Want to buy MOTORCYCLE- recommendations, please

latitude19

May 29, 2011
The last frank12 video is so gorgeous (and having watched all his past videos) it has convinced me to buy a motorcycle and explore the island like he does.

Here are some notes that may help determine what bike I should have:
1. I'm 44, 6"2",190, athletic- have done a lot of mountain biking
2. I would like to be able to travel all but the roughest of roads, however am NOT seeking out technical trails.
3. I would probably graduate to doing longer type day trips, maybe to 7 hours or so.
4. I'll be riding a lot of dirt roads.
5. Have a 5,000 or so budget unless a few thousand more would buy a much better bike.
6. I am thinking used bike. Does this make sense??
7. I am entirely NON-mechanical. Someone would have to fix my bike.
8. I speak spanish well.
9. I do not have any motorcycle riding experience, but learn fast.
10. I'll be based out of Esperanza, 30 min. NW of Santiago.

Thanks for any input.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
The last frank12 video is so gorgeous (and having watched all his past videos) it has convinced me to buy a motorcycle and explore the island like he does.

2. I would like to be able to travel all but the roughest of roads, however am NOT seeking out technical trails.
3. I would probably graduate to doing longer type day trips, maybe to 7 hours or so.
5. Have a 5,000 or so budget unless a few thousand more would buy a much better bike.
8. I speak spanish well.

Thanks for any input.

yamaha dt 125 is my suggestion, i'd go as new as budget allows.. just shop around for quite a while.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Check with Cobraboy on this site. Along with Frank, he's one of the most knowledgeable people around. He also owns motocaribe.com, which offers moto tours throughout the island.

He operates V-Stroms, and occasionally sells his older ones. Exceptionally well maintained, so you may be in for a great deal.

Just one thing: you DO know how to ride, right? His bikes are 650s, and while easy to ride, are not toys by any means. Be careful.

Sayonara is right that DT's are good bikes, but they're not the best for longer runs (a little buzzy, and your nether parts get numb after a while). If you're just puttering around in town or exploring nearby, then by all means go for it.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Before you do anything else, enroll in a Motorcycle Safety Foundation "Basic Rider Course." They are all over the U.S., and cost less than $300 for the weekend.

There is no better investment you can make, period.

BIG mistake: choosing the "type" of motorcycle you want before you understand motorcycling.

Those videos Frank does? Looks easy, huh? If you tried any of them, they are a compound fracture or worse waiting to happen. Ask Frank (or me) how many broken bones it took to gain a high level of competency...

First things first, proper order:
  1. Learn
  2. Have a scary near-death "Oh, SH!T" experience due to inexperience
  3. Buy the right motorcycle for the job

augustus

Dec 19, 2007

8. I speak spanish well.

Thanks for any input.

You would do a lot better, safety wise to buy a convertible and make due, safety-wise, JUST CONCERNED, THAT,S ALL...........

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Ok, you got my attention. I love anyone who loves motorcycles. But i especially love anyone who loves driving their motorcycles in an adventure type-style of riding even more. I don't like faggot riders who only take their expensive motorcycles out for weekend rides when it's not raining. If you're going to ride, then take it off road...choose the road less traveled! Otherwise, shut the fu&9k up.

Confession: i'm queer...but i'm a tough, motorcycling, fist-fighting, coffee guzzling queer. Long story. It has to do with Bears. Never mind. Long story. I'm sorry, i've had a lot of coffee today.

Ok, look, I don't know you well, but I like you already. I like your interest in motorcycles. I love anyone's interest in motorcycles. Maybe i mentioned this? I have some recommendations, but i need to know your level of motorcycling experience before i dispense advice. It needs to be extremely honest, because i got different recommendations for different levels of experience.

Basically, buying a motorcycle is like visiting a brothel. The more experience you have, the more adventurous, scary, furious, kinky type of ride you want, right?. I know, it's crazy. I'm sorry, nix that. Bad example. Look, you'll want the best ride available regardless of what your experience is, right? That's human nature. Why settle for a Suburu Legacy when you can spend a few dollars more and have the Suburu WRX/STI model, right? Why get the 6 cylinder Camaro when you can spend a few dollars more and have the 6.2 liter SS Corvette version, right? Same with motorcycles and women...why settle for a broken horse when you can ride the bronco for an accelerating, adrenaline rush that you will never forget--the kind you want to keep jumping back on for more...you know what i mean? Are we on the same page here?

