Lets Help Out Lorenzo Sancassani with Tourism

SosuaSam

Jan 4, 2010
Let's say you have suddenly been put in charge of North Coast tourism. You know there are a lot of condos and villas being built on the North Coast and you want to increase tourism levels. You don't want to keep it the same, you want to increase it. Let's hear some ideas regarding what you would do. There are a lot of experienced people with a lot of opinions out there and he needs all the help he can get.

Don't get bogged down arguing with others why their ideas are no good, simply say what you would do. I'm interested to see how many varying opinions we get.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Well lets see..... thats a tall order, seeing that there are no hotels for these new tourists to stay in...... in Cabarete there was...... Paraiso del Sol, Camino del Sol, Windsurf, la Piedra (former hotel across from Windsurf, could be a spelling error) Casa Laguna, Azurro Club, and finally Breezes.....8 hotels closed in the last 8yrs just in Cabarete. Looks like Cellismo Cabarete is on its last legs too.......

I was driving to PP with the head of tourismo last year and we were talking about 'high season' and I asked if he thought there would be more tourists for the north coast, and he flattly said NO! I ask why and he replies: "Where are they going to stay?"

You can throw out all the ideas you want, but if there are no beds people just ain't gonna come.
Need to start there and work upwards......

My thoughts not yours........

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
Throughout the North Coast it's the same story....the hotels that are operating are in need of severe modernisation. The area in general is by it's sell by date

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
SosuaSam , Hammer Down ,
There is a post in another thread that I think say a lot about the problems : http://dr1.com/forums/north-coast/144877-arrivals-down-pop-during-first-3-months-2014-a-4.html

I have copied it here and it is an interesting first post by Rustxko Post #32 :

There is a lot of tourism discussion on this board, and I thought I'd weigh in instead of troll for information. I am a tourist that has been to PC and Sosua. I am in no way an expert. I've spent a total of 4 weeks in DR, but I've been travelling in Latin American and the Caribbean for 12 years.

I think the post above about the type of tourist is a bigger deciding factor in a tourist destination choice than is often recognized. The driving force between being tourist number 1 that's wanting to experience something different and tourist number 2 who wants to reside in a AI 1 stop shop on a pretty beach is safety. I prefer to be tourist number 1 but I've considered never going to Sosua again for reasons I'll get to, but here are my general opinions.

1st, the reputation for safety is really bad. My friends and co-workers know that I travel and they will ask me for advice on places. Most US tourists I talk to are too afraid not to stay at a AI in DR. I've recommended to the north coast to friends, and they think I'm crazy for going to Sosua and Cabarete. They say if they went at all it would be to a AI in POP. A friend I've travelled off the AI beaten path a little with in Mexico refuses to go with me. He prefers to return to Mexico because he thinks the cartels just kill each other there and in the DR its open season on locals and tourists alike. Even though, he has little faith in the police there, he believes the federales and navy will keep the tourists safe as a priority.

2nd, the police in the DR do not inspire confidence. While police corruption is endemic throughout Latin American and the Caribbean, the police in the DR have a particularly bad wrap which I don't think it completely undeserved. Once again, 4 weeks is a small sample size, but I don't really see them do much even the PN which you would think would be the most professional but it appears to be the opposite. They should address the panhandlers, pick pockets, and dealers in some way.

Think of it from a tourist standpoint. You see a guy wrestle with a pick pocket and police within eyeshot do nothing. A typical tourist thinks I'm out of here. They'll just let you get attacked

You see panhandlers going up and down the street approaching tourists and the police do nothing. The average tourist thinks There is serious third world desperation here. This is not a safe place

When you pass by a row of guys and every one asks you if you want some dope, a tourist thinks This is so out in the open that it isn't safe here. Let's be honest. A lot of tourist like dope or those guys wouldn't be there, and there are those guys in every tourist town, but they should limit the amount of them. Generally speaking local organized crime usually limits the amount of them, but there seems to be nothing organized in the DR.

