Physical Therapist

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Is there any physical Therapy in POP? If so do you know what is the cost?

There is IRO, which is not far from Bournigal. When I needed PT earlier this year, they accepted my insurance. I asked what the cost/'session would have been without Universal and was told 1000 pesos.

Their information is on their facebook page.

https://es-es.facebook.com/irorehabilitacion1

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Highly recommend Gabriela Christ at Residencial Hispaniola. They use a combination of Asian techniques for pain relief. The work with the water sports crowd of Cabarete. Just go up from the hill where the Police is and locate Residencial Hispaniola, about 1 km up to the eastern side of the road. She has a small house. Tel 809 710 5649

Here she posts about her practice on an old dr1 thread:

http://dr1.com/forums/north-coast/95323-acupuncturist-sosua.html

artistdani

Mar 13, 2012
I have used IRO last fall and was very happy with their work. They went back to basics and really helped my back, more than they had done in Canada. Not a fancy place but effective. The place next door has fresh fruit juice without a ton of sugar.

BostonMary

May 18, 2002
I broke my shoulder in 5places and need therapy to rehabilitate my shoulder. I had surgery in Boston but was hoping to get my therapy in POP. Will IRO be able to help me?

artistdani

Mar 13, 2012
BostonMary, you may want to call them and speak with them. I did not meet anyone who spoke English there.

I know they have ultrasound machine, ice packs, hot pads, massager. I noticed they had a big ship wheel on the wall, presumably for exercising the shoulder. I also saw a step machine, 2 bikes, elliptical machine - can't remember what else.

When I had knee replacements in Canada, I went through 10 weeks of intensive physio and went to the DR with a list of specific exercises that I could do anywhere. I have my own elastic bands for exercise and after 10 weeks I knew exactly what to watch for and how to do the exercises perfectly. The problem I ran into was that my back was thrown out by walking crooked for so long that it reacted badly after each knee replacement. Nobody could help my back in Canada: massage therapist, physio, osteopath, GP. It looked like I had 3 cm difference in leg length. When my back seized up totally, I went to the clinic in POP (!) who eventually sent me to IRO. IRO took a look at me, decided it was not a question of leg length but of muscle spasm! They went back to basics i.e. ice packs, heat pad, ultrasound, massage and some analgesic cream that is really effective. So in my case they used common sense and did what all the professionals that I saw in Canada forgot to do. After 2 weeks I could walk, another week later i could walk straight.
Can they help you? I dont know. They sure helped me.

The rooms are small, I did not see high tech equipment, bed sheets have rips in them sometimes. It is crowded so I would get there very early in the morning - at whatever time they open to beat the crowds. They also offer reflexology, regular massages, some aesthetic services like facials.

I hope it helps.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Artistdani, I had physical therapy for what was diagnosed as a rotator cuff injury. It was actually a fracture of the proximal humerus at the shoulder joint. The PT helped enormously with the pain. My US orthopedist diagnosed the fracture from X - rays last week.

It healed properly with no diminution of range of motion. I think that the PT was part of the good outcome.

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
Is there any physical Therapy in POP? If so do you know what is the cost?

The Rehabilitation Center at the Hospital in POP. You would be surprised what they offer, absolutely clean, A/C
It got renovated no long ago....
With insurance you pay 100 pesos without 400 pesos. Before commenting just go there to see yourself.
All the Best for recovery

Meems

May 1, 2013
Great clinic in Sosua, Centro Rehabilitacion on Camino Llibre, just past Funeraria Blas Blas and Tropix Hotel.

morganstern

Jun 4, 2014
The clinic Bournigal sent me to IRO for my physical therapy. It involved hot and cold packs to my back. This is NOT a B.S. place by any means. The therapies may or may not work for you....but my Orthopedic DR at Bournigal had me go there after he was through with me.