I mean, who in their right fuc&*ing mind is going to buy a cheap ass Yamaha 125 DT when you can spend a little more and have a 450cc or 550cc single cyclinder rocketship that weighs the same amount or less, and has twice the HP & Torgue, right?Why settle for a homely girl that doesn't know what she is doing when you can have the bubble butt redhead that will ride you you into outer space. Are we on the same page?

This is how i see motorcycling...If you got the money, why not go for the Porsche GT3 level of motoring, instead of settling for some stupid Chinese knock-off, or worse, some stupid Indian Apache type of bike that's meant for Motoconching idiots around.

Frank

Last edited:

texan

Apr 1, 2014
Being 6'2" is a nice advantage especially for endure or dirt bikes. When learning to ride it is nice to be able to put both feet on the ground easily. I think knowing where you want to ride you can make some decisions before you start riding. If you know you want to do a lot of dirt roads then an endure bike might be a good choice. Then thinking about what kind of range you want. How long you want to be able to travel between stopping for gas. A dirt bike won't have a very big gas tank but an enduro will have a larger one. Then what kind of luggage you want to have. Some luggage is pretty expensive.

If you ride by yourself or with just other motorcycle riders you are going to have to carry all your own stuff. When I had the Goldwing and Road King a lot of the sport bike guys would want to store some of their stuff on my bike. When I road the ZRX1200R I just had a tank bag and some room under the seat. I could go for a weekend trip and have a change of cloths. But a longer trip I would off wanted to add saddlebags to the ZRX1200R which would cost a lot for hard bags.

The bad thing is bikes are expensive here and a lot harder to come by a good used one like in the US. I thought about having one imported here but I haven't bought a bike for here. If I do buy one I would like to ride a lot of the dirt roads which would be new for me.

I learned to ride in the US and did not take the motorcycle riding class. I was going to sign up and there wasn't a class available for a while. I did have a lot of friends that were willing to teach me and ride with me. I have had a lot of friends who took the motorcycle class and enjoyed it. I have some friends who took the class then never ended up buying a motorcycle.

I have owned a 85 Honda Goldwing, 99 Harley Road King and a 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R. I have never owned a dirt bike or enduro bike but one would be nice here.

I have looked at the Kawasaki KLR650 a lot which has been made for a long time. It is a tall bike for someone like me who is 5-08 but not for someone who is 6-02.

You could buy a cheaper chinese made bike to learn to ride and ride around your area. You might not lose a lot of money if you buy a used one or even a new one. Just get use to riding and make sure it is something you enjoy. Then later on buy a nicer bike.

I would buy something they are use to fixing here and not too complicated. I wouldn't get a fancy BMW, Aprilla, Ducati which would probably be out of your price range.

The V-Storm are cool bikes. When I was in Santo Domingo I saw a new Kawasaki Versys and it was pretty expensive. I forget the price but I know it was a lot more then in the US and they don't have any cheap financing either.

Standard and Enduro bikes ride more upright. They are in a more comfortable riding position and much easier to use the mirrors.My ZRX1200R was a standard and was pretty comfortable and easy to use the mirrors. It was not a bad bike to ride in traffic in the city. I would go sit on some bikes and look up the stats online. Compare the different seat heights.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I think you've been offered some good advice already, especially taking a motorcycle course. I took one and it saved me several times from dying a horrible death. Based on what I've been told by my wife's cousin, a motorcycle mechanic here in the DRwho prefers motocross bikes, but can fix them all the best motorcycle for cross purposes is a Yamaha Serow XT250. lOTS OF PARTS around to fix them, very duravble and powerful but light enough to throw around.
I have owned a Kawasaki 125, a Honda trail 90, a Honda Silver wing, A Honda Gold Wing, a Yamaha KZ350 that would make most people crap their pants it was so powerful, and several vintage bikes.

Last edited:

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Before you do anything else, enroll in a Motorcycle Safety Foundation "Basic Rider Course." They are all over the U.S., and cost less than $300 for the weekend.

There is no better investment you can make, period.

BIG mistake: choosing the "type" of motorcycle you want before you understand motorcycling.

Those videos Frank does? Looks easy, huh? If you tried any of them, they are a compound fracture or worse waiting to happen. Ask Frank (or me) how many broken bones it took to gain a high level of competency...

