DO NO EAT tHE LAMBI

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
until October 31st.. There is a legal ban on eating lambi.. conch.. now since it is their breeding season.

please pass this on to everyone you know who owns a restuarant or hotel

since the fisherman will, of course, still gather and kill them if the tourists do not know this

posters would be GREAT!!

(I believe that the same goes for lobster but others will have to look that up ,, I am already sad to deprive the summer visitors of lambi which is my favorite seafood)

jbars

Jul 6, 2007
My favorite too, but out of respect to the species I will refrain from eating it when I am there.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
pulpo is a good substitute....... excellent

lobster breeding season is on now too, I think..... longer off season

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
until October 31st.. There is a legal ban on eating lambi.. conch.. now since it is their breeding season.

please pass this on to everyone you know who owns a restuarant or hotel

since the fisherman will, of course, still gather and kill them if the tourists do not know this

posters would be GREAT!!

(I believe that the same goes for lobster but others will have to look that up ,, I am already sad to deprive the summer visitors of lambi which is my favorite seafood)

I doubt that lambi is on the top culinary list of summer visitors.
This info should be passed on to our Haitian brothers and sisters.

Eugeniefs

Jan 24, 2008

I agree with Lobo, I think it is more the locals than visitors who enjoy this delicacy. And as far as summer visitors go here in PC, there aren't that many so many of the hotels are remodeling right now!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
lambi is being sold everywhere anyways. but since you asked i will not eat it until november. i quite like it but i only ever eat it out. too much work to prepare it.

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
Back in the late '90's, while in Boca Chica, I was told gringos should not eat the smaller fish during the summer months. The water was warm enough to breed a certain bacteria not agreeable to us.
I like lambi and had it in BC several times. It may have been summer when a bad time followed.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com

well since Haitians eat what they can get.. maybe chicken once a week or once a month... and since Dominicans eat chicken or meat once a day.. if the Dominicans could just forgo the conch for a few months.. that would make a dent... n'est ce pas? Considering that they are still havecholera and are living in tents over there?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Dominican water's "Spiny Lobsters" aren't worth eating ANY time of the YEAR anyway!!!!!!
I eat "Conch" in countries where they wash their hands, and have refrigeration,not here!
But plenty of vinegar helps kill the bacteria!
Someone should teach Dominicans how to make Conch Fritters!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I presume this is the same as the lobster ban during breeding months - restaurants and stores that have frozen product and can prove it was purchased before the ban date, can sell/serve it.

I know LaSirena always has a huge freezer full of lambi when I look for it.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Dominican water's "Spiny Lobsters" aren't worth eating ANY time of the YEAR anyway!!!!!!
I eat "Conch" in countries where they wash their hands, and have refrigeration,not here!
But plenty of vinegar helps kill the bacteria!
Someone should teach Dominicans how to make Conch Fritters!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

we make 'em--- up here in the boondocks

just get a recipe online.... easy. .... deep fried is Dominican, right?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
we make 'em--- up here in the boondocks

just get a recipe online.... easy. .... deep fried is Dominican, right?

I've never seen deep fried lambi in DR - I think that's more Italian.

When we make lambi in DR, we clean it, and then I like cut it into small pieces and run it through the chopping blade of the food processor. Sautee onions, garlic, green peppers [add cachuchas if you want a little 'bite'] and add the chopped lambi. Add some tomato paste [tablespoon or two] and water, oregano and chopped cilantro. Add salt to taste [I like black pepper too, but most Dominicans don't use it] Serve it over white rice. Delicioso, and very fast and easy!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
CCCCologne was talking 'Conch Fritters'.......

Bahamian thing but easy b/cof the deep frying

I'm going to teach the people here how to do it

we do it for ourselves 'in house'

Apr 10, 2014

When we make lambi in DR, we clean it, and then I like cut it into small pieces and run it through the chopping blade of the food processor. Sautee onions, garlic, green peppers [add cachuchas if you want a little 'bite'] and add the chopped lambi. Add some tomato paste [tablespoon or two] and water, oregano and chopped cilantro. Add salt to taste [I like black pepper too, but most Dominicans don't use it] Serve it over white rice. Delicioso, and very fast and easy!

Make it the same exact way without the saut?ed onions. Can eat that stuff every day.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012

Now we're talking!

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
ha!
thread starts with a plea to not eat lambi until end of october and now we are getting recipes.

evolution.