Avocado Season

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Yesterday my brother-in-law sent me a photo of some of the avocados he picked on our property, with a note that is is only his "share", that 3 other family members got the same amount. This variety is called poponol, they bear fruit twice a year, and they are massive, they look like zucchinis!

IMG_0920.JPG

IMG_0919.JPG

IMG_0921.JPG

IMG_0922.JPG

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
but how do they taste?

Buttery and delicious. Everyone around us grows avocados, but everyone wants ours. On Saturday our cousin took our dogs down to the beach for a walk and swim, and while he was gone someone came in and stole a bunch of them. When he got back he picked them all and took them back to the city.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Buttery and delicious. Everyone around us grows avocados, but everyone wants ours. On Saturday our cousin took our dogs down to the beach for a walk and swim, and while he was gone someone came in and stole a bunch of them. When he got back he picked them all and took them back to the city.

the reason i asked was because some large avocados are watery and lack flavor. the best i am yet to try is the vaunted Simmonds from Jamaica, which is in another league.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Our "crello" avocados are all more or less ready, have been eating them for 2 weeks.
The " inerto" ones, not yet.
Everybody seems to prefer crello, but only grow inerto....... go figure.

This year, for the first time, we have tiny ones that are really, really dense. No kdea what they are called.

Last year we lost lots of avocado to the " carpentero", a bird that drills holes in the fruit. Campisonos told us to hang rags in the tree to scare them off, to no avail. This year I used my mothers technic : I hang CD's on the trees. And it works. I have seen people hang aluminium foil, too.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Our "crello" avocados are all more or less ready, have been eating them for 2 weeks.
The " inerto" ones, not yet.
Everybody seems to prefer crello, but only grow inerto....... go figure.

This year, for the first time, we have tiny ones that are really, really dense. No kdea what they are called.

Last year we lost lots of avocado to the " carpentero", a bird that drills holes in the fruit. Campisonos told us to hang rags in the tree to scare them off, to no avail. This year I used my mothers technic : I hang CD's on the trees. And it works. I have seen people hang aluminium foil, too.

i think those are woodpeckers..

Aug 6, 2006
This year I used my mothers technic : I hang CD's on the trees. And it works. I have seen people hang aluminium foil, too.

It is nice to have a use for those awful CD's you bought because you liked the cover that turned out to cause ear cancer, or those CD's that did not copy right.

I have never met and (unspoiled) aguacate I did not like.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
the reason i asked was because some large avocados are watery and lack flavor. the best i am yet to try is the vaunted Simmonds from Jamaica, which is in another league.

Simmonds are one of the most popular avocados in southern Florida - but huge pits. The thing we like about the poponol is that along with their huge size and great taste, they have tiny pits.

malko

Jan 12, 2013
This year I used my mothers technic : I hang CD's on the trees. And it works. I have seen people hang aluminium foil, too.

It is nice to have a use for those awful CD's you bought because you liked the cover that turned out to cause ear cancer, or those CD's that did not copy right.

I have never met and (unspoiled) aguacate I did not like.

Also the fact that with the digital revolution, u buy a burnt CD of merengue, copy it on ure hard drive...... and voil?.
Music and a bird repeller for 30 pesos !!

May 29, 2006
I've had very good luck freezing avocados after mashing them. I freeze them in quart or gallon Ziplock bags only 1/2" thick so they thaw quickly. They don't go black at all. But with guacamole, the fresh tomatoes don't do so well after freezing.

Last edited:

malko

Jan 12, 2013
I've had very good luck freezing avocados after mashing them. I freeze them in quart or gallon Ziplock bags only 1/2" thick so they thaw quickly. They don't go black at all. But with guacamole, the fresh tomatoes don't do so well after freezing.

Ever tried with slices ?? I am curious.

May 29, 2006
Yes, it works with slices too. I worked at a place where we had an avocado sandwich. I'd put the slices between burger patty papers and they'd thaw in the few minutes it would take me to make the sandwich.

At $2.50 each and a short shelf life, Avocados are a huge hassle to try to manage in the restaurant business. People whine when a 2oz side of guac is $2, but even at that price, the restaurant is lucky to break even. It prob one of the hardest types of produce to manage because when you order by the case, they can be rock hard or about to go black when they come in the door. What's an avocado cost in the DR now? Twenty pesos?

One piece of equipment I really like is an avocado harp. About $5 at Bed Bath and Beyond and other stores:
41aK76eDu6L._SY300_.jpg

You want the kind with a squishy edge so it conforms to different sizes.

malko

Jan 12, 2013
At la sirena, the crello avocados were on offerta 30 pesos cada uno !!!!!!
Thankfully all mine come from my trees.......... I will now try freezing them come the end of the season..