3rd. The whores. They are really less a major factor in driving away tourism than most people think. One thing, most tourists don't know they are there in other tourist towns unless they are the kind of tourist that is looking for it. The girls in Sosua really aren't that aggressive. Personally, I thought the ladies were much more aggressive in Costa Rica. I just don't stop in the bars they frequent, and I don't talk to them in the street. They rarely say anything to me. Every tourist town that I have ever been to has hookers by the truckload. Jaco in CR is easily as big a whore town as Sosua, but I've known groups of women and couples that travel there. Why? Because it's perceived as safe. In Cancun, there are strip clubs/whorehouses a block off Ave Kukulkan in the tourist zone and in Cabo San Lucas, they are mixed right in with the tourist bars/clubs. Most tourists don't know because they don't see scantly clad women twerking in the street. They just see a neon sign and think strip club. The issue in Sosua is that its right out in the open and on the same street non-sex tourists want to hang out on. Make the girls go inside or clear off. Don't keep them out in the street. The glass going up at the clubs was a good idea. You put them out of sight and then you kick them out in the street. It makes no sense, and when you combine hookers with pick pockets, drug dealers, and beggers, tourists don't feel safe. Most tourists would accept any of the 4 on the streets in limited numbers but the public concentration at that one intersection in Sosua is crazy. As a tourist, you feel like you're running a gauntlet if you have to walk through there.

4th. I hate that I feel this way, but I sometimes feel that some locals in Sosua don't even want tourists around. I've had a much more welcoming feeling in PC. It seems that collectively people there understand that taking care of the tourist in terms of safety and entertainment and supporting that industry is in everybody's best interest. In Sosua, I don't get the same feeling as much. In other towns when there is an crime committed against a tourists, business owners come out in droves to ensure the police take severe action because they don't want it to hurt their business. They have the most to lose or gain from tourism. There is a screw over the rich tourist in any tourist town but in Sosua, I really get that feeling. It's probably mostly due to already being on edge for the reasons cited above. It also might be that some local people think that all the tourists that come there are there to exploit, get high, and take advantage of the women and they put off that vibe. Either way, those two types of tourists are going to exist. The strange thing is, that in Sosua, people seem to think that they can exist on the same street and I don't think they can. If those activities were separated by even two blocks, you have a whole different nightlife scene and you could police and control it effectively.

I know that's a book of negativity, but I do like the north coast. I'll probably return because I really like the beach scene and uniqueness. The beach scene is really great, and it's near a access point like POP. I kind of think of Sosua as more dangerous wild west version of Isla Mujeres. Anyways, I wanted to share one tourist's opinion.

#################

Thanks Rusty - very interesting .

Olly and the Team

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
The closing of hotels suggest that there is a lack of demand and not a shortage of supply. Overall, tourists want good experiences (fun, beautiful or romantic things to do) and to feel like a king or queen for a week or so...

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Woman will not come to Sosua as there are few clean bathrooms and accomadations in the whole entire town. Let the guys come and give them discount coupons for the chicas, or one of those discount cards "buy 9 get the 10th one for free".............................................you asked

DonDR

Jul 14, 2010
The authorities want to open "Zona Franca" in Sosua - let them open it on the territory of airport Luperon (tranform or devide and reorganize the company). This transformation would lead eventually to lowering the price of the tickets. The competitive price of flights to Puerto Plata will attract more tourists. This would lead to the interest of investors in the area ... same as in PC - more tourists lead to more developers.

You have to start from something if you want to get 10 mil tourists a year.

Apr 7, 2010
I know it is hard at the moment, but lot's of people are being positive about the future of Sosua. A friend of mine took onboard the call to promote Sosua has a dive location and he started a new website to do that. www.sosuadiving.com full of really nice photos taken underwater in Sosua. A lot of people talk Sosua down, really, it is time to talk about the good things Sosua has to offer for families and lets all stop undermining the change that is happening and embrace the new direction Sosua is heading in.

