Sidewalk Between Charamicos & El Batey

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From today's Sosua News:

Sos?a's mayor Ilana Neumann has ordered the Public Works Department under the supervision of architect Nolberto Mota, the construction of a sidewalk between the neighborhoods Charamicos and El Batey.

The main street that connects Charamicos and El Batey is dangerous for pedestrians because of the heavy traffic. Most residents of Charamicos therefore use the beach to walk to El Batey. The schoolchildren also make daily use of the beach to walk from Charamicos to El Batey. Now they started with the construction of a wonderful pedestrian thoroughfare which gives them the safety they need. The sidewalk will also be sufficiently lit in the evening and night which also enhanced the sense of security. The work is in full swing.

May 29, 2006
They've actually started? I've heard this project come up every couple years but never started, kind of like, "they're going to tear down the casitas to improve Playa Sosua."

Bob Boyd

Feb 3, 2004
Why are they building it on the far side, away from the beach? Kids are going to have to cross the highway on each end in order to use the walk.

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
How many times will the water line that runs along that area be broken during the project? Hopefully it has been moved in the past 10 years.

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
Why are they building it on the far side, away from the beach? Kids are going to have to cross the highway on each end in order to use the walk.

Kids and families are going to use this??? I doubt it... Its all for show. In two years it will be in dis-repair and no money to maintain it. Maybe buses when they park on Sunday and the guys wanting to charge you to watch your car when you park there... But seriously, there will be more usable land area to sell on the beach side of the road when the land is eventually sold to a developer. The homes on the opposite side of the beach and up the hill will demand an over or underpass to get across the road and will fund that when they are built probably... Who knows...enjoy the show... LOL

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
This doesn't look like they're putting in a sidewalk. It looks like their digging a trench for something.

08-04_sidewalk.jpg

aname4me

Jun 18, 2011
As a walker.... important questions are
-is it shady?
-is it, in any way, shorter?
-is it easy to use (do I have to cross a busy street twice)?
-is it safer? Lighting is nice at night, but being hit by a motorcycle is not.
-on weekends, do I have to walk on the Road to get around parked Buses?
-what is going to keep vehicles off the walkway?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
As a walker.... important questions are
-is it shady? When the sun is behind the hill side
-is it, in any way, shorter? Depends upon where you are walking from and to.
-is it easy to use (do I have to cross a busy street twice)? You may have to cross the main highway once or twice, again depending upon where you are coming from and going to.
-is it safer? Lighting is nice at night, but being hit by a motorcycle is not. It should be safer than walking on a road side with no side walk.
-on weekends, do I have to walk on the Road to get around parked Buses?
-what is going to keep vehicles off the walkway?

They have never allowed busses to park on that side of the road before. If they allow motor vehicles of any kind on the sidewalk it defeats the purpose of having a sidewalk. Will motos try to go on it? I am sure they will until they pay some heavy fines. You can still walk along the beach if you like, but I would not do that at night.

aname4me

Jun 18, 2011
Tricky to cross road.
By the Caribe Tours Lights... it is a DR free-for-all
At Eduardo Brito street... no Lights, it is a DR free-for-all
If the sidewalk makes it to the Playero Lights. (Ditch, stone wall??)
That would be nice, otherwise... no Lights, it is a DR free-for-all

Distances.. Playero Lights to Caribe Tours Lights
By Beach – 1.31Kms
By Road – 1.33Kms
(measured on Google Earth)

It should be safer than walking on a road side with no side walk. True

At night....
I don't walk anywhere in the DR at night.
But, I am sure, the lighting will be an improvement for the Locals.

So...
Shady in the morning.
Good, I like morning walks.
Look forward to trying it out.

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Here's my future prediction for a DR1 thread should this sidewalk ever be built. "Robberies galore"
I don't know anyone living in Sosua who would be foolish enough to walk down this stretch of road at night.
With so many people recently being put out of work with all of the "changes" going on in El Batey, you would be
putting yourself in very real danger using this sidewalk at night, lights or no lights.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
It takes hours to get from one end of the beach to the other and by the time I do I'm not walking straight and slurring my words! :)