EDEESTE Bill OUCH!!

Los Lobos

Mar 8, 2011
Wife thought she would be nice and let her brother stay in the house for summer break. He is working on his PhD in the states but goes back every summer. Month of July 3460 pesos. Just for those that have asked before this is the break down on the bill for KW. I would say 80% of this is from the 240 circuit for the AC and well pump.

Fixed Charge 137.25 pesos
200 KW @ 4.44
100 KW @ 6.97
160 KW @ 10.86
Total 3459.85

Bad part is that he is going to be there another month. I guess he didn't understand the part about not running the AC non stop or setting it on the coldest setting. My highest bill when I stay there was never over 2000.

texan

Apr 1, 2014
Wife thought she would be nice and let her brother stay in the house for summer break. He is working on his PhD in the states but goes back every summer. Month of July 3460 pesos. Just for those that have asked before this is the break down on the bill for KW. I would say 80% of this is from the 240 circuit for the AC and well pump.

200 KW @ 4.44
100 KW @ 6.97
160 KW @ 10.86
Total 3459.85

Bad part is that he is going to be there another month. I guess he didn't understand the part about not running the AC non stop or setting it on the coldest setting. My highest bill when I stay there was never over 2000.

So it was roughly $80 and before never over $46.50 ? It was $33.50 higher then you highest bill before. Sounds cheap if he has an AC running nonstop on the coldest setting. Not saying he couldn't pitch in for the electric bill. Maybe next time someone staying there just tell them no problem and have them pay the electric bill.

He should be saving money on not being at home. I lower my cable/internet/phone plan when I live the US and save a lot of that each month.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I wish 3460 would be my monthly bill here in Bavaro... :D

...would be a relieve, not an "ouch".

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
So what is a $30 investment for a brother in law with a doctorate? Unless, of course, it is in something like French Lit.

Let us hope that it is in something useful like microbiology.

Family, it is what we do. Right?

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002

200 KW @ 4.44
100 KW @ 6.97
160 KW @ 10.86
Total 3459.85

I thought we Dutchmen were cheap.....1500 pesos more is peanuts.

Los Lobos

Mar 8, 2011
1500 pesos more is a lot of beer!! I guess its more of a shock because when we stay we are always out and the only thing running during the day is the fridge. Usually only run the AC at night to sleep. Also if the power has gone out before we leave for the day we go thru and turn off everything so when the power comes back on nothings running that doesn't need to be. I guess because I actually pay for my electric I like to be more frugal and conserve what I can. :)

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
1500 pesos more is a lot of beer!! I guess its more of a shock because when we stay we are always out and the only thing running during the day is the fridge. Usually only run the AC at night to sleep. Also if the power has gone out before we leave for the day we go thru and turn off everything so when the power comes back on nothings running that doesn't need to be. I guess because I actually pay for my electric I like to be more frugal and conserve what I can. :)

Ask him to pay, if you are too shy because of perceived family obligations you pay.
A PhD candidate who studies in the US surely has some funds.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I appreciate frugalness, I check light, fans, ironers, a/c all the time as well...and it's a sport to see how low a bill I can get without giving up comfort....but still......1500 pesos extra per month is not a lot, if you have someone in your house 24/7 who needs to work in a closed room!....remember also that summer time is always more expensive because you use the a/c more and it needs to work harder to keep your house cool.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com

I was trained that way and ususally had only one light on in a room. Enter turn the light on. Leave turn the light off. But now, somehow, with the low light bulbs and age and perhaps laziness, I actually leave the hall light on and this or that light on so it is more cheerful. And often I do not remember what is on when the power goes out. Most of the time it wakes me up when the lights come up and the fan starts running and such.

probably he has been in the US for too long and is no longer used to black outs.

you could mention that the electric bill was (much) higher this month and remind him to (check) that the fans and ac and lights are off when he leaves a room .. in case of black out.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You are either very poor, or very cheap, or BOTH!!!!
"A Happy Wife Mahes A Happy Life"!
It HER brothr don't forget.
I feel like I feed my wife's entire family.
I just smile and say,...."Mas"??????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
ps., just paid my electric bill today, 19,760 pesos!
No sympathy from here!

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
"19,760"

Did you still not figured out that the "Zoologico" is hooked up to your meter? :bunny:

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Feel lucky. CEPM and CEPB charge 0.35 per kilowatt hour. (This is U.S. dollars, 35 cents per kwh). We pay what you paid and more and only run the a/c at night. This is the price we pay for virtually uninterrupted service 24/7.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
My bill last month was 1046 pesos. My bill due August 31 is 946 pesos.

I can skin a buffalo off a nickel.