Two old Pics from Sosua, 1993

May 29, 2006
From my first trip to Sosua. The paintings are long gone from when they built the storefronts on the approach to the beach. Now you can buy blow up pool aligators..

10606603_10204104020978291_1944224846009320181_n.jpg

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Sooooooooooo MUCH Haitian "TALENT"!
They are the Dominican version of the Mexican paintings on black velvet of, "Elvis",..."JFK",....and "Martin Luther King"!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

May 29, 2006
I got lost once in POP and found the street where the paintings are made. They had a stencil process for the outlines and then an assembly line for filling in the different colors. I still miss the wall and it does beat the blow up alligator for a souvenir.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
That was a long time ago, before Sosua Bay was built. I'm sure cccccccc has plenty of blow up dolls from back then Peter.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
bought an oil in the church square in santiago...always moves me young 30 yr old thin artist...always wanted to see him again and slip him some paint money...it was of two stallions running side by side ...i did not bargain with him and gave him what he asked for it...i thought it was a low price....under a hundred u.s.

May 29, 2006
It would be on your left leaving the beach towards El Batey. They tore down the wall when they built Sosua Bay so they could put in storefronts with AC(but no electric??). They were all empty the last time I was in Sosua in 2004, though the ratty casitas on the other side of the street seemed to be doing fine. I think they were suppose to do amazing business and drive the casitas out of business.

While no individual picture stuck out, I really liked the wall. I could never figure out how they could tell who to pay for the paintings. Most of the paintings used the same few colors.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
It would be on your left leaving the beach towards El Batey. They tore down the wall when they built Sosua Bay so they could put in storefronts with AC(but no electric??). They were all empty the last time I was in Sosua in 2004, though the ratty casitas on the other side of the street seemed to be doing fine. I think they were suppose to do amazing business and drive the casitas out of business.

While no individual picture stuck out, I really liked the wall. I could never figure out how they could tell who to pay for the paintings. Most of the paintings used the same few colors.

Isn't there a WALL-MART there now?

May 29, 2006
I stayed in Los Charimicos at the time, less than a block to the beach entrance. Nice couple with an American doing a solar start-up and his Dominican GF. Charimicos was MUCH bigger than El Batey. Only tourists I saw were Canadian and maybe a couple Germans ~fewer than 100 in town in February. If you went to El Batey at night, it was dark enough where you'd need a flashlight.

I had zero Spanish before the trip and one day I wanted to get a guagua to Cabarete. I went to some hotel, but I couldn't think of the word for "bus" I tried my best to ask for help...Yo quiero bus.. yo quiero bus.. I know! I know! Yo quiero bus~ura! I didn't make it to Cabarete that day..

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
When I go to Sosua , I lay naked in front of a sign that says,..."Shamuu Blow up doll, free to "Dominicanas"!!!!!!
Works like a charm!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC