lazy assholes

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Give him a break "dv"!!!!!!!
He was busy counting the stolen money coming into his office the rest of the time!
Can't be easy!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Those bums are in politics to steal everything they can. There is no idea of public service, its for personal gain. Sad state of affairs when the country is in such desperate need. Population is illiterate. When is the last time you saw a Dominican with a book? Cannot believe anything that the government produces in the way of numbers or statistics. Love the country, dislike the government and do not expect much. I am amazed that the general population pays attention or has any enthusiasm for politics. Wife went all the way across the country a few years ago to vote. Now she knows better. The DR will limp along as it has and there will be few changes until they become computerized. At that point we will see some changes. Better or worse who knows. I work at not being annoyed and disgusted by the situation.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Those bums are in politics to steal everything they can. There is no idea of public service, its for personal gain. Sad state of affairs when the country is in such desperate need. Population is illiterate. When is the last time you saw a Dominican with a book? Cannot believe anything that the government produces in the way of numbers or statistics. Love the country, dislike the government and do not expect much. I am amazed that the general population pays attention or has any enthusiasm for politics. Wife went all the way across the country a few years ago to vote. Now she knows better. The DR will limp along as it has and there will be few changes until they become computerized. At that point we will see some changes. Better or worse who knows. I work at not being annoyed and disgusted by the situation.

zoom, you have the right attitude. expect nothing, and you will not be disappointed. also, do not expect anything to change. it will not. it cannot.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
An old time DR politico died about 15 years ago.
They said in the newspapers that he was one of the very few honest politicians here.
They said they could tell because he died POOR!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
Not a surprising news article - probably the time spent doing work is high!!!

I am interested to try to understand better why the average dominican who is suffering does not revolt against this type of behaviour as this is not new but seems to repeat itself with new characters every 4 years - please enlighten me on why this continues....I know keep them dumb and happy but it seems they are less happy each year so when will this cycle change???? tom

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I am interested to try to understand better why the average dominican who is suffering does not revolt against this type of behaviour as this is not new but seems to repeat itself with new characters every 4 years - please enlighten me on why this continues....I know keep them dumb and happy but it seems they are less happy each year so when will this cycle change???? tom

just look at post #3 about a lady who used to vote and now she does not anymore. people have lost the confidence in the power of their own voice. it does not help that this voice can be bought and sold. come election time and the votes are decided by the number of chickens and salamis given away. check matilda's book to learn about the really dirty side of dominican politics.

so yeah, people grow disheartened. they don't believe in change. and some, when push comes to shove, will always choose a full belly over ideals. any revolution in DR will be thwarted by free chikins. after all the public hates bautista, just read comments under any article about him. yet he gets the votes...

Britcouple

Aug 13, 2009
just look at post #3 about a lady who used to vote and now she does not anymore. people have lost the confidence in the power of their own voice. it does not help that this voice can be bought and sold. come election time and the votes are decided by the number of chickens and salamis given away. check matilda's book to learn about the really dirty side of dominican politics.

so yeah, people grow disheartened. they don't believe in change. and some, when push comes to shove, will always choose a full belly over ideals. any revolution in DR will be thwarted by free chikins. after all the public hates bautista, just read comments under any article about him. yet he gets the votes...

I know you are right DV8... but i can't work out why they don't just take the chickens/salami and then say 'up yours' and vote for someone who 'might' do some good :confused:

Mountaintrout

Feb 9, 2013

Sounds just like the U.S.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I know you are right DV8... but i can't work out why they don't just take the chickens/salami and then say 'up yours' and vote for someone who 'might' do some good :confused:

it is not that easy. let us say some guys are going to vote for the PRD. some PLD guys give them some rum and a few pesos, not to buy their vote, but to ensure that they dont vote for their guy. when they accept the goodies, they have to turn over their cedula until after the election. ergo, they cannot vote.

Aug 6, 2006
What else would anyone anywhere go into politics for?

================================================
That is a very cynical attitude, and perhaps it may have been true the Middle Ages, it implies that nothing any government, anywhere has ever done has ever been done for altruistic motives has succeeded in improving the society governed by politicians of any type, however they attained their offices, ever.

No country has ever has a totally perfect government, but there have certainly been governments that have improved the lot of most of the people.

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
================================================
That is a very cynical attitude, and perhaps it may have been true the Middle Ages, it implies that nothing any government, anywhere has ever done has ever been done for altruistic motives has succeeded in improving the society governed by politicians of any type, however they attained their offices, ever.

No country has ever has a totally perfect government, but there have certainly been governments that have improved the lot of most of the people.
Unfortunately, the D.R. is not one of them.

Aug 6, 2006
Unfortunately, the D.R. is not one of them.

Okay, so the DR today is not as great a place as it would have been had they not gotten rid of the Trujillo Dynasty?

I deem that shooting Trujillo was an act that was highly political and eventually resulted in positive change. Was Juan Bosch motivated entirely by greed and corruption?

I agree that there is way too much corruption in the DR today. But is is not Nigeria. It is not Haiti. It is not Guinea-Bissau.

I make no claims to being an expert on DR politics, but I have been visiting the DR since 1978 and things have definitely improved. It is obvious that with better government they would have improved even more. In 36 years, I have never been hit up for a bribe. When I lived in Mexico in the 1960's, it was a very frequent occurrence, and I was just a foreign student, just trying to learn and get by.

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
Okay, so the DR today is not as great a place as it would have been had they not gotten rid of the Trujillo Dynasty?

Way before my time here....

My opinions are based on life since I came here.

I have many friends from the poor side of the D.R.
Spend time in the campos, see what they have to live on.
Like buying maybe a pound of chicken and some rice to feed a family of four their one meal for the day.

I know first hand that some of the people, including the children, in places like Villa Bau are starving, eating at best once a day. They are the lucky ones, some aren't that lucky. The simple thing like water, is turned on for a few hours maybe once or twice in 2-3 months. Some can't afford a tinaco to store it, and maybe have a barrel. Even then, hard to store 2-3 months supply of water. The water trucks deliver at 1 peso a gallon. Does not seem like much, but do the math. Could there be a connection of "no water" and the business of the water trucks? You see them all the time out there, someone is making money. Meanwhile the poliicos are enjoying a life of luxury.

The people being hungry is not limited to the campos, I see them going door to door in some places in the city begging for something to eat. Most of us ex-pats never see these things because it's not part of our daily way of living here, but it is there, most will never realize what's under their noses.

Aug 6, 2006
Way before my time here....

My opinions are based on life since I came here.

I have many friends from the poor side of the D.R.
Spend time in the campos, see what they have to live on.
Like buying maybe a pound of chicken and some rice to feed a family of four their one meal for the day.

I know first hand that some of the people, including the children, in places like Villa Bau are starving, eating at best once a day. They are the lucky ones, some aren't that lucky. The simple thing like water, is turned on for a few hours maybe once or twice in 2-3 months. Some can't afford a tinaco to store it, and maybe have a barrel. Even then, hard to store 2-3 months supply of water. The water trucks deliver at 1 peso a gallon. Does not seem like much, but do the math. Could there be a connection of "no water" and the business of the water trucks? You see them all the time out there, someone is making money. Meanwhile the poliicos are enjoying a life of luxury.

The people being hungry is not limited to the campos, I see them going door to door in some places in the city begging for something to eat. Most of us ex-pats never see these things because it's not part of our daily way of living here, but it is there, most will never realize what's under their noses.
========================================================
Where I stay in Barahona I see poverty as you describe all the time. My house there is the only one with a tinaco, others get by with passing a garden hose around from one house to another, and toting water in buckets for as long as the free public water exists, usually from 7 to 11 AM.

Electricity is sporadic and no one pays for it. The main occupations seem to be motoconching and buying food crops like gandules and peddling them at the local market and in a beat up pickup truck. selling gandules, tomatoes, avocados, bananas, plaintains, yuca and stuff driving around. Every morning, a kid comes by and sells me aguacates for 20 pesos each. Lucky for him I love aguacates. The people I know do not go hungry, but they mostly eat rice and gandules, accompanied with pieces of scrawny chicken and bits of beef gristle cooked far too long in tomato sauce.

