Dominican residency via marriage

JonesL

Aug 4, 2014
Hello,

Can someone clarify what is the process if I would like to apply now for Dominican residency, I've been married to Dominicana now for exactly one year so does that help in any way?

And would you say to go for the cedula or not?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Well, the cedula comes with the residency.

Others will chime in, but I believe a man married to a Dominican woman is entitled to naturalization. I think you have to get residency first [have to live in DR 6 months if I'm not mistaken]. Several threads on this - they have a double standard in DR. As a woman married to a Dominican man, I can go straight for naturalization.

If you click on the Legal Forum [click on the word FORUM at the top left of this page, it will take you to the list of all forums], you can read all the prior threads about this, with links to the government pages that detail the requirements.

JonesL

Aug 4, 2014
Thanks for the tips! :)

Also forgot to write that we have a baby now with age of 13days, does that help in this case?

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Good luck !!!!
U need to apply for temporal residency. Same as everyone else. Except u do not need a "garantie", it is ure wife and do not need "solvencia economica".
I just finished applying. I now have a "numero de expediente", now I wait 3 months to see.
If I was u I would go directly to migracion in SD. I went through santiago DGM, and they were very helpful but said I needed above documents when in fact I didnt........
And I think u still need to start the process from ure home country ( rs visa ), but u should check that out.......

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
I don't think it helps actual application process start, other than you may be able to begin from DR rather than going back to your native land. But it does grease some hoops for you, but as I remember not as much as you would hope. Things are changing all the time and so it is worth investigating first hand to see where things are at the moment.
Good luck and congratulations on the wee'un!!

I expect your emotions are all over the place right now and so might be worth thinking about if you really need to bother with this expense and headache. It only benefits certain people to gain residency, most it doesn''t benefit at all, but by the time we realise this we have already suffered the headache and the hole in our pockets.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Hello,

Can someone clarify what is the process if I would like to apply now for Dominican residency, I've been married to Dominicana now for exactly one year so does that help in any way?

And would you say to go for the cedula or not?

Guzm?n Ariza | Immigration

a) those who may apply immediately for permanent residency; and

b) those who first must apply first for temporary residency. The following applicants may apply immediately for permanent residency status without having to previously obtain temporary residency status:

1) Investors of at least 200,000 USD in local businesses (including free zones and government contracts) or in local financial instruments.

2) Retirees with a monthly pension of at least 1,500 USD (plus 250 USD per dependent).

3) Applicants with monthly income of at least 2,000 USD for five years or more (rentistas).

4) Applicants related to Dominicans or to foreigners with permanent residency status in DR (spouses and children). The application process is essentially the same for both temporary and permanent residency, except for some additional documents required in permanent residency applications. EXPEDITED RESIDENCY Law 171-07, enacted July 13, 2007, acknowledges the benefit of foreign investments to the general and economic well-being of the Dominican people and nation.

SKMKISS

Aug 19, 2014
As a woman married to a Dominican man, I can go straight for naturalization.

Hi AlterEgo,

I'm a woman and married to a Dominican man also. How can i apply for citizenship straight away?

Any advice would be hugely appreciated! :)

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Hi AlterEgo,

I'm a woman and married to a Dominican man also. How can i apply for citizenship straight away?

Any advice would be hugely appreciated! :)

Here is part of a letter I received from Guzman-Ariza Attorneys, it should answer your questions. I'm told an attorney is not a necessity, you can try to do it yourself:

We’d be delighted to assist you in obtaining Dominican citizenship as the wife of a Dominican citizen, based on Article 11 of the Constitution and Article 1 of Law 1683 of 1948. I?m pleased to inform you that you are elegible to apply for Dominican citizenship directly, without applying for residency first

The application to the Ministry of Interior must be signed by both spouses and must be submitted with the following documents:

1) Certified copy of the marriage certificate, legalized at the Junta Central Electoral. If the marriage took place abroad, the certificate should be Apostilled in the country where it was issued or authenticated at the Dominican Consulate nearest to the place of issue of the document. If such country is a party of the Hague Convention, the authentication with the Apostille is mandatory.
If the marriage certificate is in a foreign language, it should be translated into Spanish by a translator certified in the DR.and authenticated at the General Attorney’s office in Santo Domingo.

2) Original or certified copy of your birth certificate, Apostilled in the country where it was issued or authenticated at the Dominican Consulate nearest to the place of issue of the document. If such country is a party of the Hague Convention, the authentication with the Apostille is mandatory. If the marriage certificate is in a foreign language, it should be translated into Spanish by a translator certified in the DR.and authenticated at the General Attorney’s office in Santo Domingo.

3) Certified copy of the husband’s birth certificate, legalized at the Junta Central Electoral.

4) 4 pictures, 2 x 2, of the wife (front view).

5) Photocopy of the husband’s C?dula.

6) Photocopy of the wife’s Passport.

7) Stamps, government fees, etc.

The couple should be married for at least six months before submitting the application.

You’ll need to be present at the Ministry of the Interior at least twice: the first for an interview a week after filing the application, and the second for the swearing-in as a Dominican citizen.

The process takes a minimum of 10 months to be completed and you do not have to live in the country during the process.

I hope I have been detailed enough in describing the proceedings. If you need any additional information, please let me know.

I've heard the apostiles/certifications must be less than 6 months old.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I have "permanent" residency through being a Rentista (category 3 in Guzman Ariza list) and I still have to renew it every 2 years. It only took me an hour last time, from start to finish, to renew, but it isn't exactly "permanent".

SKMKISS

Aug 19, 2014
I had another thought!

Once i've applied for citizenship, while its in process am i able to work??