information on importing a boat

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
Hi. I want to bring in a boat from florida. Does anyone know if I can do this and the procedure for customs etc.tks

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
DR Person - Dont DO It!! Just visit for limited period.

Olly and the Team

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
Unless you need the boat under Dominican flag because you want to do business with it, I would strongly recommend not to import the boat to DR. I did it once and it was a nightmare.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Catamaran from FL

We imported an almost new catamaran (Hobie Getaway) with trailer from FL late last year.
It can be done... :ermm:

{Due to our plans we will have to sell the boat, it is sitting in our yard and has never been in the water here.}

donP

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"PM",....Mike Fisher" here on DR1.
He has several HUGE boats here.
He runs a charter business.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

A boat is a "Hole In The Water" where you throw all your money!!!!!!!!

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
"PM",....Mike Fisher" here on DR1.
He has several HUGE boats here.
He runs a charter business.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

A boat is a "Hole In The Water" where you throw all your money!!!!!!!!

This is probably the smartest advice ever. Something like don't start a beach bar

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
My father taught me, ...."NEVER have a boat, a beach house, or a swimming pool, just have friends that do!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
I looked into this a few years back and there is no need or advantage in changing the registry to the DR that I could find. The port fees seem to be the same for local or visiting (private use) and they really don't mind how long you keep it here on a foreign flag.
The Marina de Guerra is quite tricky to negotiate but as for customs, I didn't get that far so can't help there.
You would probably need to do a Dominican skippers course to be fully legal, I guess, for a DR boat.