Forbes Magazine Ranks the DR at the Bottom for Reliable Countries.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Forbes: DR is Least Reliable Country

This is not good.

The Most And Least Reliable Countries To Do Business In

Which are the least reliable countries? I?ve also listed the worst 25 below, starting with the least resilient. The Dominican Republic ranks at the very bottom of the list. As an island nation in the middle of the Caribbean it is vulnerable to both hurricanes and earthquakes. Also its infrastructure is crumbling and building codes are lax, says Jon Hall, an executive vice president at FM Global. Corruption is a huge problem. The German NGO Transparency International pegs the D.R. at No. 123 out of 177 companies it ranks, with No. 1 being the least corrupt (Denmark and New Zealand are the least corrupt countries in the world, according to the NGO). Venezuela is the second-least-resilient. Like the D.R., it is subject to intense hurricanes and flooding. It also has very poor insurance against fire risk, and ranks even lower than the D.R. on Transparency International?s list, at 160.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I would say infrastructure is improving except the electrcity and while building codes exist but aren't enforced, building rarely fail in either earthquake or hurricane. Corruption is really the main problem.

bonao99

Jun 11, 2005
infrastructure is crumbling

I do not agree with this one. in the last 20 years there ve been a lot of development in infractutures:
Duarte bridge, Tunnels, Metro, Duarte autopista was widened from two to four lanes. Highways to the east
are brand new. We went from 2 major airports to 4.

in the other hand corruption is rampant and education is stuck in neutral.

Eugeniefs

Jan 24, 2008
I agree with Bob, infrastructure (particularly here in PC) has been improving these last couple of years. So far so good re: buildings as we haven't had any real bad storms recently (fingers crossed) and no major earthquakes (again fingers crossed). I would say that poor Haiti gets the brunt of these things!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
We rarely have earthquake nor hurricane problems and the building code is anything but lax. It is inconsistently applied; mostly in the poor and remote areas. I'm afraid the analysis is based on very little experience with the DR unfortunately.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
IMO, the single act the gubmint can perform that would change the future of the DR far more than ANY other is the creation and implementation of a working civil service system with *zero* cronyism involved.

That changes everything the gubmint touches.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Don't dismiss the worthless electric sector as not significant!!!!!!
IT is HUGE!!!!!!!
EXPENSIVE, and unreliable to boot.
Important to investors.
The "Water" supply system is also a joke.
An "UNFUNNY Joke"!
Also important to investors.
AND, the DR's penchant to "Change The Rules" after the investment has been made, and the "Game" already started.
ASK "Barrike Gold", and "Falconbridge" about THAT!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Aug 6, 2006
The DR is adequate as a place to visit, inadequate as a place to invest for most people, There are places where one can live comfortably, and others where the electricity, phone service are inadequate. I donlt think the water can be considered safe to drink all the time in any part of the country,

Barrick and Falconbridge are no worse to invest in than other mining companies in most of the world, I would not invest in them, but that is because other sectors are more predictably profitable.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the infrastructure holds but it is poorly maintained. and DR has not been hit with a very strong earthquake yet, there is no way of saying what would happen if we had a tremor over 7 in richter scale. i agree that electricity is a big issue and so are labour laws. but again i question why DR ranks lower than sierra leone, syria, afghanistan and so on.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
the infrastructure holds but it is poorly maintained. and DR has not been hit with a very strong earthquake yet, there is no way of saying what would happen if we had a tremor over 7 in richter scale. i agree that electricity is a big issue and so are labour laws. but again i question why DR ranks lower than sierra leone, syria, afghanistan and so on.

I question why they even ranked. Who in their right mind try to do business in Syria ? :)

Curacaoleno

Bronze
Apr 26, 2013
I question why they even ranked. Who in their right mind try to do business in Syria ? :)

Die hard Entrepreneurs and people who wanna make real money!

I know people who invested in projects in Colombia during the days of Escobar... They are real rich now as prices has been rising since than!

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
the report was produced by informed people with worldwide experience i have not heard anyone dipute their methodology or sources. but mostly " thats not true"; my baby is NOT ugly.

i have also not heard much suggested of how the rank can be improved.

so, given the report what do you suggest to address the deficits identified by the report?

Aug 6, 2006
=======================================
My guess is that there are no statistics for Syria or Afghanistan (how could there be?), and probably not for Sierra Leone or Lebanon.

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
DR is VERY RELIABLE country to do BUSINESS in. Those stupid Forbes pussies just have no idea what BUSINESS is all about. Drug trafficking, money laundering, etc... these types of BUSINESS are on the rise in DR!!! Better than anywhere else!

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Die hard Entrepreneurs and people who wanna make real money!

I know people who invested in projects in Colombia during the days of Escobar... They are real rich now as prices has been rising since than!

I know , just not the type of people who would read the Forbes ranking.