John Danzell

May 19, 2014
www.facebook.com
Although Playa Dorada is a massive AI complex, and one of the largest in the world, I doubt that AI tourism is the way forward for the North Coast. AI destinations typically cater to a unique group of tourists; Cancel the Adventure tourists, Cultural tourists, and Eco-tourists, and you are left with the AI crowd. These individuals seeks an "escape" which is really the same westernized environment of their home countries, but located as an enclave in a foreign country. They typically don't have the desire to explore and experience a foreign way of life, or they are too fearful to venture out. Also some just don't want to see the poverty of a developing country or deal with a foreign language, so the artificial experience keeps them blissfully naive. Currently Punta Cana has the greatest hold on this market in DR. But the North Coast can and probably should market itself as an authentic Dominican experience. Exploring Puerto Plata, Santiago, Sosua, and Cabarete, yields an experience that is far more diverse than what one can experience as a captive audience on a Punta Cana resort. It has big city life, rural life, coastal life, mountain life, a diversity of places to eat and types of cuisine, a diversity of places to shop, a diversity of places to party, and much history to explore. No amount of capital investment on that East Coast desert land, can duplicate the varied natural world and history of the North Coast.

What I find most interesting is that the USA is the largest contributor of tourist to DR, and yet the unique culture of DR has not been marketed to the people of the USA outside of the major Dominican markets like NYC and Miami. Most USA citizens have never been exposed to Merengue, Bachata, Dembow, Presidente beer, Brugal rum, Dominican Carnival, or the history of Hispaniola. When a person learns about a resort they want to experience the resort, but when a person learns about a unique and vibrant culture, then they want to experience the culture. If more people are exposed to what defines the culture and the beauty of this island nation, then i believe that more tourist would choose other parts of the island over the artificial experience of Punta Cana.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
I know it is hard at the moment, but lot's of people are being positive about the future of Sosua. A friend of mine took onboard the call to promote Sosua has a dive location and he started a new website to do that. www.sosuadiving.com full of really nice photos taken underwater in Sosua. A lot of people talk Sosua down, really, it is time to talk about the good things Sosua has to offer for families and lets all stop undermining the change that is happening and embrace the new direction Sosua is heading in.

Sorry...not a dislike...hate that.

OK, I know the person you are talking about. Yes Sosua has good diving.

I like it because there is nothing to do. I can walk everywhere. I like the beach and its bars. Weather is great. It's close to the airport.

Bad things, need to be fixed. Tap water is dangerous. Police are terrible. Most restaurants are not great (sea food is spotty at best). Most hotels are....run down. The bars in the center of town are uninviting...this is the Caribbean, open air should be the rule. There is no real shopping. Transportation is horrible. Driving is taking a huge risk (if in an accident). Is there any real emergency response in this town? They rip you off twice at the airport, even before you even get to Sosua (the exchange rate and the taxis)

What attracted you?

Please list some more good things.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
If I was minister of tourism, I would tackle the problem of POP airport owned by Aerodom.

POP airport has some of the highest taxes/fees in the world. Someone once mentioned that the fees are on par with Charles de Gaulle Paris. Also the aviation fuel in POP is the most expensive in the Caribbean.

Ok so Aerodom have invested quite a lot with the recent refurbishments, but it is extortionately expensive to try and run any kind of commercial venture from this airport. From selling a stick of gum to providing aircraft maintenance, it is very difficult to attempt a viable business.

If the government could intervene and either take over the administration of the airport or subsidise it, they could give airlines an incentive to fly there and in turn resurrect the interest of the tour operators who fill the planes with passengers.

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
Agree with everything said so far - we need better hotels, better golf course and better security. The current strategy seems to be get rid of the whores and tourists will come - I have argued that I do not understand this strategy at all. Living here now for a number of years and it is not the whores that are the problem in my mind. To me get rid of the rest of the street scum - motos, chulos, chainz guys and drug dealers that seem to be able to do what they want and the towns will be much safer. A radical idea I have mentioned to others (probably not feasable) would be to institute a privatized police force to ensure the safety of the residents and tourists on the north coast - in the current state PN, AMET, CESTUR do not give protection but also are more of a pain to deal with if you are a victim of crime - most folks here just except that they have been victimized and don't pursue justice (legally) since the whole system is so corrupt - if people felt that the reporting of crime would actually lead to the punishment of the criminals then we would see many more reports and many more arrests. How it stands now most feel they have been victimized once already so why pursue justice (legal) and get victimized a second time....tom

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004
The POP area will never return to what once was. The local population out numbers the tourist population and the POP area has become too urbanized. First time visitors don't need or want the hassles that are associated with largely populated local area's.

