Suggestions From DR1ers

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
My wife and I would like to head up to the POP/Sosua/Cabarete area this coming weekend. We don't know much about that area since we live in Santiago.

What are good places to go for food and drinks? We're in our late 20's/early 30's so anything is game, don't want the typical Dominican bar though.

We don't have a vehicle so suggestions in walking distance of each other would be great :)

Also, what's a good place to stay for the night? We're hoping to stay from Saturday night to Sunday morning.

Thanks! Looking forward to your suggestions ;)

texan

Apr 1, 2014
If you don't have a car you will have to pick one area unless you take a taxi or some form of transportation. I like Sosua beach during the day. I like Cabarete better at night. The bars in Cabarete are on the beach and open at night. Sosua beach closes at night at the bars are in the town. You can walk from bar to bar in Cabarete on the beach. When you walk the beach on Cabarete you will see the places and the crowds.

I am in Puerto Plata but I think you would enjoy the others better.

I agree with Texan, I MUCH prefer Cabarete at night, especially since you are Young! Sosua Beach is nice enough but since you are only in town for 1 night I would just do Cabarete.
I like Kahunas, love Mojitos drinks, Like Voy Voy, LAX, Onno's for food. You will find the right party place to go to, just go to wherever is busy.
I am horrible with names of places so I don't remember other places. No idea about where to stay, sorry!

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
@texan We're debating between renting a car or having taxis shuffle us around. Cabarete sounds very nice and more of what we'd like to do. Thanks for the help!

@Harley My wife loves mojitos so if you know a place with a good one we'll have to check it out. Are those places in Cabarete (Voy Voy, LAX, Onno's)?

SugarMorena

Mar 24, 2013
IMHO is better to stay in Cabarete and if you don't like the beach. Take a 40 min drive to Playa Caleton in Rio San juan for the day. For drinks Jose O'shays seems to always have customers drinking and having a good time there. Wish I could help more, but every time I'm in Cabarete I just lay in a chaise lounge and relax right by LCP.

BarAndGrillGuy

Jul 23, 2014
IMHO is better to stay in Cabarete and if you don't like the beach. Take a 40 min drive to Playa Caleton in Rio San juan for the day. For drinks Jose O'shays seems to always have customers drinking and having a good time there. Wish I could help more, but every time I'm in Cabarete I just lay in a chaise lounge and relax right by LCP.

Hi there......A couple of things...

Jose O Shays..WAY expensive and they load the 28% "Taxes" on top....!!!

LAX ....food happy hour from noon to 2pm and 6pm to 8 pm and the food is decent....BEST food happy hours !

KAHUNAS....start a happy hour at 3pm with cuba libres and santo libres at 2 for 1...Decent daily food specials too.

LAZY DOG....has a good happy hour for drinks from 4 pm to 6pm and from 10pm onward as well..appys 2 for 1 and cheap drinks after 10pm

MOJITO BAR......a good happy hour from 4pm to 8pm..Best Cuba libres and santo libres in BIG glasses and a great pour of rum....2 for 1

Cheers and Enjoy.......

W...........

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Yes, all the above mentioned places are on Cabarete beach and all practically next to each other. Just wander around and enjoy the atmosphere!

For a hotel, the Allegria is pretty well recommended if they have a room and again it's within walking distance.

@texan We're debating between renting a car or having taxis shuffle us around. Cabarete sounds very nice and more of what we'd like to do. Thanks for the help!

@Harley My wife loves mojitos so if you know a place with a good one we'll have to check it out. Are those places in Cabarete (Voy Voy, LAX, Onno's)?

Yes they are all in Cabarete.
I don't like Mojitos but I love the lime daiquiris at Mojitos, I always get my drinks to go from there. I have heard that they do the best Mojitos in Cabarete as well at Mojitos.

Have a great time :)

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
Wow! Thanks for all the great suggestions, I'm think it's a conclusion we need to go to Cabarete. :)

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
Be sure to come back and let us know how it goes!!

Sure will! Now we've got to settle with a rent-a-car and hotel. Looking online for rent-a-cars I've found from Saturday 8AM-Sunday 6PM is about $55 without insurance ($11/day more with insurance) picking up and dropping off at Santiago's airport.

texan

Apr 1, 2014
Sure will! Now we've got to settle with a rent-a-car and hotel. Looking online for rent-a-cars I've found from Saturday 8AM-Sunday 6PM is about $55 without insurance ($11/day more with insurance) picking up and dropping off at Santiago's airport.

If you are going to have a car then you have more options. You could check out the Malecon in Puerto Plata before making it to Cabarete. You can drive up and down the malecon and see if there is a place you want to stop and have a drink and or eat. There are some places on the ocean side. Sosua beach is nice during the day. There are different places to park so it could be a little confusing. You seem some people park off the main road and you walk down to Sosua beach. There are people there that will guide you were to park, watch your car and of course want a tip.

On Sosua beach if you eat and drink somewhere they will give you a chair, table and umbrella for free. If not they will charge for the chair, table and umbrella. I would ask how much it cost and if it is free with a meal and or drink or not.

There are some rocks in Sosua beach so if you get in the water be careful or wear some of those aqua shoes. But I think you will like Cabarete.

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
Everyone's suggestions have made this soooooo much easier :)

We're going to stay at Hotel Alegria most likely, they've got a great rate, many positive reviews, and free wi-fi.

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
Thank you everyone!

Trip success.

We left Santiago on Friday evening and arrived in Cabarete about 8PM. We set up shop at Hotel Alegria and went out to town. We walked around a bit and decided on Kahuna, they had live music and we love live music. Got some drinks and ordered some food, about 5 minutes later the band packed up :( I guess they only play until 10PM on Fridays.

Saturday we went out to the beach and boy is it beautiful there. My wife got a massage from one of the ladies who gives massages, I think it was RD$1,000 for the service of an hour. After a few hours we changed at the hotel and went to Lazy Dog for some late lunch. My wife had steak which was tender and very flavorful. I had jerk chicken which also had nice flavor. The plates looked a bit boring when they brought them out but don't let that fool you. The food isn't over seasoned and does not disappoint your taste buds.

Saturday night we walked around debating on where to eat and have drinks. There is a good choice all on the beach but we decided on Kahuna again. We liked the atmosphere, prices were right, they had nice drink specials, and the waiter we had was EXCELLENT!

It rained a bit Saturday so the planned event on the roof of Kahuna was moved downstairs. It was PACKED! Compared to Friday night, Saturday seemed like everyone on the beach was trying to get into Kahuna and we were smack dab in the middle of all the action. We ordered the Seafood Platter with an appetizer which was plenty enough to feed the both of us.

Good music, great atmosphere, nice drinks and specials. We really liked Kahuna from our experience.

Thanks for all the tips, it would have been much more difficult without them!