First things first, proper order:
  1. Learn
  2. Have a scary near-death "Oh, SH!T" experience due to inexperience
  3. Buy the right motorcycle for the job

With me it was like this:

1. Have a nerves-wrecking-scary-near-death "Oh, SH!T" experience due to inexperience and full of sh*t bravado.
  2. Sell wrong motorcycle meant for expert/pro rider and then Buy the right motorcycle for the novice/intermediate level.
  3. Learn, fall, break bones, Learn, fall, break bones, Learn, slide, break pants, Learn, slide, rough pants, Learned.
  4. Buy the right moto for advanced/safe rider with a family to return alive to.

:ninja:

alvaronadalp

Aug 8, 2014
You should get a big, 4-stroke bike if you are planning on doing long trips. I know someone selling a Yamaha V-star 650 in Santo Domingo at a good price.

kts78

Nov 29, 2007
When it comes to getting a bike you mostly need to decide what type of riding you are going to be doing, and then pick the right tool for the job. As a beginner be careful not to get something that is more power than you need (I lose customers permanently every year to this) There is always time for a larger bike after you have some experience.

In the D.R. most of my riding is dirt mountain roads/trails. I use a Honda CRF230l - not overly powerful, but a nimble small bike that is very durable . low maintenance, and gets around 100 mpg. Would not recommend this bike if you want to mostly ride on paved roads

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
When it comes to getting a bike you mostly need to decide what type of riding you are going to be doing, and then pick the right tool for the job. As a beginner be careful not to get something that is more power than you need (I lose customers permanently every year to this) There is always time for a larger bike after you have some experience.

In the D.R. most of my riding is dirt mountain roads/trails. I use a Honda CRF230l - not overly powerful, but a nimble small bike that is very durable . low maintenance, and gets around 100 mpg. Would not recommend this bike if you want to mostly ride on paved roads

You should start with a chicken chaser a 50 cc honda from the 1960's

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
With me it was like this:

1. Have a nerves-wrecking-scary-near-death "Oh, SH!T" experience due to inexperience and full of sh*t bravado.
  2. Sell wrong motorcycle meant for expert/pro rider and then Buy the right motorcycle for the novice/intermediate level.
  3. Learn, fall, break bones, Learn, fall, break bones, Learn, slide, break pants, Learn, slide, rough pants, Learned.
  4. Buy the right moto for advanced/safe rider with a family to return alive to.

:ninja:
More common than you know.

It's difficult to explain to someone that the bike they love is the wrong tool for what they want to do...beyond look cool.

I'm a good rider but no where near the best. I learned the wrong way then had to relearn the right way to ride.

The BEST riders I've come across started at a young age on dirt bikes, gravitated toward sport bikes and then ended up on an ADV bike. The WORST riders I've known had Harley's & giant cruisers; problem is they don't know how bad they are because they've been convinced with peer pressure that "cool" and "lemming"=competent. They aren't.

I recently had a female rider friend have a crash, the typical "he didn't see me" type thing, a left turn into her lane, fortunately at low speed in a parking lot. Bike totaled. She lost teeth, broke some bone in an elbow and has some bad road rash. She thinks she came out OK.

I asked some questions. Turns out she wore a flat-black half-helmet, black jeans, a long-sleeve black t-shirt and her classic Harley didn't have it's lights on.

I explained to her that she'd have kept her toofes if she had worn a full-face helmet, an armored jacket would most likely have prevented her broken elbow and road rash, and riding pants would have prevented road rash. And if she had some hi-vis gear-helmet, jacket-and had her headlights on she might have been seen.

I might as well have been speaking to a space alien. She had no idea what I meant, or she was thinking that no way could she look cool wearing actual protective gear designed specifically to prevent the injuries she received.

Good decisions come from wisdom.
Wisdom comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad decisions.

Last edited:

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
You should get a big, 4-stroke bike if you are planning on doing long trips. I know someone selling a Yamaha V-star 650 in Santo Domingo at a good price.
Not necessary in the DR because there are few places where one actually uses the capabilities of a big 650cc+ machine.

250cc is plenty for any road in the DR except for fast 110kph+ autopista & higher speed 2-up cruising. 400cc would be ideal.

latitude19

May 29, 2011
I bought a Moto!!! A knowledgeable friend pointed me to a 2006 Honda CRF250X for the trail riding I do, and that has proven to be a good bike for me. Have not ridden it much. It is cold and snowy here now in WI, but did get a few rides in on narrow singletrack and wider ski trails. KTS78, I did look at a Honda CRF230F.

Going to DR for XMAS. If I decide not to buy a bike, what about renting?? I'm 2 hrs from Cabarete, 1 hr from Santiago. That would be a great first ride, renting in Santiago. Hmmm.