Arrivals Down At POP During First 3 Months Of 2014

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From today's Sosua News:

The Director of Operations of Gregorio Luper?n International Airport in Puerto Plata, Enrique Pacheco, reported that in the first three months of 2014, 289.000 passenger passed the terminal. Pacheco said the number represents a decrease of 7,200 passengers compared to the same period in 2013. This difference is due to the loss of the Russian market, which did two flights per 10 days from Moscow and St. Petersburg. In the first three months of the year there have been an average of 69 flights per week from 15 airlines from the United States, Canada, Europe and the Caribbean islands, he said.

The Public Relations Director of the Dominican airports (AERODOM), Yolanda Manan, did add to this, that despite the decline in the number of passenger in the first three months, they do expect a slight increase over the year 2014. Enrique Pacheco explained this by telling that they expect some new flights because Air Berlin and Condor fly more often, and some other airlines are planning to start flights, including Argentina. Yolanda Manan also mentioned that between January and March, the Scandinavian market grew by 26.5% compared to the same period in 2013.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
You can also thank our super duper director of turismo, Lorenzo, for much of the decline. His steady fight on stopping the prostitution in Sosua has scared off many. Eventhough his fight isn't doing much and never will, the negativity is taking a toll.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
And you can thank the airport taxes which are higher than almost anywhere else.

Lorenzo is just following orders from Santo Domingo.

SosuaSam

Jan 4, 2010
The first three months of this year I didn't see the govt doing anything about the prostitution. I though all of that stuff started in spring and summer.

I think there are more and more vacations options opening up for people in Mexico and DR and elsewhere and the vacation dollars are probably being spread out a bit more. I wonder if Punta Cana was up in traffic, probably all the prostitute seekers moving from POP to PUJ if seamonkey is right.

DonDR

Jul 14, 2010
Those two flights were transferred from Puerto Plata to Punta Cana. There are 7 or 8 direct flights a week from Russia now. The planes are full.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Punta Cana airport has more flghts than every other DR airport combined. They are building a 100 Million US dollar new terminal also. More flights come in here in one afternoon than in a month at POP.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The first three months of this year I didn't see the govt doing anything about the prostitution. I though all of that stuff started in spring and summer.

I think there are more and more vacations options opening up for people in Mexico and DR and elsewhere and the vacation dollars are probably being spread out a bit more. I wonder if Punta Cana was up in traffic, probably all the prostitute seekers moving from POP to PUJ if seamonkey is right.

There was a report posted recently on DR1 that PUJ has 7 to 8 times the volume of traffic that POP has now.

SosuaSam

Jan 4, 2010
Maybe PUJ is getting more traffic because tourists like the idea of staying on a resort and not leaving it. Wonder why that is? Maybe they like security and not being hassled. If that is the case, then Sosua has no option but try to clean itself up and try to present a more secure environment to at least try to get some of those tourists back. The reputation of whore town can only drive tourists to go elsewhere. If they can't clean it up, then Sosua has no one to blame but themselves if they continue to see PUJ going up while they go down.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Maybe PUJ is getting more traffic because tourists like the idea of staying on a resort and not leaving it. Wonder why that is? Maybe they like security and not being hassled. If that is the case, then Sosua has no option but try to clean itself up and try to present a more secure environment to at least try to get some of those tourists back. The reputation of whore town can only drive tourists to go elsewhere. If they can't clean it up, then Sosua has no one to blame but themselves if they continue to see PUJ going up while they go down.

Are you saying that Sosua has the potential to compete with Punta Cana? Not a chance...ever. The reputation of Sosua not being a whore town is what is driving tourists away. Families will always go to PC for the all-inclusives. Sosua is a boutique hotel destination and people including the government NEED to accept what Sosua is and stop trying to change it. Cleaning it up, making is safer and taking care of the local expats is necessary, but going after a market that won't come here makes no sense.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

the reputation of being a whore town certainly has not hurt Pattaya. let me ask, for the nth time, what does Sosua have that will attract tourists?

Curacaoleno

Bronze
Apr 26, 2013

Some tourists like the idea of having everything prepaid before leaving to the RD. Ass the resort is AI you wont have many unexpected expenses. Others like the idea of safety.

In regards to the chicas.. if they cannot earn the money in Sosua they have to look for another place to provide services. In the end this work is a vast income for many Dominican chicas and their families.

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
Everything these days depends on quality. Punta Cana resorts are all very new... the infrastructure works....they have far higher standards than the North Coast. Just spent a week in Playa Dorado....the hotel is run down but extremely cheap.....99% of the clientelle were Dominicans......they cannot afford Punta Cana.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Everything these days depends on quality. Punta Cana resorts are all very new... the infrastructure works....they have far higher standards than the North Coast. Just spent a week in Playa Dorado....the hotel is run down but extremely cheap.....99% of the clientelle were Dominicans......they cannot afford Punta Cana.

100% correct and that statement should end all arguments.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Sosua attracts a specific type of tourist. The type of tourist that goes to the AIs in PC will never even consider Sosua as a destination...even if it is cleaned up.

People keep mentioning safety in Sosua. They clean up the girls, who are generally safe. They leave the drug dealers, motos and touts, who are generally the problem when it comes to safety. Makes sense.

If this continues, be prepared for a drop over then next few years.

May 5, 2007
the reputation of being a whore town certainly has not hurt Pattaya. let me ask, for the nth time, what does Sosua have that will attract tourists?

Something struck me in reading your post: Exactly what does Sosua have to attract tourists and what type of tourist are attracted to Sosua? (Not particularly directed at you or you post but to anyone)

No derogatory inference here, simply a question

A few people say that Sosua attracts different type than PC but exactly what is that type?

May years ago I first started visiting the DR as a young and single guy, it offered everything Women, alcohol, warm beaches and easy weekend travel I think that is all still available but it appears from post here that is not what Sosua is looking for?

Seriously, what does Sosua offer to tourist that can’t be found elsewhere and what type of tourist look for that which Sosua offers?

I guess I am just asking pretty much what you did, your question of "What does Sosua offer to the tourist" kind of hit me square in the face

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010

The tour operators decide where people will go. They run the market and work on the financial margins. If another resort can come up with a better cost/return and the least hassle for them, that's where they will send the people.

They care very little for a place's reputation or what's on offer there, purely what they can sell it for,how many they can sell and how much they have to pay for it.Just like a shopkeeper really.