Aristide prevented from leaving Haiti

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Jean Bertrand Aristide prevented from leaving Haiti

AUGUST 7, 2014

PORT AU PRINCE, Haiti, Thursday August 7, 2014, CMC ? Former president Jean Bertrand Aristide is being prohibited from leaving Haiti as law enforcement authorities probe allegations of corruption, misappropriation of public funds and drug trafficking during his 2001-4 presidency, immigration officials have confirmed.

Aristide and several of his former colleagues have been accused of embezzling hundreds of millions of dollars from the State through his organisation, Aristide for Democracy Foundation and other organisations.

His colleagues including Mirlande Liberus, Yvon Neptune, Jean Nesty Lucien and Gustave Faubert, have also been banned from leaving the country, according to a ruling issued by investigating judge, Lamarre Belizaire.

Judicial said they are expected to appear before the judge over the coming weeks and that a list containing the names of 31 people, including Aristide, had been sent to the Immigration authorities.

The Port au prince-based Haitian Caribbean News Network (HCNN) reported Wednesday that Judge Belizaire had refused to comment on the case for ?legal and ethical reasons?.

Aristide has not commented on the ban and his political party has also not issued any statement on the issue.

The case against Aristide and his allies were initiated in 2005.

The Michel Martelly administration has enacted new and strong anti-corruption legislation providing for greater punitive measures against those in public offices convicted of corrupt practices.

Jean Bertrand Aristide prevented from leaving Haiti : Caribbean360

Aug 6, 2006
If Aristide is guilty of anything, it seems that the wheels of justice attempting to convict him grind exceedingly slow.

The old Haitian tradition was for ex-Messieur le Presidents to thieve and rob until a vast fortune was attained, then to abscond to France or Switzerland, where, for a fee, they would be accepted as proper Frenchmen or Swiss. Baby Doc's elite wife Michelle changed all that by grabbing most of the loot and going it alone. I have not heard of her recently, but I doubt she is all that forlorn.

I wonder why Aristide would be a bigger threat out of Haiti than inside the country. There seem to be many subtleties in Haitian politics.

Aug 6, 2006
Duvalier returned to Haiti. He had divorced his wife. She lives in France. Mich?le Bennett - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I know, Michelle took the pathetic SOB for every gourde he had.

Michelle was something else. She set a new trend for elitist assholery when she had a ballroom in the National Palace chilled to icy cold so she and her posse could show off their furs without sweating. God save us all from women like Michelle.

Feb 15, 2005
I know, Michelle took the pathetic SOB for every gourde he had.

Michelle was something else. She set a new trend for elitist assholery when she had a ballroom in the National Palace chilled to icy cold so she and her posse could show off their furs without sweating. God save us all from women like Michelle.

Wow, I never knew that.
Unbelievable what the elitist of our worlds, from the grand old Popes of yesteryear to this.