Living in Villa Mella

Yachtmaster

Jul 2, 2007
www.genesisbvi.com
Anyone have experience in living in the Villa Mella area of Santo Domingo Norte - what is the area like - is it safe - does it have good supermarkets, bars and the like?

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Villa Mella and safe are not usually used in the same sentence. Great chiccharones though.

I looked at apartments in Villa Mellla about a month ago (ended up in Villa Faro) when I first
decided I was moving back here from Charamicos. If you find an area you feel comfortable in
try taking a walk through it sometime after 8:00pm. This should give you a pretty good idea
of how things move at night. Also, if you speak some basic Spanish try striking up a conversation
with someone who lives in the area. Dominican's in general like to talk about their neighborhoods
and I am sure they will let you know if the area has too many problems.

You might consider the residential area located directly behind the Gregorio Luperon metro station. Its feels
laid back at night and not doesn't have to many cut through streets that attract drifters.

Good luck.

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
Lived there first four years here were in Villa Mella, there's decent areas and ugly areas, I lived first year Sol de Luz, then 3 years en Maximo Gomez, they were both decent areas quite and relativity clean.

No frills living mostly.

g'luck