• Thread starter Dominican Bruce, Ph.D.
  • Start date

Ascot (non) Advisory Service and John Schroeder

D

Dominican Bruce, Ph.D.

John Schroeder:

I am here in the DR, in Santiago. I do not disagree with your comments regarding your decision to move from Panama. However, it is what you do not include that disturbs me. At your income level, you simply do not appreciate the impact your letter has on more typical middle income people contemplating a move outside the USA. Prices, for comparable goods are 25% to 300% of US prices, except for housing. The only other advantage here is lack of income taxes. The net effect is a cost similar to the US, after taxes.

It is a real dis-service and questionable business practice to use the "come-on" of "assisting" people with a DR business entity by inflating the pluses and deflating the minuses of the DR.

The entire basis of what you propose, i.e., your business, is unsound. Nothing you propose aids, assists or otherwise is valuable to someone who wants to open a business here. I know, I have talked to several leading DR attorneys now, and some political middle-weights. Why do you not tell your clients that if they get in trouble here and need a good lawyer, one will cost $250/hour or more? Or, roughly the same price as a lawyer in New York.

The goal of wealthy Dominicans, and of the other classes here, is to separate foreigners from their money. You cannot be here, or any other country, for a month, as a resident, without coming to the conclusion that:

1) It is their Country
2) You are an alien, even with residency and a passport, you are an outsider
3) In the long run, the only money to be made here is off of neophyte foreigners such as those who read your newsletters (which are really infomercials

A

Anny Mosity

Re: Ascot (non) Advisory Service and John Schroede

<body background="http://swapshare.com/images/flagbg1.jpg">
Bruce, I couldn't agree more. I always worry about services called "advisory".