an oberstavtion and a question

B

Becca

greetings to all. i check this board daily, it has helped me keep up on what is going on in the D.R. and also given me a lot of useful information. one thing that i have noticed is all the tourists asking where they can find other tourist that speak the same language and do the same things they do. i do not understand their logic. when going to a different culture why would one not want to be immersed in it? if they wanted to hang with people the same as them, then why not stay where they are? when i go to the D.R. i don't want to be around other americans, i want to be part of the culture there. i guess i just don't understand.

this part has nothing to do with what i wrote but i have a question regarding an institution. i recently sent letters to different language schools in hope for a job when i go down in Aug. i recently recieved an email from one of them. the name of the institution is ICDA (Instituto Cultural Dominico Americano.) i was wondering if anyone had any information on the institute that they would be willing to share. i would like both positive and negative feedback from the establishment. thank you for your help and i can't wait to come down in Jan.
Becca

M

Meredith

I agree with you!! How could you go to the D.R. and not want to meet people and spend time in such an amazing culture! You can party with the same people you party with in a resort back home

P

pepe

When I lived there, over 30 years ago, ICDA was like an extension of the American Embassy. It was situated in a small house at ave. Pateur and used to teach english to the locals. That's where I learned my first few english words with a book about "Don and Betty Hall". Today, I think it has evolved into something bigger, and hopefully some other poster will bring fresher info. It was nice during those times.

E

ECH, M.D.

Becca,
The Dominican American Institute (if it is the one on Lincoln Ave is probably one of the tops in the country. All the students I have met from there are extremely well trained and the location is very nice. ECH

Regarding your other part of the question.....there are always people who go to distant lands and exotic cultures and still go to Mickey D's for a hamburger and fries......go figure.

J

Jim Hinsch

Instituto Cultural Dominico Americano is clean, safe, and one of the best in the city. It is also full of intelligent and good-looking young Dominicans from good families that are serious about studying English.

R

ray

To answer your first question, It's not possible to be in the DR without being immersed in the culture, so that's no problem at all. What's hard is to find some real information spoken in your native tongue that you can readily understand, not to mention the comraderie of others who share similar interests.

My first trip, I spent 2 weeks without seeing an American. It was a refreshing change to chance upon a fellow traveller who was both American, and had been in my hometown, to compare notes with.

C

ChicacagoChris

An Observation

No matter what language, punctuation, capitals and the like are of the utmost importance.

B

Becca

Re: An Observation

I am ever so sorry ChicacagoChris. I will remember that next time I post something.

C

criss colon

come on chicago you must be searching for ssomething to criticise two day what is up wif U you must need a trip to pee pee criss

M

mobrouser

criss, when i read the message last night my thoughts were along the same lines as yours.

however, if one is applying for a job at a language school, should it not be expected that spelling, etc. be of great importance in any correspondence one undertakes?

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

Re: Was it spelling or keyboard sloppiness?

First we should find out if she was just sloppy with her typing or if she really doesn't know how to spell observation? In fact, the way she typed that reminded me of Maria Obvernasov or Maria Obversation something like that..remember that Russian posting girl that could not write or spell in English? Where is she by the way?
TW

C

criss colon

i think it is just a style becca uses to type faster on the internet.using lower case and little if any punctuation. like my cousin who puts circles over her i,s and smiley faces in her o,s.i cant spell and have to proof all my posts to reduce the amount of flak i recieve.criss

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

Re: I just remember the mad Russian!?

I just remember the mad Russian that reminded me of the spelling gaffe. MARIA OBERSTNASOV...remember her. Doesn't her name sound like obverstation or whatever way obvservation was spelled? OH my god, que trabalengua!!!!
TW

T

Theresa

Re: I just remember the mad Russian!?

actually she was a dominican woman who married a polish guy and moved to nueba yol :)

B

Becca

Thank you to all

Thank you to the ones who were able to give me the information I was looking for. I am sorry about the misspelled word, it is an honest mistake. My brain goes faster then my fingers.
I have another observation, when someone post on here, it seems that the post ends up going in a completely different direction then what the poster intended it.
I would still like to hear more about the english institute. By the way, i could care less if there were good looking Dominicans at that institute, that is not why I am going.
Becca

H

hillbilly

Hey Becca

'Becca, I have corrected, in part, you last posting. The grammar was a little off. Spelling was fine, however. Sentence structure was the worst failing. You will need to work on that. You might want to look up a classic text: Ralph Long's "the Sentence and It's Parts.

THIS IS A JOKE!! but read it anyway....

"Thank you to the ones who were able to give me the information I was looking (for)[Dangling preposition]. I am sorry about the misspelled word, it (is)[Actually, it was) an honest mistake. My brain goes faster then my fingers. [me, too, all the time!]
I have another observation(,)[Should be :] (w)[W]hen someone post on here, it seems that the post ends up going in a completely different direction (then) ['from' would be better] what the poster intended it.[Poor sentence construction-as my old teacher would say]
I would still like to hear more about the (english institute) [At least you should say "English Institute"]. By the way, i[I!] could care less if there were good looking Dominicans at that institute, that is not why I am going. "
Becca

Now Rebecca: If you can get a job at the ICDA (Instituto Cultural Dominico-Americano) you will have a good start.
Everything they said about it is true. A long, long, time ago, I taught at the one in Santiago. I made some life-long friends, learned a bit and have no regrets.

Your observation of the deviation from the original threads is so very accurate. I sometimes wonder if the later posters even read the original post!

Please do not sweat the 'finger errors' in your posts. It is the Internet, fer crying out loud! tha's what makes it so kuel.

HB

A

AnaBanana

Pero que malo!

P

Pib

Yikes!

I do not want to see you do "da correcting thang" to my posts. Gee, I guess you literally roll on the floor laughing when you see mine.