I do agree with bezza about the airport though the airport would be the first place to start.

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
It has been many years since we have come across a toilet in a restaurant in Sosua that has not been clean. Just as clean as in any urban center in the U.S. or Canada that we have visited.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Let's say you have suddenly been put in charge of North Coast tourism. You know there are a lot of condos and villas being built on the North Coast and you want to increase tourism levels. You don't want to keep it the same, you want to increase it. Let's hear some ideas regarding what you would do. There are a lot of experienced people with a lot of opinions out there and he needs all the help he can get.

Don't get bogged down arguing with others why their ideas are no good, simply say what you would do. I'm interested to see how many varying opinions we get.

You can't expect growth in POP when the hot spots are Punta Cana and Samana. The last time I went to an all inclusive in POP at Playa Dorado was probably 15 years ago and the facilities were old then. The one things that DR tourism should push is golf. There are some nice courses and with cheap AIs you can attract people. The North Coast has its niche for regulars that return time and time again. I am not sure you can attract a significant number of newbies.

SosuaSam

Jan 4, 2010
There are two golf course on the North Coast (PD and PG) and perhaps building one (9 hole) closer to Cabarete would help. Why not get the golf courses to work together with cheap golf packages and transport from towns. What up with the old Azul course near Cab?

The beach in Cabarete is very long however all the beach restaurants are grouped around one area in town. What about having more beach restaurants further along the beach to spread out the activity and make the entire beach more walking friendly.

Maybe tourism should market the North Coast as a retiree area and focus on things retiree's might want; like good police security, control of crazy drivers and noisy motos, cheap/clean/safe public transport so that old people don't have to jam into guaguas or taxis that's seem ready to fall apart. Fix sidewalks in Sosua/Cab/POP - walking on these can be difficult. Maybe more public parking lots (with security) and take all the parked cars off the main streets.

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
If I was minister of tourism, I would tackle the problem of POP airport owned by Aerodom.

POP airport has some of the highest taxes/fees in the world. Someone once mentioned that the fees are on par with Charles de Gaulle Paris. Also the aviation fuel in POP is the most expensive in the Caribbean.

Ok so Aerodom have invested quite a lot with the recent refurbishments, but it is extortionately expensive to try and run any kind of commercial venture from this airport. From selling a stick of gum to providing aircraft maintenance, it is very difficult to attempt a viable business.

If the government could intervene and either take over the administration of the airport or subsidize it, they could give airlines an incentive to fly there and in turn resurrect the interest of the tour operators who fill the planes with passengers.

This subsidy needs to be stated in CAPS! Cancun is successful because of the government subsidy of the airport.The solution is simple subsidize the airport and you will see the stats improve. Maybe Lifestyle & Casa Linda could help with the subsidy to ensure their success.

SosuaSam

Jan 4, 2010
The DR government must have spent millions on double lane highways around PC so when you drive around there you feel that you are in a nice modern area. Probably the big resort owners squeezed the government to do this. Maybe they should spend 10% of that money fixing roads, sidewalks, cleaning up junk, and generally trying to beautify some of the key tourist towns on the North Coast.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The POP area will never return to what once was. The local population out numbers the tourist population and the POP area has become too urbanized. First time visitors don't need or want the hassles that are associated with largely populated local area's.

I do agree with bezza about the airport though the airport would be the first place to start.

when you say that the local population outnumbers the tourist population, whatever do you mean? is that not how things usually work? or can you point me to a place on earth where tourists outnumber native people?