Calculating tax on internet purchases

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
I think we should get a thread with a list of people's purchases with how much they had to pay in taxes to bring the item in. I personally have never been charged ITBIS so I have no idea what to expect when the law hits in a few days. If anyone has been charged taxes please let us know what %s you were charged and if delays occured, along with the type of item it was so future purchasers can have a better idea of what types of items charge really high %s or take a really long time to get through aduanas. If this law goes through I plan on continuing to buy most products online since I would rather give my money to the government than the companies that pushed for the law to go through. I will also post what tax amounts I pay on purchases I make, thanks everyone and I think this can be a good resource for us.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You might be the only one on the list. Support the DR Government, they support you.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Everybody else is going to stop making purchases online ? Is that what you're saying?

Pretty much yes. Maybe a few people will continue until they get their bill and suffer large delays in getting their item.

Let us know how it goes for you.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I ordered four school blouses yesterday of 7.99 each + usd11 of transport, should arrive in Miami end of this week. I'll report taxes to be paid and delay in getting it.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
I ordered four school blouses yesterday of 7.99 each + usd11 of transport, should arrive in Miami end of this week. I'll report taxes to be paid and delay in getting it.

Thanks a lot Mauricio, I knew I wouldn't be the only one that wants higher quality goods at a decent price and would take the risk of importing our own products, can't wait to hear more.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have an order that was back-ordered and will arrive just in time to get hit by the new taxes. I should know in a couple of days what they charge.

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
I buy a considerable amount of things from Amazon (155 shipments) in the last 6 months. Inded I have 3 shipments due in Santiago on Friday, 15th August but I note the report says the new taxes will apply to shipments received after Friday.

Next week I will most certainly have to repeat an order but it will be for dried goods to ascertain how much more it costs me and the time it takes to deliver. I will post full details when the transaction is completed.

Unlike others I cannot use the Mudanza system as I am European and do not have anyone in the US to pack a case for me and then have it shipped down so I will have to continue using the couriers and pay what is demanded as I will not change my lifestyle at any price.

Pretty much yes. Maybe a few people will continue until they get their bill and suffer large delays in getting their item.

Let us know how it goes for you.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Blue Barrel Filling by Agency

(...) I cannot use the Mudanza system as I am European and do not have anyone in the US to pack a case for me and then have it shipped down...

I think you can find a shipping agency to whom you could have your purchases sent and thus fill a blue barrel.

donP

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I think you can find a shipping agency to whom you could have your purchases sent and thus fill a blue barrel.

donP

Also sounds like a good little side business for someone in US with space to store the boxes or barrels, and fill them for people. Of course, they'd have to be near one of the mundanza shipping areas. A lot of trust would be involved though, I'm a naturally suspicious person :)

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
What makes everybody so sure that Aduanas won't include them (mudanzas) in their "deal"???

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
What makes everybody so sure that Aduanas won't include them (mudanzas) in their "deal"???

all articles and all quotes from the asshole who runs aduanas talk specifically and exclusively about couriers. nothing at all has been said about mudanzas, so far.

Feb 7, 2007
I buy a considerable amount of things from Amazon (155 shipments) in the last 6 months. Inded I have 3 shipments due in Santiago on Friday, 15th August but I note the report says the new taxes will apply to shipments received after Friday.

Next week I will most certainly have to repeat an order but it will be for dried goods to ascertain how much more it costs me and the time it takes to deliver. I will post full details when the transaction is completed.

Unlike others I cannot use the Mudanza system as I am European and do not have anyone in the US to pack a case for me and then have it shipped down so I will have to continue using the couriers and pay what is demanded as I will not change my lifestyle at any price.

There are companies that can "consolidate" the shipments for you...

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
all articles and all quotes from the asshole who runs aduanas talk specifically and exclusively about couriers. nothing at all has been said about mudanzas, so far.

I am not doubting mudanzas will be included. That in fact ?s illegal how they are passing these boxes without opening / taxing.

Feb 7, 2007
Maybe mudanzas have a stronger pull than couriers... who knows. "Negocio Naviero" is not the same as "Aereo" ... mush more heavyweight stuff going on.