MOVING TO PUERTA PLATA SOON

F

Faith

Hi! I will be arriving with 3 other girls in jan. ( 3 cdns, 1 austrian) I have a few questions...Are the jobs scarce right now? I have read that prepaid mecical coverage is cheap there..have any info on this? Flats to rent? Prices? What are the charter companies that fly into POP from either the USA or Canada? Where is a good, cheap place to stay upon our arrival until we get things settled? We are looking at staying a year. Any information will be of great help, thanks!! You can email me at faith_w16@hotmail.com

J

JohnS

It is amazing really... Sometimes I feel so old, when I see the unstoppable enthusiasm of people younger (I believe!? at least I hope!!! Hahahaha!) than me!

Just look at the "...until we get things settled?" I would have written "...if I get things settled!" And the question mark is referring only to finding a cheap place.

Well, good luck, girls!

R

ricktoronto

Long Shot Odds at best

Read the e-mail I sent you. This seems pretty foolhardy.

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

Hey girls, Jobs are hard to get unless you can speak several languages fluently, like German, French and Spanish. Knowledge of computers is a must(Excel,Word,Power Point,Publisher,Internet, Photoshop,Adobe software and digital image as well as good keyboard technique)A good resume is essential with experience shown in different skills. Medical coverage is about $US50-75 a month, but many large companies offer it to their employees. Flats in good neighborhoods are about $350-600 in better neighborhoods. In high income areas, even a furnished 1 bedroom, like Naco 2000 will run you US$1000 a month. In these neighborhoods, rent is comparable to Miami or any major US big city.Send me an e-mail and I will try to help you with temporary quarters, but in the big city only.

M

MaxxJaxx

One Canadian helping Another

I moved to the Dominican Republic several months ago. Check the Archives search word 'MaxxJaxx. It will tell you how to get legal residency for US$1000.00. Email me if still have questions.

I doubt very much that you will find a job that pays enough to support yourself.

I lived for 2 months in Sosua and found it very boring after awhile. Puerto Plata is little bit bigger but also has very limited things to do.

I moved to Santo Domingo and actually found the prices of many things cheaper than in Sosua. I found an apartment just outside of Boca Chica and commute by bus for 17 pesos each way. Santo Domingo has variety things to keep you interested.

My one word of advice is watch out for the expats, I have had more expats try to scam me, than any of the Dominicans.

The Dominicans will treat you fair if you treat them fair, not always but most times.

Also the best fare deals can be found at selloffvacations.com

D

Dominican Bruce, Ph.D.

You are insane to think of moving here or to Puerto Plata. My wife is 23 and thinks PP is a trash hole (basura hoyo). You will be bombarded by, in this order 1)Customs, 2) prices and 3) machista (what passes for macho men here). Say yourselves a lot of trouble and go relax as tourists in Spain or Portugal where there is some real culture and something to do.

E

El Jefecito

DB: May I suggest you take your wife nd move if you hate it so much.

D

Dominican Bruce, Ph.D.

Why not leave the sunny climate of beautiful Colorado and come and live here for awhile before you speak so freely. You sound like the typical single guy who thinks that life is full of getting laid by underage chicas and laying wasted in your bed until noon.

A

Anny Mosity

<body background="http://swapshare.com/images/flagbg1.jpg">
Gee, Bruce, what did they do to you here? I live in POP and love it. I never imported anything through customs. Prices here are about the same or a little higher than in the US or Canada with the exception of rents which are much lower. Spain and most other Caribbean islands are more expensive.

I don't understand your problem with machismo. What do you mean?
Any problems that I have had with Dominicans was due to being naive. Friendly, but not too close works for me. Investment? Forget it.

Enjoy the climate and freedom here. Be glad that your wife doesn't like it here. It means that she isn't dating a Dominican on the side.

&

&quot;The Tourist Watcher&quot;

Re: Wrong AnnyMosity his wife is......

Wrong Anny: The problem with this dude could be that his wife is enjoying machismo Dominican style and he does not like it! Where is Lord Grahame Bush to defend Puerto Plata?
TW

&

Re: Where is Grahame Bush when we need him? *DC*

E

El Jefecito

I grew up there. I plan to return when I am retired and well enough to enjoy it. Personally I prefer more mature ladies close to my own age. I also don't drink much so can't get wasted too often. A couple of cold Presidentes would just about be my limit. Sorry to dissappoint you.

C

Carol

Hey Dominican Bruce,

Jefe spent a lot of his childhood in DR. I won't say more because he's quite capable of defending himself.

Carol

C

criss colon

Dear Phd.What makes you think that a man has to be single to want to "get laid"(your choice of words)by underage(what is "underage"here?)girls? Or a man for that matter!I know lots of women who like that! Or stay in bed till noon! Sounds like a nice life to me ,and I,m married! and why "Phd."? Who gives a "flying f--k!" Criss

&

Re: Bruce and underage chicks

Bruce, Phd: Where the hell did you get your Phd. in Dominican sex? Didn't you know that 90% of the under-age girls(14-17) are getting laid by married guys and professional adult men, not teenagers? In fact, these girls want nothing to do with young kids because none of them can afford to take them to Casa de Campo for a weekend or ride them in a nice BMW M3. True, you are a male 17yrs of age and you drive a passola you may get a few. But the pick of the litter goes to guys driving jeepetas and fast cars. Leran your lesson before you talk.
TW

&

Re: Carol anything that moves has a chance in !!!! *DC*

C

Carol

Re: Carol anything that moves has a chance in !!!!

Thanks for that TW. I was feeling unloved and unwanted!!

Carol

D

Dominican Bruce, Ph.D.

Re: Wrong AnnyMosity his wife is......

I have read most of your posts, TW. I believe you enjoy your assumed position as "Lord and Master" of DR1 and all you survey. Unlike some of the other people who read these posts, I am not deceived. You are probably well-to-do, if not rich. This means you are probably educated. However, you remain, alas, a flawed human being - like all of us. From the number of posts you place, it is clear to me that you do not have much of a life outside of cyberspace. No one could spend as much time and have otherwise. While some of your posts contain useful information, as you are an unabashed Dominicophile, we should just agree that your opinions are yours, and that they are only yours. Sorry to disappoint you. The personal musings about the relations I have with my wife show your coarse and dark side, and are not worthy of any response.

D

Dominican Bruce, Ph.D.

Re: Bruce and underage chicks

Clearly, I was correct about my guess of your lifestyle, since you are unable to refute or respond to my observations. Your responses, which are in poor English, confirm you are not a native English speaker. Your vitriol also tells me that, in fact, your posts are of a hobby nature - not intended to really convey factual information, only to put "gasoline on whatever fire" suits you at the moment.

As many others have done, I sign off now permanently. There is little of value here - as is typical of so many message boards. They remain, primarily, for those of you who are anger mongers, a place to find kindred souls with which to vent.

As for me, my doctorate is from the University of California at Berkeley. A place where you probably would not even qualify to be a tourist.