Fish bait for river fishing

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
What's the best bait to use for river fishing on the NC that can be bought in stores? Someone told me camarines but they seem big to me? Has anyone tried using jigs?

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I used to fish with camarones. Would simply chop them up into smaller pieces and the fishies would love them.

Added on: This was in the ocean. Not sure about fresh water fishies.

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
It is so funny u said that. I used that but it didnt work. Maybe it was the time of day.

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
all the guys I know whom fish the rivers and lakes use earthworms and plastic jigs for bass & corn for tilapia.

although store bought worms here, never seen them.

but RD$100.00 to some enterprising young lad should get you a tin full............

g'luck

Here in the DR, I ain't been to any fresh water that i would eat the live stock out of. Even once near monte plata, the
creek were recreating in, was clean, clear and far from any concentrated civilization, we found clams, clams by the
dozens, we were going to steam'em but got to the point, where hey look where we're at, you know, no way to consume them.

I've lived here finishing up 15 years, no major illness, no major nothing bad, I do not take chances!

Last edited:

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I ve been eating crabs and shrimps that I catch in nearby rivers, for years....... hasnt done me in yet.....

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
I've fished at La Boca but just kept getting crabs eating my bait and as you real them in they just close enough for you to see how big they are and then let go of the line and wave bye bye. Quite frustrating!

munch1961

Apr 21, 2012
The camarones that they are talking about are small fresh water shrimp, usually found in the same river you fish. Go along the edges of the river and slowly turn over large rocks, you will find them they are usually about an 1-1/2 and are almost translucent. Find a dominican youngster tell him you want some camarones para pescar and for a few pesos he will gather you a bunch , it will be worth it as the shrimp are quite fast once you turn the rock over. Good luck i was only able catch a couple of small fish that resembled a white fish

Aug 6, 2006
I assume that one can fish in the rivers and streams and surf in the DR without any permit.

I once stayed with some people in the mountains back behind Imbert and there were a lot of crayfish in the river there.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
who would want to eat a fish that came out of a river here ?

Saw a kid walking down the road with a bunch of carps hanging on a stick....... I pulled over and my wife bought half of his catch for 200 pesos or so......
Not my favorite fish but they tasted ok, like carp actually......:laugh: