Should I take a job at Punta Cana International School?(sure sounds good)

Meghan Stepnowski

Aug 10, 2014
So I am considering a job at PCIS but wondering about teacher accommodations. What does the housing look like, as well as lifestyle? What can we do about transportation, shopping outside of the gated community ect. Most importantly outside of work, how far away are we from the ocean. I am an ocean lover who is hoping to have my professional career close to my passion for water. I am a yoga teacher, surfer, and paddle boarder and feel that career is just one piece of a full life. Are there opportunities to connect with students and families outside of the resort area? Are there any current teachers who can provide pictures and or information. I would love to hear more.
I took a job a few years back in Africa and while the school and my students were amazing, the day to day living was not a great match for me, so that is why I am going straight to a conversation life outside of school. I have no doubt the students are wonderful!!!!
Needless to say, I have lots of questions, wire transfer, cell phone and international accessibility, work conditions. Any and all information is appreciated. I am elated but, want to dig deeper before I start going bananas with excitement !!! If anyone does not mind answering questions your ears and knowledge would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks so much,
Attentamente:
Meghan

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
It all comes down to one question, do you make enough money to be able to live as you wish?
Otherwise, Punta Cana offers everything you wish...

texan

Apr 1, 2014
So I am considering a job at PCIS but wondering about teacher accommodations. What does the housing look like, as well as lifestyle? What can we do about transportation, shopping outside of the gated community ect. Most importantly outside of work, how far away are we from the ocean. I am an ocean lover who is hoping to have my professional career close to my passion for water. I am a yoga teacher, surfer, and paddle boarder and feel that career is just one piece of a full life. Are there opportunities to connect with students and families outside of the resort area? Are there any current teachers who can provide pictures and or information. I would love to hear more.
I took a job a few years back in Africa and while the school and my students were amazing, the day to day living was not a great match for me, so that is why I am going straight to a conversation life outside of school. I have no doubt the students are wonderful!!!!
Needless to say, I have lots of questions, wire transfer, cell phone and international accessibility, work conditions. Any and all information is appreciated. I am elated but, want to dig deeper before I start going bananas with excitement !!! If anyone does not mind answering questions your ears and knowledge would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks so much,
Attentamente:
Meghan

Cell phone is easy. Bring an unlocked phone and put in a sim card from a local company here. Decide if you want a basic phone or a smart phone. A smart phone is nice. You can prepay minutes and data plan or sign up for a plan. A smart phone makes it much easier to stay in touch with people.

Punta Cana is more of a resort town with a lot of all inclusives resorts, golf courses, etc. There are people that live there that can tell you a lot more information about being a local in Punta Cana. You can use Western Union or another service to send money and it is pretty easy. You can use an ATM here but the fees are pretty high. Make sure you have a credit card that doesn't charge currency exchange fees.

If you want to stay in touch all the time I would have a data plan on the phone and use Facebook, viber, Skype, email, etc. Unless you get some great deal I wouldn't use an international plan. I would want a car personally but maybe someone else can advise you on what it would be like without a car.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
As mentioned, it really comes down to how much money you will make and how much your lifestyle will cost here. I do not think there is good surfing there, but I could be wrong. The north coast has the best water sports with surfing and kite surfing and wind surfing. I normally don't recommend that anyone come here if they need a job, but your situation might be different if you can earn enough money teaching.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Very little surf. Good for paddle boarding. Some fair snorkeling and diving. You will not get paid enough to buy a car so its public transport. Public transport will take chickens but doubt they will allow paddle boards. You need to find a peson who has experience teaching in that school. Private schools here are a business. Its about making money and paying you as little as possible. (generalization and not totally true of all but most). It sounds like you are going on a great adventure with little beforehand knowledge of just what you are getting into. Be careful. Check DR1 archives for info on that particular school. Good luck

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I'm a Punta Cana Village resident with a child in the school, so I can answer some of your questions:

So I am considering a job at PCIS but wondering about teacher accommodations. What does the housing look like, as well as lifestyle?
- One-bedroom apartments, modern but basic, a few seconds' walk from the school. The main downside is that you have to buy your own furniture and appliances.
What can we do about transportation, shopping outside of the gated community ect.
- Public transport in the PC-Bavaro area is functional but not that great. There is a bus service but taxis are exorbitant. There is a free shuttle bus to the resort's beach area, but it is also accessible by bicycle (4km to Playa Blanca). A bicycle is great for getting round the village. It's not ideal to live here without a car. Some teachers club together and hire one for weekend sightseeing and/or shopping trips.
Most importantly outside of work, how far away are we from the ocean. I am an ocean lover who is hoping to have my professional career close to my passion for water. I am a yoga teacher, surfer, and paddle boarder and feel that career is just one piece of a full life.
- As mentioned above, the nearest beach - Playa Blanca - is 4km from PC Village - a walkable and cycleable distance. It is a kitesurfing, windsurfing and SUP beach. One of the DR's main surfing beaches, the spectacular Macao, is a 20-minute drive away.
Are there opportunities to connect with students and families outside of the resort area?
- The student body is diverse, some are children of hotel employees but also of the general Dominican and expat population in the area, so yes. There are opportunities for voluntary work with local schools and community clinics in the poorer areas like Veron and Hoyo de Friusa, animal welfare charities like Rescatame and the Punta Cana Foundation.

Meghan Stepnowski

Aug 10, 2014
As mentioned, it really comes down to how much money you will make and how much your lifestyle will cost here. I do not think there is good surfing there, but I could be wrong. The north coast has the best water sports with surfing and kite surfing and wind surfing. I normally don't recommend that anyone come here if they need a job, but your situation might be different if you can earn enough money teaching.

Hmm.. so in your opinion you can only live in Punta Cana if you are independently wealthy?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You can basically live any way you want here. Don't have to be wealthy, just live where the locals live and eat local food. Then you can live for a lot less. Main problem is transportation.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Hmm.. so in your opinion you can only live in Punta Cana if you are independently wealthy?

I don't recommend people to move to the DR if they need to work unless that work in on the Internet. The pay rates are generally not good enough to have a decent life style. Your situation might be different but I don't think we know enough of your details regarding that. The DR is a place to retire to, not to find work in, generally speaking.

It seems you will be far enough away from surf spots for it to be inconvenient to get to them on your free time.

texan

Apr 1, 2014

I don't think it is being independently wealthy. But another source of income is what most people have here either from a pension, social security, investments. It can be done but is hard to come here and support yourself with only money that you make here. But of course a lot of it depends on what you want to do with your free time.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I don't recommend people to move to the DR if they need to work unless that work in on the Internet. The pay rates are generally not good enough to have a decent life style. Your situation might be different but I don't think we know enough of your details regarding that. The DR is a place to retire to, not to find work in, generally speaking.
Fair point - the PC area is relatively expensive to live in, and teachers' salaries are not very high. Some teachers supplement their income with after-school tutoring. It would be good to hear from some of our members who have worked at PCIS, like mxcutie.

It seems you will be far enough away from surf spots for it to be inconvenient to get to them on your free time.
Macao is 20 minutes away by car.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Is your housing provided at no cost to you????
Now, the real question is "How much are you to be paid per month ?????????????????
Without that KEY information it's difficult to say if you will be comfortable in "PC".
Do they pay your air fair????
Do you get a "Double Month's Salary" at Christmas time?
Who pays for your medical insurance???
Cris Colon's "No Spin Zone"
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Meghan Stepnowski

Aug 10, 2014
yes, here is the purposed salary, does not look like enough

Fair point - the PC area is relatively expensive to live in, and teachers' salaries are not very high. Some teachers supplement their income with after-school tutoring. It would be good to hear from some of our members who have worked at PCIS, like mxcutie.Macao is 20 minutes away by car.

$51,765..looks like that is close to 1180 dollars, that is really very, very low. How much does one need per month to live?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Housing is provided, so is health insurance. Not sure about utilities.
That salary is a bit tight for PC but for one young person with a no-frills lifestyle it should not be impossible. As I said, there are ways of supplementing income with tutoring.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
$51,765 This is the monthly salary I was sent today. This looks like its not going to work...What do you think

I do not understand your monthly income, please define in human money!

Lived a a teacher, progressed, owned a bar, went back to teaching, saved a horse and made nothing but love al my old buddies in Bav-aro-ro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just tell me what is your monthly pension ans I'll tell you if you can do it!.