When several people (and any are too many) have the price of some Brugal, they get drunk, and start fighting with their wives and children over stupid fits of jealousy. Inlaws defend the daughters, mothers defend the sons, and no one makes any sense. Every other word is "co?o". They throw rocks and bottles and it is wise to go home and lock the door. When the fighting goes on for too long, some neighbor shows his displeasure by lobbing large rocks at the roofs of the offenders, but they have poor aim, and often hit the wrong roofs. Little damage is done and nothing seems to be harmed, but the next morning there are a lot of hungover people picking up bottles and misplaced rocks or even worse, not picking them up.

If I were elected a leader in Barahona, I would have no idea whatever how to improve these people's lives. The scenery around Barahona is beautiful, but the beaches are mostly rocky rather than sandy and the ocean is rough rather than calm as it is on the NC or places like Las Terrenas or Juan Dolio, so I do not see tourism as the way to improve life for the Barahoneros.

Agriculture is the mainstay of the economy, with sugarcane cut out in the fields delivered by train to the Ingenio that employs about 6000 of the population of around 70,000.

Two years ago, they revitalized the Malecon. Now they have put up a wall of zinc roofing around the Parque Central and are planning to redo it. They seem to be planning to do this very slowly, as I have seen no one working there.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
========================================================
Where I stay in Barahona I see poverty as you describe all the time. My house there is the only one with a tinaco, others get by with passing a garden hose around from one house to another, and toting water in buckets for as long as the free public water exists, usually from 7 to 11 AM.

Electricity is sporadic and no one pays for it. The main occupations seem to be motoconching and buying food crops like gandules and peddling them at the local market and in a beat up pickup truck. selling gandules, tomatoes, avocados, bananas, plaintains, yuca and stuff driving around. Every morning, a kid comes by and sells me aguacates for 20 pesos each. Lucky for him I love aguacates. The people I know do not go hungry, but they mostly eat rice and gandules, accompanied with pieces of scrawny chicken and bits of beef gristle cooked far too long in tomato sauce.

When several people (and any are too many) have the price of some Brugal, they get drunk, and start fighting with their wives and children over stupid fits of jealousy. Inlaws defend the daughters, mothers defend the sons, and no one makes any sense. Every other word is "co?o". They throw rocks and bottles and it is wise to go home and lock the door. When the fighting goes on for too long, some neighbor shows his displeasure by lobbing large rocks at the roofs of the offenders, but they have poor aim, and often hit the wrong roofs. Little damage is done and nothing seems to be harmed, but the next morning there are a lot of hungover people picking up bottles and misplaced rocks or even worse, not picking them up.

If I were elected a leader in Barahona, I would have no idea whatever how to improve these people's lives. The scenery around Barahona is beautiful, but the beaches are mostly rocky rather than sandy and the ocean is rough rather than calm as it is on the NC or places like Las Terrenas or Juan Dolio, so I do not see tourism as the way to improve life for the Barahoneros.

Agriculture is the mainstay of the economy, with sugarcane cut out in the fields delivered by train to the Ingenio that employs about 6000 of the population of around 70,000.

Two years ago, they revitalized the Malecon. Now they have put up a wall of zinc roofing around the Parque Central and are planning to redo it. They seem to be planning to do this very slowly, as I have seen no one working there.

aww, don't be so negative, XO. foreigners will tell you that these people have nothing, but they are HAPPY.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
If I were elected a leader in Barahona, I would have no idea whatever how to improve these people's lives.

there is no easy way to improve their lives. if you did try to pull them out of the poverty they'd be pi**ed because they'd have to pay for the water and power and pay income tax and pay itbis on the items they sell/buy.

May 12, 2005

Get involved with this group if you want a new direction and better future for the DR.

Under construction

Also check out their Facebook page

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Gorgon, one of the BEST things about being a "MOD" here on DR1 is that we don't have to explain our actions,.....OR "Explain Them" either!!!!
"Second Guessing" us doesn't work!
If you want to complain, "PM" Robert.
Luckily for SOME Posters, we don't delete, for "STUPID"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC