Vacation Rentals in Puerta Plata

Linh Nguyen

Aug 11, 2014
Hello.

I'm planning a trip for Aug 27th to Sept 2 for a fantasy football draft and various activities. We will probably be staying in Cabarete. I had a few questions regarding vacation rentals.

I have a few friends who go to med school in the DR, are vacation rentals open to allowing visitors?

How is the safety? Should I be concerned about getting robbed? We are a group of 4 men.

Thanks in advance for any info.

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
Do you look like you should be robbed?---you should decide whether you will be staying in Puerta Plata or Cabarete,- different towns, different flavors.

Linh Nguyen

Aug 11, 2014
I would imagine we would not be the most desirable targets for a robbery. I've been to quite a few developing countries, so you never know how safe it really is.

I think we will be staying in Cabarete. Which would you suggest? We want access to nightlife, daytime activities.

Linh Nguyen

Aug 11, 2014
Also yes, since we will be conducting about 3 fantasy football drafts that week so reliable internet is a must.

Is that usually a concern in the DR? Reliable internet?

Also, I am 100% sure some of the guys will want to bring working women home.

Thank you so kindly!

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
so is crime up or down in p.p. and or sosua? holdups, always remember that at the beach anywhere in the world crime is high....ladies, drunks, johns,, pimps,,,pros... p.s. dont get drunk,, dont carry large $, dont carry cameras when drinkingat night... dont make yourself a target... always negotiate with a taxi, lady...and deal square...not a place to get drunk, arrested, robbed...and or hit on the head...mugged... stay at a secured place....5 or 10$ extra is not alot...compared to your self respect...

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hello.

I'm planning a trip for Aug 27th to Sept 2 for a fantasy football draft and various activities. We will probably be staying in Cabarete. I had a few questions regarding vacation rentals.

I have a few friends who go to med school in the DR, are vacation rentals open to allowing visitors?

How is the safety? Should I be concerned about getting robbed? We are a group of 4 men.

If you rent a free standing house you do need to be concerned about security. Yes, you should be able to have aadditional people come and visit you. If you are looking for rentals go to vrob.com. Vacation rental by owner. You will find a multitude of listings.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
If you rent a free standing house you do need to be concerned about security. Yes, you should be able to have aadditional people come and visit you. If you are looking for rentals go to vrob.com. Vacation rental by owner. You will find a multitude of listings.

That's vrbo.com. Cabarete is safe as long as you don't act like an idiot. Internet is fine.

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
Everywhere is fine here... as long as you don't act like an idiot as you said so well drstock....

If you're looking and acting like an idiot, then you'll be in trouble... That's Pavlov's law... or Pavlov's dog law ?? or Murphy's law ?? Whatever... just act as you would at home and you'll be fine.

Viajero

Bronze
Dec 16, 2011
You should ask the people you are renting from, as they make the determination on the rules and conditions of their particular rental.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Hello.

First, welcome to DR1!

Puerto Plata, Sosua and Cabarete are often thought of as one big vacation destination. Sometimes people call it the North Coast Complex, as no town is more than about a half-hour from any other town. So you don't really have to do the "Puerto Plata vs. Cabarete" analysis.

That said, and given your needs, I'd suggest you get a villa. They're nice, comfortable, affordable for small groups, have solid wi-fi, and are quite often "guest" friendly, although you should keep in mind that people actually live there, and show some discretion and respect.

Given your interests, I'd suggest Sosua. It's in between Puerto Plata and Cabarete, has a good number of decent restaurants, and is pretty much "ground zero" for the "working women" thing.

The villa complexes most often mentioned on here are residencial hispaniola and residencial casa linda. You can google both of them. You'll need cars or a driver, but that should be obvious with the number of people you have in your party.

The area is as safe as most touristy places in the caribbean, meaning you'll be just fine so long as you use normal common sense.

That means: don't pick any fights, leave the "bling" at home, RUN from anyone offering drugs, get your money exchanged at established cambios (don't trust the guys on the streets), don't drink tap water, when you have "guests" at the house, put your valuables away, etc.

Once you get tired of the "red light" scene in Sosua (which will probably happen very quickly), consider a few evenings in Cabarete. It's very nice, particularly at night.

If you ride motorcycles, there's some good runs in the area, and bikes can be rented in Cabarete for $18/day. Cabarete is world famous for its kitesurfing.

Puerto Plata offers the teleferico "ferry" up Mt. Isabel de Torres, which offers stunning views. There's great ATV and ziplining in the area as well.

My point is there's an awful lot of great "guy's trip" stuff to do on the North Coast in addition to chasing chicas. Take the opportunity and make the most of your vacation.

Be safe and have fun!