hour or so. It would stay cool for a long time. A lot of times we would have it off the rest of the night.

I could look more but I am not sure if there is an online calculation that allows the size of a vaulted ceiling. The ceiling is 9 ft tall then it is vaulted. So the highest point of the ceiling is 15 ft. Most of the offices I have been in here have ceilings that are 8 or 9 feet and not vaulted. We do not own this house but I don't think a vaulted ceiling in a hot climate where electricity is expensive is a good idea.

12000 BTU isn't enough. As long as this unit takes to cool down our room I am not sure if 18000 BTU will be enough. I hate to get an 18000 BTU then it doesn't cool fast enough. Right now the room is cold enough where I might want to to it off at 500 am after it was been running about 7 hours or more.

Btu Calculator for Air Conditioner Heat Pumps this one seems pretty good.

texan

Apr 1, 2014
That EER of only "10" is VERY low!
An "Inverter A/c Unit should be into the middle "Teens".
Keep investigating.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

It is EER and not SEER. I think the numbers on SEER are higher then EER. But I agree there should be some with a higher EER number. I saw a 24000 BTU without an inverter in La Sierena that was 10 SEER and the panasonic with the inverter is 10 EER.

I am not sure but I would have to try and see if there is a conversion to figure out what the 10 EER unit is in SEER.

I called Panasonic today thinking I could get some help over the phone. To see if they sold other models. They did not give me any help. I am not sure where in Puerto Plata to but a unit with a Inverter that is 15 EER or so.

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
Panasonic CS-YS24PKV
Split Inverter Basic

22,000 Btu/h (3,820 - 24,200)
6.45 kW at 220v (1.12 - 7.10)
60Hz
Energy Saving up to 50% (Compared with the basic model no inverter with the same capacity)
Deodorant function
Automatic operation mode
12-Hour ON/OFF setting timer

EER 10.73

Some sites list the unit at only 22,000 Btu

texan

Apr 1, 2014
Panasonic CS-YS24PKV
Split Inverter Basic

22,000 Btu/h (3,820 - 24,200)
6.45 kW at 220v (1.12 - 7.10)
60Hz
Energy Saving up to 50% (Compared with the basic model no inverter with the same capacity)
Deodorant function
Automatic operation mode
12-Hour ON/OFF setting timer

EER 10.73

Some sites list the unit at only 22,000 Btu

That is what I am looking at buying. I am wondering if it really saves anywhere close to 50 percent on electricity. Also does the EER not go up since it has an inverter? Like it was mentioned you I think the EER would be higher since it has an inverter.

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
That is what I am looking at buying. I am wondering if it really saves anywhere close to 50 percent on electricity. Also does the EER not go up since it has an inverter? Like it was mentioned you I think the EER would be higher since it has an inverter.

What is the Inverter technology in air conditioners?

The Inverter technology (DC) is the latest evolution of technology concerning the electro motors of the compressors. An Inverter is used to control the speed of the compressor motor, so as to continuously regulate the temperature. The DC Inverter units have a variable-frequency drive that comprises an adjustable electrical inverter to control the speed of the electromotor, which means the compressor and the cooling / heating output. The drive converts the incoming AC current to DC and then through a modulation in an electrical inverter produces current of desired frequency. A microcontroller can sample each ambient air temperature and adjust accordingly the speed of the compressor. The inverter air conditioning units have increased efficiency in contraction to traditional air conditioners, extended life of their parts and the sharp fluctuations in the load are eliminated. This makes the inverter AC units quieter, with lower operating cost and with less broke downs. The inverter AC units might be more expensive than the constant speed air conditioners, but this is balanced by lower energy bills. The payback time is approximately two years depending on the usage.

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
Check out Trace Solar. I bought six inverters from them and am very pleased with the units and the service.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You need to be sure the a/c was installed correctly after the move.
Maybe it's not putting out enough cold air????
Needs "Freon"???????
"Leaks"????
12,000 btu is a lot, should cool most rooms.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

texan

Apr 1, 2014
You need to be sure the a/c was installed correctly after the move.
Maybe it's not putting out enough cold air????
Needs "Freon"???????
"Leaks"????
12,000 btu is a lot, should cool most rooms.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

We had it checked. There were no leaks and they added a little freon. Not much was added. I can feel the air is blowing cold and it eventually cools down the room. It operates the same as last time it was checked.