Claro at a Crawl

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
Anyone else having slow speeds from Claro? I'm getting about 0.30mbps doing a speedtest. Been going on for most of the afternoon here in Santiago.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I'm with Claro and getting a little over 8mb...........
No problems with Claro's d/l, but problems with a couple of sites I download from.............

B in Santiago

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Anyone else having slow speeds from Claro? I'm getting about 0.30mbps doing a speedtest. Been going on for most of the afternoon here in Santiago.

It would help to know where you are in-country.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
We've been having problems with Claro DSL for 6 weeks now. Seems the local center cannot provide enough bandwidth for the local growth.

Our problem hasn't been speed. It's been server connections either timing out or not being found, both symptoms of under capacity.

We learned that Claro has increased local capacity a little but not a lot-an additional 10mb-and things are better. But as more are connected I expect problems once again.

Talking to Claro internet customer service is like talking to a box of Legos & Tinkertoys. If it weren't for inside info, we'd be going ballistic.

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
Talking to Claro internet customer service is like talking to a box of Legos & Tinkertoys. If it weren't for inside info, we'd be going ballistic.

I got very lucky today. I spoke with someone named Francisco at Claro Tech Support and we troubleshot the situation. This is the first time anyone over the phone at Claro has been even remotely helpful.

After about 15-20 minutes we figured out it was my router. It's going bad and isn't able to handle the data. Unfortunately I have to use the Claro modem/router that was supplied on installation which does not provide signal throughout my apartment. Now I'll wait for Amazon to deliver to Miami and I can update you all and let you know if I got charged the under $200 tax from Aduanas.

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
Claro banda ancha signal extremely weak in Costambar.
Can't load a page without timing out.
Had to hang the stick out the window with a long USB extension cord, and it works, but S L O W . . .
Cell phones all have crackles and drops. 220-1111 can't stay up long enough to take a complaint.
Kindle freezes.
Has an EMP done us in, or are they just picking on me?

MpJuly

Apr 30, 2009
here in Sosua, at least for me no problems I pay for 3 Mbps / 768 Kbps

i get 3.2 Mbps / 1.05 Mbps

but sometime the modem reconnect to an inferior speed, i have to reboot it to get to good speed, the central seem to have problem when the power fluctuates, or after a power outage...

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
here in Sosua, at least for me no problems I pay for 3 Mbps / 768 Kbps

i get 3.2 Mbps / 1.05 Mbps

I think pelaut was referring to 3G internet, not Claro DSL line.

Pelaut, if banda ancha is your only source of internet in Costambar then go and swap 3G USB stick for 3G wireless router. It has SMA-type external antenna connector. Have very positive experience with external antennas for those 3G boxes (Claro and Orange FlyBox) in places where without antennas there were no signal at all.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Claro banda ancha signal extremely weak in Costambar.
Can't load a page without timing out.
Had to hang the stick out the window with a long USB extension cord, and it works, but S L O W . . .
Cell phones all have crackles and drops. 220-1111 can't stay up long enough to take a complaint.
Kindle freezes.
Has an EMP done us in, or are they just picking on me?

internet and phone lines were all dead in costambar. even my cellphone service was patchy. claro was in the area all day fixing stuff. back to normal now.

vmhatup

Aug 18, 2009
I literally had no internet access in Santiago yesterday; it was so bad Whatsapp wasn't working. It sort of came back yesterday late in the afternoon.

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
I think pelaut was referring to 3G internet, not Claro DSL line.

Pelaut, if banda ancha is your only source of internet in Costambar then go and swap 3G USB stick for 3G wireless router. It has SMA-type external antenna connector. Have very positive experience with external antennas for those 3G boxes (Claro and Orange FlyBox) in places where without antennas there were no signal at all.

Yup. Did that. Claro took 2 days in the house and finally annulled the contract saying: "the lines are not conditioned for it".
Nothing about needed amplifiers, bigger wire, you name it, just the above.
They took all the equipment back but left the house wired for a 3g wireless wifi router and a wire coming onto the property that's "not conditioned for it".

Go figure.

MpJuly

Apr 30, 2009
"not conditioned for it" ???

Before I had 4mbps, then Claro said the line is too long, and lowered the speed to 3mbps, anyway I had 4mbps for 2 weeks without problem and one day I had problem, Claro does not even know why...

Yup. Did that. Claro took 2 days in the house and finally annulled the contract saying: "the lines are not conditioned for it".
Nothing about needed amplifiers, bigger wire, you name it, just the above.
They took all the equipment back but left the house wired for a 3g wireless wifi router and a wire coming onto the property that's "not conditioned for it".

Go figure.