Wall Outlet format

C

curious

Hi - I'm going to down to Dominican for a week or so and was wondering whether I can take my laptop with me - concerned whether I'll be able to plug it in. I'm coming from north america - Toronto.

Thanks

H

hillbilly

No problem with that, BUT

You should bring some sort of surge protection that guards against large variations in electrical current (spikes in particular) They can be purchased here fo about $80 US dollars.

HB

D

Dave

HB...isn't a bigger problem about this is....

....how they are going to "hook in" to the internet. Just seems without having an account with codetel you can't do anything (unless you use the phone line to hook in long distance thru the states). I may be wrong here...if I am, I am real interested in hearing what others are doing with their laptops getting into servers within the DR easily...you know...like you do in the U.S. (ha)

Best, Dave

A

Andy B

Re: HB...isn't a bigger problem about this is....

The easiest way to solve this is use the computer/internet hookup at most Codetel offices or go to a cybercafe and use their computer. Your hotel might even allow you to use their comp to check your mail. Check you mail via a webmail program such as mailstart.com or go directly into your site. Unless you need it for business (that can't wait for a week while you're on vacation), leave your laptop at home.

A

a_andy

Good advice ...

One can surf the web for about 30 pesos/hour, at least at Tricom. Even with a slow connection, you should be able to handle your mail and do whatever other surfing you need in no more than 2 hours.

For those on short trips thinking about their own internet provider accounts here, forget it. The "installation" itself requires about a 2-week wait, even if the telephone line is already avilable. Yes, an installation is required. They won't simply give you the tel. number to access, along with user name and password - they send someone out to set up your computer for you.

J

John

wrong , wrong.. andy

well, andy you couldnt be more wrong. Codetel provides you an instalation CD and you can install it by yourself in you computer in just few minutes. even if they send somebody to set up for you, it doesnt take more than 3 days.

J

Jim Hinsch

Re: Internet from laptop in DR - options *PIC*

Yes, you can get an internet connection within minutes without any installation or visit from a customer service rep in the DR, IF you know what you are doing, IF know what questions to ask and what to tell the rep, and IF you have a current phone number by Codetel to which you can bill. Just tell them you know what you are doing and all you need is a user id and password.

Things you need to ask:

User ID.
Password.
Phone Number to call.

Things you need to know to set yourself up but won't need to ask, because here is the answer:

Dial-up Network Settings-
PPP, Enable Software Compression (yes).
Log on to Network (no).
Require encrypted password (no).
Require data encyrption (no).
NetBEUI (no).
IPX/SPX Compatible (no).
TCP/IP (yes) - Server assigned IP address, Name Server Address - Primary 196.3.81.5, Secondary 196.3.81.132, Primary WINS (0.0.0.0), Secondary WINS (0.0.0.0), use IP header compression, Use Default gateway on remote network.
Scripting (none).
Multilink (no).

E-mail POP3: Inbound and Outbound server: Mail.codetel.net.do.
Account name and password is same as user name and password. Server requires authentication.

The internet service needs to be billed to a current phone subscriber, so that will prevent most tourists from getting and using a connection. I'm not aware of any temporary or prepaid service available. Internet cafes are everywhere in tourist areas.

See http://www.codetel.net.do/ofertas/conexion.htm.

With a good calling card (www.bocachicabeach.net/staying_in_touch.html or click on the link below), you can call long-distance to your local provider in the USA at about US$0.26/minute (or US$15.60/hr). For E-mail only, you should be able to get all your POP3 mail in a few minutes using Outlook or Outlook Express (under US$1), read and compose replies off-line, and then connect again to send (under US$1).

Remember, most mail servers will not let you send E-mail unless you are ALSO connected via their ISP at the time you attempt to send the mail. They call this "Relaying". For this reason, I set up to outbound via Hotmail's server from Outlook Express when needed.

I strongly advise bringing along a surge protector that includes phone line protection if you plan to use a laptop in the DR. I've burned out my modem before from phone line current fluctuations and/or spikes.

H

hillbilly

You are right, but he didn't ask about that, heheh

Probably for a visitor,a cyber cafe would be the coolest. they have them all over now. the other suggestions were right on, too.

HB

C

curious

thanks

Hey - thanks for your replies. I'll get a 60 dollar (canadian = 43 or so US) a kit that has surge protection and all that from RadiosHack. I haven't been w/out a computer for more than 2 days for 3 years now :) so I'm panicking :)